NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Gary Sanchez 2017 Outlook

DerekQ

18 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

no chance

if anyone takes a another catcher not named gary first off the board next year then they need there head examined 

Even playing on one of the worst teams in baseball, Posey is still ahead of Sanchez on the player rater, although granted, he's managed 60 more ABs by staying healthier.

Posey has a chance at the batting title, hitting .320. He's been doing it for a longer time, and no one is expecting the Giants to be nearly as bad with injuries and stuff next year. So his R/RBI should project much higher. He always throws in a few extra steals too.

On the other hand, Sanchez' power speaks for itself and is definitely difficult to pass up.

I'm just saying it's close. They actually have the same OPS right now (.884) due to Posey's crazy .410 OBP.

If Posey were a couple years older, it'd be different. But it's definitely not a "head examined" advantage for either side.

These last few weeks could make the difference one way or the other.

Edited by Fiveohnine

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Even playing on one of the worst teams in baseball, Posey is still ahead of Sanchez on the player rater, although granted, he's managed 60 more ABs by staying healthier.

Posey has a chance at the batting title, hitting .320. He's been doing it for a longer time, and no one is expecting the Giants to be nearly as bad with injuries and stuff next year. So his R/RBI should project much higher. He always throws in a few extra steals too.

On the other hand, Sanchez' power speaks for itself and is definitely difficult to pass up.

I'm just saying it's close. They actually have the same OPS right now (.884) due to Posey's crazy .410 OBP.

If Posey were a couple years older, it'd be different. But it's definitely not a "head examined" advantage for either side.

These last few weeks could make the difference one way or the other.

posey lack of power makes it a no brainer... paired with terrible power suppressing home ballpark and age 

he will be lucky to sniff 15 bombs and most will propject gary for 30

his counting stats will also smash posey as he is in a much better lineup in a little league field

empty avg is what posey will offer again

I would take Gary over Posey too.  I don't think SF's issues are a one year fix.  They will be better next year than they are this year but I don't see them getting back into the playoff hunt for a bit meaning you can prob count on mediocre counting stats for Posey again.  I would, however, take Posey over Contreras.

If Gary didn't miss that month with the arm issue his numbers could have approached 40 plus hrs and 100 plus rbi... Like others have stated his cold streaks could be long and frustrating but when Gary gets hot, he stays hot and it's glorious.  Gary has an outside shot and 35 and 100 this season even with the missed month and he could eclipse 90 runs scored as well.

My point is I think he is the easy choice next year over Posey for number 1 overall catcher.

9 hours ago, chud12 said:

If Gary didn't miss that month with the arm issue his numbers could have approached 40 plus hrs and 100 plus rbi... Like others have stated his cold streaks could be long and frustrating but when Gary gets hot, he stays hot and it's glorious.  Gary has an outside shot and 35 and 100 this season even with the missed month and he could eclipse 90 runs scored as well.

My point is I think he is the easy choice next year over Posey for number 1 overall catcher.

Until he goes on an extended cold streak and then you jump ship again.  I kid, I kid, kinda... ;)

I obviously hope for more than what I am projecting since I own him, but I think he falls short of 100 unless he can avoid another extended cold streak in September.  Still, even if he barely cracks 90 and falls short of 35 HR's, he should still have a monster season for a catcher and then hit 35-40 with 100 RBIs next year if he can stay healthy and the Yankees get a real lead-off hitter.  Gardner is ok, but he should be batting in the bottom half of the lineup.

I would probably take Sanchez first amongst catchers unless I really needed the batting average, but I wouldn't be laughing at the person who took Posey either since he's been an absolute rock with nearly 150 games played every season starting in 2012.

Edited by KilloWertz

On 8/23/2017 at 11:35 AM, colepenhagen said:

no chance

if anyone takes a another catcher not named gary first off the board next year then they need their head examined

Willson Contreras got red hot before he got injured and had one more homer than Sanchez when he went out on the DL.  And that was after a very slow start.  But once Montero was traded away he went ballistic too.  I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either one of these young catching studs. 

I think they will battle it out next season as the top two catchers in baseball.  And both on good reams in good hitters' ballparks.  Hard to choose between the two except Sanchez has the advantage in playing in the modern, sensible league with the DH so more ABs.  But it is all good and Contreras was still getting some starts in the outfield this year even after Montero was traded.  (Sorry, Posey, but you play on a crummy team in a bad ballpark for hitters and your knees have more mileage on them than these guys).

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Willson Contreras got red hot before he got injured and had one more homer than Sanchez when he went out on the DL.  And that was after a very slow start.  But once Montero was traded away he went ballistic too.  I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either one of these young catching studs. 

I think they will battle it out next season as the top two catchers in baseball.  And both on good reams in good hitters' ballparks.  Hard to choose between the two except Sanchez has the advantage in playing in the modern, sensible league with the DH so more ABs.  But it is all good and Contreras was still getting some starts in the outfield this year even after Montero was traded.  (Sorry, Posey, but you play on a crummy team in a bad ballpark for hitters and your knees have more mileage on them than these guys).

MLB clapping applause clap yankees GIF

5 hours ago, heyeaglefn said:

He threw a punch but hard to tell if it landed lol

Either way, he's getting suspended once MLB sees the videos.  I don't think it will be any longer than a few games though, and he will undoubtedly appeal since almost everyone does.

I would say it's poor timing since he's on an epic hot streak, but it has to come to an end at some point, and I would have expected that time to be pretty soon anyways.  Obviously not having him for any amount of games sucks regardless, but I think we'll survive with doing some plug and play with the catcher slot for a few games once he begins serving the suspension.  Honestly, what he has done over the course of this streak is enough to compensate for quite some time.

On a more positive note, it had gotten to the point where you came to expect a HR from Sanchez on a daily basis.  It's been pretty much a safe bet you would have at least 1 HR in your team's box score every day the Yankees play.

Edited by KilloWertz

Can anyone offer up a timeline on how this plays out regarding a suspension?

Hoping with the appeal he plays most of next week. Losing him next weekend and the first few games into the next week would probably be best case scenario in my situation. Don't want want to drop anybody to fill his spot.

1 hour ago, MrBrett said:

Can anyone offer up a timeline on how this plays out regarding a suspension?

Hoping with the appeal he plays most of next week. Losing him next weekend and the first few games into the next week would probably be best case scenario in my situation. Don't want want to drop anybody to fill his spot.

It's hard to know for sure since a lot of it depends on how severe they think Sanchez's actions were.  Probably anywhere between 5-10 games sounds like a reasonable estimate.  I think it's pretty safe to say he will be out at least a week depending on how many off days they have during the time he actually serves his suspension.  As long as we get to squeeze out the last little bit he likely has left in his hot streak, it won't be so bad.

15 hours ago, Folarin said:

Suspension looming

Yeah and speculation on Fox Sports Whiparound was probably 10 days too.  That 7 days would be the very best the Yankees could hope for but not likely.  Dumb dumb kid.  Does he not know we need him on our fantasy teams!

As to when the suspension begins a lot would have to do with Romine's as well.  Yankees could well decide to appeal one suspension while dropping the other to try and stagger the impact of losing both catchers at the same time.  Be interested in the scuttlebutt today from NY.