NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Gary Sanchez 2017 Outlook

DerekQ

No way it is only 2 games.  The Fox Whiparound people were saying 10 games based on past suspensions due to such-and-such.  They weren't just guessing 10 games based on thin air.  They were citing chapter and verse.  But the Yankees appealing this could keep Sanchez playing into the Red Sox series maybe.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No way it is only 2 games.  The Fox Whiparound people were saying 10 games based on past suspensions due to such-and-such.  They weren't just guessing 10 games based on thin air.  They were citing chapter and verse.  But the Yankees appealing this could keep Sanchez playing into the Red Sox series maybe.

O I know there is no chance. I can hope though. 

36 minutes ago, chud12 said:

O I know there is no chance. I can hope though. 

Yeah, you can hope.  Like I've said a couple of times already though, from a fantasy perspective, at least this happened this far along into his hot streak.  It's likely to end soon since it can't go on forever.  Of course losing him at all sucks, but at least we got what should be pretty much all of his crazy hot streak.

9 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Yeah, you can hope.  Like I've said a couple of times already though, from a fantasy perspective, at least this happened this far along into his hot streak.  It's likely to end soon since it can't go on forever.  Of course losing him at all sucks, but at least we got what should be pretty much all of his crazy hot streak.

This streak is similar to the streak Sanchez went on last year so we are in agreement with that. 

51 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Didn't Bryce Harper get like 3 games earlier this year, I thought his was worse.

4 minutes ago, heyeaglefn said:

Didn't Bryce Harper get like 3 games earlier this year, I thought his was worse.

Very good point as I agree his actions were def worse.  Harper's suspension was originally 5 and was reduced to 3. I now think Gary only gets 2 games.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/05/31/bryce-harpers-suspension-reduced-to-three-games/

Edited by chud12

3 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Very good point as I agree his actions were def worse.  Harper's suspension was originally 5 and was reduced to 3. I now think Gary only gets 2 games.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/05/31/bryce-harpers-suspension-reduced-to-three-games/

Someone getting plunked and charging the mound not the same as charging off of the bench and participating in a brawl, sucker punching a guy on the ground lol.

Sanchez's was worse and the suspension will reflect that. 

5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Someone getting plunked and charging the mound not the same as charging off of the bench and participating in a brawl, sucker punching a guy on the ground lol.

Sanchez's was worse and the suspension will reflect that. 

super meh GIF

Edited by chud12

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I been hearing 5 games ..... we shall see

18 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

not defending the sucker punching, but throwing a fastball at someone is just as bad as a suckerpunch to the ribs, if not worse.

Even if you buy that, Betances is the only guy who went at somebody's head. There's no way a fastball to the midsection is worse than a sucker punch and Sanchez did it twice.

15 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

Even if you buy that, Betances is the only guy who went at somebody's head. There's no way a fastball to the midsection is worse than a sucker punch and Sanchez did it twice.

Yeah Sanchez didn't just hit one guy.  He hit two.  That is what adds onto the suspension time over just one sucker punch only.

This is not a wish or prayer of mine but I would expect MLB to treat all the characters fairly harshly to make a statement.  I would peg Sanchez's punishment will be 10 games (no less) and stagger from there with a couple getting 8, some 5 gamers and a couple 1 gamers perhaps.  To the poster asking about appeals, I'd expect rulings to happen within the 5 day week from date of appeal, thus why Romine will probably just accept pending Sanchez appeal.

3 hours ago, radioflyer9 said:

When do we expect that these suspensions will be announced? My H2H playoffs start the first week of September! Hopefully he starts serving his suspension now to get it over with 

Unlikely. It will be given, but very likely most, including Sanchez, will challenge for a shorter suspension. I'd guess he'll start serving the week of your playoffs. 

2 hours ago, Marty Funkhouser said:

I think this old baseball tradition of  intentionally hitting someone with the baseball because a guy is absolutely killing you needs to end. Not excusing anything that happened after the fact but Fulmer plunking Sanchez was the definitive cause for all of that mess.

I haven't seen anyone, other than Yankees fan, think that Fulmer intentionally hit Sanchez. He's had numbness, lost it immediately, and could tell by his reaction that it got away from him. The Yankees moronic response(s), while fighting for a playoff spot, was more a cause, and I'm certain the length of suspensions will agree with me. 

26 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I haven't seen anyone, other than Yankees fan, think that Fulmer intentionally hit Sanchez. He's had numbness, lost it immediately, and could tell by his reaction that it got away from him. The Yankees moronic response(s), while fighting for a playoff spot, was more a cause, and I'm certain the length of suspensions will agree with me. 

So last series, Fulmer hits Ellsbury after the Yanks accidentally hit Mahtook twice, because why else would anyone hit Mahtook.  Then yesterday, it was just a coincidence Fulmer hits Sanchez after Sanchez hit his 4th HR of the series in his previous at bat?  Riiiiiiiiiight.  Also, with a 6-3 lead, Fulmer feels numbness or pain after recently coming off the DL, so he comes out of the game immediately as a precaution, right?  No, he finishes the inning.  But then that has to be it for the day, as a precaution, right?  Nope, he comes out for the next inning.  The numbness was an act to try to throw off suspicion, and you fell for it.

It was intentional, it was stupid, and it is the one thing from yesterday that most needs to be changed to keep things like yesterday from happening.  Hitting their guy because they hit your guy is "An eye for an eye."  Hitting a guy because he hit a HR (or 4) off of you is "An eye because I sucked."

Edited by TopChuckie

43 minutes ago, TopChuckie said:

So last series, Fulmer hits Ellsbury after the Yanks accidentally hit Mahtook twice, because why else would anyone hit Mahtook.  Then yesterday, it was just a coincidence Fulmer hits Sanchez after Sanchez hit his 4th HR of the series in his previous at bat?  Riiiiiiiiiight.  Also, with a 6-3 lead, Fulmer feels numbness or pain after recently coming off the DL, so he comes out of the game immediately as a precaution, right?  No, he finishes the inning.  But then that has to be it for the day, as a precaution, right?  Nope, he comes out for the next inning.  The numbness was an act to try to throw off suspicion, and you fell for it.

It was intentional, it was stupid, and it is the one thing from yesterday that most needs to be changed to keep things like yesterday from happening.  Hitting their guy because they hit your guy is "An eye for an eye."  Hitting a guy because he hit a HR (or 4) off of you is "An eye because I sucked."

???

I agree with you that it's dumb to hit someone because you suck and you can't keep him in the yard. That said, I, as well as most non-invested, non-Yankee fans, don't believe that happened. 

We'll see who MLB agrees with, you or I. Miggy will get a long suspension. But Betances & Sanchez will get longer than Fulmer, I'll bet. 

Edited by Backdoor Slider

1 hour ago, TopChuckie said:

I'd agree if Fulmer had beaned him and then just shrugged it off. But he hopped around and looked up into the sky as if he was disappointed in himself plus he was shaking his hand as if he hurt it or something.

Personally, I think the pitcher's reaction should be given a lot of weight since intent is the entire issue.

Edited by Fiveohnine

A little shocked on the estimates of how long his suspension will be. Tried to do some research on the subject and since there's no specific penalties for coming off the bench, fighting and  throwing cheap shots you can only go by past suspensions for any clue on long his suspension will be. The cheap shots are the aggravating factor, just not sure it's going to double or triple the length of the suspension. 

Just heard on MLB network that an announcement on fines and suspensions could be announced as soon as today.

Depending on how much coverage those cheap shots get, I could see MLB trying to make an example out of Sanchez. I mean things would get real ugly real fast if everyone who had nothing to do with the incident suddenly came out of the dugout/bullpen to throw blows at anyone in range. On the other hand, they might consider him part of the "incident" depending on how they view the beaning (which as I said seemed unintentional to me)

Edited by Fiveohnine