NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jackie Bradley Jr. 2017 Outlook

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jackie led off the top of the second inning and the NESN broadcasters started right in about how he's been working with Chili Davis (hitting coach) on staying back in his stance longer. Almost on cue Jackie stayed back on an off speed pitch for an opposite field HR.

Here's hoping this will send him on a regression tear...

It occurred to me he was hitting in the front half of the order a lot to start the season. Batting 7th today (@MIL), maybe he's just more comfortable near the bottom? If I remember correctly last year when he had his hot streaks he was down in the 9 hole for a lot of it.

EDIT: Next AB with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd, struck out on four pitches.

Edited by Lebanasty

Just traded for him and am very happy about it. Capable of 4-6 week long streaks where he's a world beater. Did it in 2015, did it in 2016. I urge you, check in with the owner in your league and see if you can buy low. 

Someone dropped him a couple days ago in my league right before he hit a HR in last nights game and tonight's game. I'm hoping I can snag him off waivers. He can be an annoying player to own because of his streaks but when he's on, in that lineup, he's one of the most underrated fantasy assets in the game. 

On 5/10/2017 at 9:10 PM, Lebanasty said:

Jackie led off the top of the second inning and the NESN broadcasters started right in about how he's been working with Chili Davis (hitting coach) on staying back in his stance longer. Almost on cue Jackie stayed back on an off speed pitch for an opposite field HR.

Here's hoping this will send him on a regression tear...

It occurred to me he was hitting in the front half of the order a lot to start the season. Batting 7th today (@MIL), maybe he's just more comfortable near the bottom? If I remember correctly last year when he had his hot streaks he was down in the 9 hole for a lot of it.

EDIT: Next AB with 2 outs and runners on 1st and 2nd, struck out on four pitches.

He's no doubt better at the bottom of the order, his best stretches last year were when he was hitting 9th. The weather warmin up, this is just a sign of things to come

• 2 weeks later...

Don't see how you can buy low at this point, that ship has sailed for the time being.

Over the last 3 weeks he's added 55 points to his BA.

Over his last 7 games he's batting .333 with 3 HRs, 10 RBIs, and only 4 Ks...

Really hope they leave him in the bottom half of the lineup. 

Just now, Lebanasty said:

Don't see how you can buy low at this point, that ship has sailed for the time being.

Over the last 3 weeks he's added 55 points to his BA.

Over his last 7 games he's batting .333 with 3 HRs, 10 RBIs, and only 4 Ks...

Really hope they leave him in the bottom half of the lineup. 

I agree with both points you made. The buy low opp is just about passed if not definitely over with. And I do think they should keep him lower in the lineup. He went on a tear last year in the 7-9 spots and when they moved him up he cooled off in a big way. I think he's comfortable with less pressure on him from hitting at the top of the lineup. Plus from a team perspective, the Sox offense has come alive of late and that's without Pedroia at the top (granted he's been off to a rough start this year).

I abhor people that come into a thread and post an "I told you so." It's just a weak, immature move by someone desperate for validation from people he'll never even meet in real life. Something only a giant loser would do.

• 2 weeks later...

3 hits and a bomb last night.  

An argument could be made that he should be batting in the 2 hole.  He is having a better year than Benintendi!

47 minutes ago, B&F said:

3 hits and a bomb last night.  

An argument could be made that he should be batting in the 2 hole.  He is having a better year than Benintendi!

Sorry but the last statement you made is completely false. Plus every time the Sox bring JBJ to the top of the lineup he goes into a slump. It happened last year after his long hitting streak and again this year when they tried him in the 2 hole. Btw here are the numbers for both JBJ and Benintendi this year. JBJ is having a nice year but not nearly as good as Benintendi.

JBJ - 23 R, 9 HR, 31 RBI, 2 SB, .261 AVG, and .351 OBP

Benintendi - 35 R, 9 HR, 39 RBI, 8 SB, .274 AVG and .342 OBP

21 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

Sorry but the last statement you made is completely false. Plus every time the Sox bring JBJ to the top of the lineup he goes into a slump. It happened last year after his long hitting streak and again this year when they tried him in the 2 hole. Btw here are the numbers for both JBJ and Benintendi this year. JBJ is having a nice year but not nearly as good as Benintendi.

Agree with everything you said about his spot in the lineup. I actually like him hitting 9th the most. But as far as the stats go, the big difference is the counting stats and I imagine lineup position has a lot to say about Benintendi's higher counts.

22 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

But over the last 30 days+ JBJ has been everything Beni wishes he could be.....

Beni : 23/87 - 12 / 4 / 15 / 3 / .264 / .753 or last 2 weeks : 12/43 - 4 / 1 / 8 / 0 / .279 / .746

JBJ : 29/92 - 13 / 5 / 20 / 0 / .315 / .998 or last 2 weeks : 17/51 - 17 / 2 / 7 / 0 / .333 / .983

On 6/28/2017 at 8:03 AM, CharlesHustle said:

Just waiting for that 4 week run of 330/9/25/2 to get him were he belongs, then once I pull the trade off, I am set!

Exactly. He's worth owning just for that 4 week stretch when he puts the world on his shoulders. All of this other production is just gravy.

In an odd twist, he's actually hitting like .380 against LHP this season.

16 minutes ago, B&F said:

Probably an even better real life player with his defense.

I think it's safe to say that he is where he is because of his defense. There was a long stretch in the beginning when he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat but he's one of the best centerfielders in baseball so he hid at the bottom of the lineup and was given time to come around on offense. His 2015 August was stuff dreams are made of and then it carried over into 2016 with his hit streak.

I think this is the year he wins a gold glove. Although Kiermaier's injury plays a part in that too. I'm going to enjoy watching the three AL East CF studs battle it out for years to come over the title.

Somewhere out in the interwebs there's video of JBJ throwing a ball into the center field stands from home plate at Fenway. That's a little bit bananas. What's better than a canon? Surface-to-air missile?