NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Gary Sanchez 2017 Outlook

DerekQ

• Replies 630
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Yankees were going to keep the appeal going as long as possible since there was the tough Cleveland series followed by the current 4 game series (and the last meeting of the regular season) with the Red Sox so it was kind of funny hearing people last page wondering why he wouldn't just serve his suspension right away.  This series vs current division leader Boston is the most important the Yanks have left on their schedule.

So if the appeal is heard today will the decision be handed down the same day or is that a day or two away?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I, a well known Red Sox fan here, hereby thank Yankee star Gary Sanchez for leading my fantasy team to victory in the first round of the playoffs.  Yet more evidence that no one should ever play fantasy baseball as a "homer" but always appreciate the great players of the game no matter their teams.  Because in the end it is all about my (our) teams and them wearing my (our) fantasy teams' uniforms.

I would also like to thank MLB's front office for giving Gary a ridiculously small suspension and then reducing it by one game.  My check is in the mail to you all, heh.

And Gary.  No more sucker punching anyone until fantasy playoffs are over.

12 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

That would be nice since I have him on all my teams. But no catcher ever comes close to 161 games.

True but few catcher have 17 games as the DH so far in the season either.  And would have more barring his injury.

He has started in 106 games.  89 at catcher and 17 as DH so far. He appeared (not started) twice at 1B too.  Don't know how many games he pinched hit in.

Don't know how many games he missed on the DL (a lot) and he also missed 3 with his suspension.  Subtract those two totals from 162 as well as the games remaining and you get a real sense in how many games he plays in.  (Hint: A ton for a catcher).

NL, this is why the DH is great.  Maddon has to risk Contreras running around in the OF to get him extra ABs.  Please remove your league from the dead ball era asap.

12 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

True but few catcher have 17 games as the DH so far in the season either.  And would have more barring his injury.

He has started in 106 games.  89 at catcher and 17 as DH so far. He appeared (not started) twice at 1B too.  Don't know how many games he pinched hit in.

Don't know how many games he missed on the DL (a lot) and he also missed 3 with his suspension.  Subtract those two totals from 162 as well as the games remaining and you get a real sense in how many games he plays in.  (Hint: A ton for a catcher).

NL, this is why the DH is great.  Maddon has to risk Contreras running around in the OF to get him extra ABs.  Please remove your league from the dead ball era asap so fans can see their star players play.  And no "strategy" argument stuff.  That "strategy" is something a third grader can do in their sleep.

Yeah, Sanchez is an everyday player for the Yankees at this point.  He catches a little and DHs the rest to keep his bat in the lineup.  If Girardi does something similar to this next season, he will have far more Games Played than any other catcher.  Obviously he's going to have days off, but I don't see any reason why you can't pencil him in for at least 145 games next year barring injury.  Again, that is if Girardi does this again next season to keep his bat in the lineup.

This actually all seemed to come about because of the brief benching he gave Sanchez, so maybe that ended up being a really good thing in the end.

Career through 165 games so far:

.286, 51 HR, 127 RBI, 108 R

Absolutely insane for anyone to begin their career, let alone a catcher.

He's been by far the most valuable catcher in fantasy baseball this year and that's despite the month he missed due to an injury (not to mention his suspension). There's no other fantasy catcher on his level.

And he looks to be a near-everyday player for the foreseeable future.

He's going to be going quite high on draft boards next year. The one good thing is that the month he missed due to injury may slightly suppress his draft stock, because the final 2017 numbers won't look as gaudy as they could have been.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright

1 hour ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Career through 165 games so far:

.286, 51 HR, 127 RBI, 108 R

Absolutely insane for anyone to begin their career, let alone a catcher.

He's been by far the most valuable catcher in fantasy baseball this year and that's despite the month he missed due to an injury (not to mention his suspension). There's no other fantasy catcher on his level.

And he looks to be a near-everyday player for the foreseeable future.

He's going to be going quite high on draft boards next year. The one good thing is that the month he missed due to injury may slightly suppress his draft stock, because the final 2017 numbers won't look as gaudy as they could have been.

he will be taken ahead of posey probably mid 2nd im guessing.  i actually took him in the 2nd this year in our mock draft, i was that high on him.

yanks wont have holiday next year, and i dont see them signing a DH type player because i bet they will try and get sanchez 50 or so games there

53 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

holy balls thats insane (his stat line)

love gary and own him in multiple leagues but no chance i take him before rd 4... catcher position is a b*tch and they get beat up and decline/downyear fast

you are crazy for this cole

guy is def gonna DH a ton next year.

even his out just now was a rocket right at the left fielder.  ps, are you checking that 16 teamer we are in on yahoo?

17 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

you are crazy for this cole

guy is def gonna DH a ton next year.

even his out just now was a rocket right at the left fielder.  ps, are you checking that 16 teamer we are in on yahoo?

fair enough but mid/late 3rd would be as high as i would go for gary

if you have to use a 2nd rd pick on him you are going to pass on some players i would feel much better about

are you going to pass on rizzo, votto, stanton, harper, jdm, carlos, springer, mookie, bellinger, murphy, bryant, machado, trea, seager (homer), freeman, abreu

thats 16 players then throw in trout, arenado blackmon, kershaw, goldy, altuve, max, bum, sale, kluber

so that knocks him out of the 2nd rd easily for me but mid/late 3rd might be in play depending who else is left

i could see a case made that gary could/couldnt go above the likes of j up, lindor, dozier, thor. stras, donaldson, judge, dee, edwin, nelly

what about schoop hosmer, ozuna, jose? all putting in top 25 years (i would take gary very easily over them)

Sanchez gives you the best player in a slot most owners "wait on" and snooze and lose on.  He plays 6 games a week (5 worst case) and tramples your opponent's counterpart week after week.  Hell yeah he should be taken in the second round.  You can work around a lot of the names you mentioned some of who would fall to the third round anyway.  But you can' t work around Gary.  There is no way you opponents can compensate for the extra from the catching slot he will give you weekly (h2h) or daily (roto).   He is the afterburner to your team in h2h and mauls the other team's catcher in roto.

And as an example from above, I'd sure take him before say Springer any day of the week.  Have you seen what Springer has NOT done the last 2 months.  Springer is now and always has been inconsistent.  They both have the same amount of homers this season but one is a brilliant but very inconsistent outfielder.  Another is the lights out best catcher in the rarest position to get a 30+ home run hitter.  And pretty consistent besides.  No brainer you take Gary.

If you are a good owner you can compensate a lot at every other position on your team.  Except catcher.  Sanchez in the catching slot gives you the winning edge.

Of course I personally don't care.  I only play dynasty and have him on 2 or my 4 teams and he is totally untradeable for anyone -- even Trout -- on those teams.  I can compensate enough to win with not owning Trout.  I can't for not owning Gary.  (It is about building a winning team and putting the components together in a way to win in the end).