NBC Sports Edge Forums

Nomar Mazara 2017 Outlook

I'm not going to keep arguing about Mazara, or age.

if you guys want to love him then more power to you.

if you're going to keep quoting me or mentioning me then I'm going to come and reply.

Edited by SpecialFNK
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You hear that, people? Let's take him at his word, and see exactly what it's worth.

In the spirit of that great 1950s movie that they air every year around this time:

Let the name of SpecialFNK be stricken from every book and tablet... stricken from all pylons and obelisks... stricken from every monument of fantasy baseball. Let the name of SpecialFNK be unheard and unspoken... erased from the memory of this thread for all time. 

Edited by amcsoldier
1 hour ago, mulhollandvelvet said:

Somehow this post is more relevant to Nomar Mazara's actual talent than the discussion that has taken place on the last three pages. 

Goddam google.  Did it really lead me here?

6 hours ago, kenag122002 said:

Odd, long time Rangers fan (especially prospects) and I would have said the complete opposite.  The day he signed he was touted as having tremendous power and the only concern was contact.  Throughout the minors he showed above average power at every step.

Are you confusing him with Guzman?  They were in the same signing class, and Ronald Guzman was touting as having potentially the best hitting approach in the class but not much power for a 1B and he didn't have the athleticism for other positions...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/international-affairs/2012/2613166.html

I'll admit, I completely forgot about his raw power upon signing. I have more recent articles like this one http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/what-to-expect-nomar-mazara/#MlYIjKsxpUVucFrQ.97, which references a more mature approach and consistently 20-25 HR power in his prime. Reminding me of his raw power as a kid has just made me that much more excited though, scouts aren't always 100% right and he does it so effortlessly.

2 hours ago, Stallion said:

I'll admit, I completely forgot about his raw power upon signing. I have more recent articles like this one http://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/what-to-expect-nomar-mazara/#MlYIjKsxpUVucFrQ.97, which references a more mature approach and consistently 20-25 HR power in his prime. Reminding me of his raw power as a kid has just made me that much more excited though, scouts aren't always 100% right and he does it so effortlessly.

I understand where you are coming from but even that article mentions power 15 times, including "“My grandparents could see he has unbelievable power"

:D

Needs to get in the cage with Hamels on the mound and track some pitches.  I can give him a pass on guys like Duffy and Sale, but he cant not hit against all lefties.  As good as he is against righties all he needs to do is manage .220-.240 against lefties and he will be fine. 

Edited by jdbob11
25 minutes ago, Deke said:

I'm going to regret bumping this thread, but this guy fell off a damn cliff.

He was a feast or famine guy last season as well.  Any given week he could give you a string of multi-hit games or a string of 0-fers.  I'm really hoping he can get past that.  He obviously has great talent imo.

Dude in my league tried offering me Puig/Mazara for Trout last week thinking I'd accept LOL. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

taobell was saying for a while he'd drop off. His issues vs. lefties are very real, and the kid is still so young, it wasn't sustainable to expect him to keep that current pace. I would wait until he gets his value back up and then sell before Beltre knocks him down the order.

7 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Dude in my league tried offering me Puig/Mazara for Trout last week thinking I'd accept LOL. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

taobell was saying for a while he'd drop off. His issues vs. lefties are very real, and the kid is still so young, it wasn't sustainable to expect him to keep that current pace. I would wait until he gets his value back up and then sell before Beltre knocks him down the order.

The best thing they could do for him is to leave him where hes at and knock Napoli down.  Beltre protecting him should mean some better pitches to hit.  He's not getting anything to hit right now and his inexperience has him trying to hard instead of taking his walks. 

Just now, jdbob11 said:

The best thing they could do for him is to leave him where hes at and knock Napoli down.  Beltre protecting him should mean some better pitches to hit.  He's not getting anything to hit right now and his inexperience has him trying to hard instead of taking his walks. 

That's actually a really good point that I agree with. We all know how some of these Managers are when it comes to dropping a veteran, though. Would be the smart move for sure. I'd even consider batting Mazara 2nd to get better pitches and drop Choo who's toast. 

Another donut last night. Rotoworld blurb says they expect him to be moved out of the third spot in the order. Any credence in that? How does this slump affect your view of him ROS? Is this hot and cold just what we should expect out of him?

Just now, '71 Bucks said:

Another donut last night. Rotoworld blurb says they expect him to be moved out of the third spot in the order. Any credence in that? How does this slump affect your view of him ROS? Is this hot and cold just what we should expect out of him?

I owned him in a league last season.  Traded him in May when he was still somewhat hot, but I did keep track of him during the season and he did seem to be the type of guy that'd have a week+ of 0-fers followed by a week+ of multi-hit games.  I'm hoping it's something he moves past as he develops, because that'd dampen his value in H2H, but right now that's who he is.

3 minutes ago, '71 Bucks said:

And who would they slot in there? It's not like the rest of the TX lineup is smoking. I'm showing lots of patience, with him and Odor, b/c I feel confident that come May and beyond they'll be hitting.

21 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

Dropped, 0-4 now and don't have time to be patient when I'm losing every week by 1-10 points in a points league.  See ya!

Made the drop as well, so fear not owners... he's about to go off again.

Funny story- Was ?? close to dropping him for DeShields before the season started, and was ecstatic I held off. Guess who I dropped him for? 

it's me again.

it seems weird. it's like when I'm arguing about how Mazara isn't special and isn't as good as some people think, then Mazara is on fire. but then when I'm not saying much he's cold, like he has been for almost 2 weeks now.

if I remember right I argued about Mazara more early to mid season last year, when he was hot. then when I basically stopped he cooled off as the season went on.