NBC Sports Edge Forums

Anthony Rizzo 2017 Outlook

He's just one appearance at second away from being 2b eligible on yahoo. When I first heard this was going on, I'll admit I was jealous and felt like complaining.  Then I realized it's a MLB ruling so case closed.  I paid up a pretty penny to trade for Rizzo a couple weeks ago. (E.E +). Point is, you are wasting your time trying to change a MLB rule.  Spend those efforts on the horn looking to aquire the next power hitting second baseman instead, it would be more fruitful.  One more fellas!!

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, durs836 said:

Weird in Yahoo it shows 9 appearances at OF, not 2B.  Does yahoo get to override official MLB scoring? I suppose they can do whatever they want but it's curious that other platforms seem to be counting those appearances at 2b towards his 2b not OF eligibility.

They would be wrong and must be stopped! All that we know and love is in jeopardy!

7 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Would he carry the 2B tag over into next year for yahoo? I'd think he would..

I'm pretty sure any eligibility you gather throughout the season carries over to the next season in Yahoo. Then, we just watch Maddon do it all again next year and clean up the tears of a poster or two here on this board again. Rinse and Repeat!

37 minutes ago, Highlander72 said:

I love the guys pouting, pounding their hands and feet into the ground crying it's not fair.

Just out of curiosity, I got several questions.

That is the picture that appears in your head?

You convinced yourself that it is fair, because you are the one who benefits?

And you need this because you can't beat the other managers otherwise?

1 minute ago, JCD said:

It is fair because its official MLB scoring whether you have him or not, like it or not.

No one needs it, but it's not a bad thing to have. 

And for what its worth, I have him in 1 of 3 leagues and I don't have any other 1B on that roster so it changes nothing for me. 

Is it really an MLB issue or just lax rules by the sites we play on? Raise appearances up to 20 and even starts 10 for one site. 

I don't have him but he will be a game changer this year depending on team build but next year if things stand definitely will be. But it still will be something to adapt to and plan your build around it.

22 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Is it really an MLB issue or just lax rules by the sites we play on? Raise appearances up to 20 and even starts 10 for one site. 

I don't have him but he will be a game changer this year depending on team build but next year if things stand definitely will be. But it still will be something to adapt to and plan your build around it.

10 starts or 20 appearances would probably take care of it.  I dont think you can change the settings league by league in ESPN.  They would have to take it upon themselves to remedy this. 

This is one of the stranger things I've seen and as a commissioner I'm torn. Anthony Rizzo is not a second baseman - full stop.

But, due to a goofy loophole, he will gain 2B eligibility based upon league settings that were in place at the beginning of the season. My opinion is that league settings/rules are locked once the season starts and cannot be changed until the next season. This will give one team a benefit for 2017 and in 2018 for keeper/dynasty leagues if the settings remain unchanged.

The strange thing is that he could easily end up hitting 20 appearances in 2017 which means that even a switch to 20 appearances wouldn't help other than it would defer the eligibility until later in 2017. In a keeper league you still get the 2018 eligibility.

For keeper leagues, each league may need to think of some sort of "Rizzo Rule" or just let it go. In redraft I'd be fine with stripping his 2B eligibility once the season is over.

1 hour ago, JCD said:

I don't need it as i have two league titles in a very competitive 12 team keeper league over the past 5 years.  I do welcome it as I drafted Roughned Odor high and while he is coming around, sliding Rizzo to 2B PER MLB SCORE SHEETS is exciting. :) 

39 minutes ago, TedStriker said:

For keeper leagues, each league may need to think of some sort of "Rizzo Rule" or just let it go. In redraft I'd be fine with stripping his 2B eligibility once the season is over.

There are solutions that do more harm than the problem they intend to solve for.  Managing leagues is hard enough without introducing a process of manual eligibility validation. 

7 hours ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

Would he carry the 2B tag over into next year for yahoo? I'd think he would..

He needs to have a scarlet "2B" carved into his forehead with one of TY Cobb's rusty spikes for this atrocity!All must see what he's done! He must not be allowed sanctuary or respite.Those who speak of him from this time forth will be shunned.Those who aid him will be burned alive and all their belongings forfeit,their offspring put to death and their ancestors graves despoiled.All historical references to the name "Anthony" will be erased from all literature,everywhere,immediately and for all time.

For all early season struggles dude is still on pace for 37Hrs and nearly 105 Rbis. Not sure he'll hit 100 Rbis if he stays in the lead-off position, but i'm nitpicking.  Assuming that batting average stabilizes around .270-.280 there wont be any complains that a reasonable GM can offer about the season long production. Most owners are looking at a good chance of 1B/2B eligibility for half of the season. Almost irreplaceable 

I'm surprised with all the base stealing going on last night Maddon didn't do the deed.I wouldn't be shocked if Maddon stopped doing it and just left it hanging there as an inside clubhouse joke for morale.

"hey look at those idiots worrying about this-let's f*** with their heads like we did to Bryce"

Edited by the real donny baseball
39 minutes ago, radioflyer9 said:

Just shifted to 2nd base on that shift they do when the pitcher bunts. Why didn't he get credited for playing 2nd this time!? We only need 1 more game 

I've found that they often don't update it until the end of the game. Was very happy looking at the game log and it showed Archer trying to bunt. Hopefully this is the day of appearance #10. 

2 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I've found that they often don't update it until the end of the game. Was very happy looking at the game log and it showed Archer trying to bunt. Hopefully this is the day of appearance #10. 

Great News!!! I definitely need this to be the game he gets #10

3 hours ago, radioflyer9 said:

Great News!!! I definitely need this to be the game he gets #10

So far, no update. Not entirely sure why. Did the ball not get put in play? I see Archer got two strikes, and then stopped bunting. Not sure if that matters at all...