NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dustin Pedroia 2017 Outlook

Entering his age 33 season, what is everyone expecting from Pedroia this year? 

Was very solid last season, hit .318 with 15 homers and 105 runs scored. He ended the year as a top 10 2B but he was overlooked because of players like Altuve, Villar, and Murphy. 

Where would you put him going into the season?

• The Harsh changed the title to Dustin Pedroia 2017 Outlook
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Regretting drafting my fantasy man crush of years past. He's at least been hitting recently but any sign of power has been MIA.

Edited by KrunK

He's borderline droppable in 10-team mixed and possibly deeper with the depth of the 2B position right now.  The Sox lineup as a whole is looking very ordinary so far, and though I think he'll still pop 10 homers and be a batting average asset, that's just not enough to earn a top 10 2B ranking nowadays.  Definitely my next drop, and would be off my team already if Bellinger were staying up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tempted to just straight drop this guy in a 14 team keeper and roll with Merrifield from here on out. Was hitting well then got plunked and is back to not doing anything. Bleh. Not scoring runs, not stealing bases, zero power. Don't see any reason to hold if he's back to his single digit homerun days.

I'm holding for now because of my circumstances (rolling with Pirela and C. Taylor at 2B, MI and don't quite trust them yet. WW is garbage), in case he heats up at some point. But I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping him in any size league. He's at the top of my drop list if I have a sudden need come up.

10 minutes ago, Caelum said:

I'm holding for now because of my circumstances (rolling with Pirela and C. Taylor at 2B, MI and don't quite trust them yet. WW is garbage), in case he heats up at some point. But I wouldn't blame anyone for dropping him in any size league. He's at the top of my drop list if I have a sudden need come up.

That's what I'm afraid of well but at this point I think I'm just going to cut bait and say my farewell to the man named laser show. Loved drafting him back during his prime, but those days have come and gone.

31 minutes ago, KrunK said:

Tempted to just straight drop this guy in a 14 team keeper and roll with Merrifield from here on out. Was hitting well then got plunked and is back to not doing anything. Bleh. Not scoring runs, not stealing bases, zero power. Don't see any reason to hold if he's back to his single digit homerun days.

The rib/back plunking thing is causing him to be unable to maneuver his hands and arms enough to adjust to inside pitches they were saying.  Same goes for extending on outside pitches.  He has been dinged up all season and the latest is the worst of the lot.  He can't get any power right now.  And when he heals enough to, well, he is getting old.  Still really great in the field despite everything but not hitting and hitting is what fantasy baseball is about.

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The rib/back plunking thing is causing him to be unable to maneuver his hands and arms enough to adjust to inside pitches they were saying.  Same goes for extending on outside pitches.  He has been dinged up all season and the latest is the worst of the lot.  He can't get any power right now.  And when he heals enough to, well, he is getting old.  Still really great in the field despite everything but not hitting and hitting is what fantasy baseball is about.

Yep, Machado's spiking and now this haven't helped. Part of the disappointment is the general lack of production by the Sox offense. Pedey's OBP is still .358, not bad. If the guys after him were raking, he'd at least still contribute R and AVG over your garden variety MI. I'm holding b/c the MI options aren't much better and I still have a Homer's hope that the offense will heat up post-ASB.

3 hours ago, KrunK said:

I dropped him in my 12 teamer a couple days ago. Just really dead weight at this point. Good ballplayer, good hitter, but not putting up anything needed fantasy wise. He's an average old player at this point in my eyes - to old to run, to old to hit for power, injured twice this year already, and doesn't have Ortiz to drive him in. League mate grabbed him of waivers - but i haven't lost any sleep since dropping him.

I agree there's not much out there on the WW - but anything at this point is better. Jose Pierla's been filling in for me until something more permanent comes along.

Kind of interesting that we are all thinking the same thing at the same time. My ww in a 10 team league has much better options...2 HRs this year from Pedroia with middling run/rbi #s won't cut it. Phillips from ATL looks good right now.

Am dropping him for now. The good thing about his slump is that most owners would not pick him up right now.

Edited by Pablo989
Typo

I traded Justin Smoak for him a few weeks ago (I knew the deal was lopsided but Neil Walker went down and needed someone and I had 5 1B). To be honest, he's the next drop on my team.  But he does still get on base pretty well, has a decent Avg and he doesn't strikeout (A category in my league).  I agree with the poster above, if the rest of the Sox start hitting behind him, he could put up some runs. I'll take 4 category guy as my backup 2B right now. 

Edited by Mickey Donovan

should be well above average in OBP (average?) and runs... those are categories, too people!

Curious where you lot rank Pedroia in comparison to other middle infielders floating around on some waivers, like Merrifield, Scooter, Barreto, Harrison, and Lowrie

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

should be well above average in OBP (average?) and runs... those are categories, too people!

Curious where you lot rank Pedroia in comparison to other middle infielders floating around on some waivers, like Merrifield, Scooter, Barreto, Harrison, and Lowrie

I'd probably put him slightly behind Merrifield and Harrison. Ahead of the rest. But that's just me. 

• 3 weeks later...