NBC Sports Edge Forums

Sonny Gray 2017 outlook

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, benturn22 said:

well at least he battled...i'll take the 5 k's.

Turned a full-on disaster start into a just bad start. Makes the decision to drop him a bit more difficult now.

4 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Turned a full-on disaster start into a just bad start. Makes the decision to drop him a bit more difficult now.

He's fully droppable. How many starts has he already had this year where you look at the stat line, well....not sooo bad.... He's bad. Every outing he is destroying your ratios and only offering k's.

22 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

He's fully droppable. How many starts has he already had this year where you look at the stat line, well....not sooo bad.... He's bad. Every outing he is destroying your ratios and only offering k's.

I agree. But I'm in a deep 15-teamer so it's still difficult. He's probably 2nd in my queue to be dropped right now. If something intriguing pops up on the WW I definitely won't hesitate. I've watched every one of his starts and he hasn't looked any better in each successive one. Still has no idea where the ball is going half the time... even with his fastball. 

5 hours ago, Picard56 said:

He simply cant be trusted.  There are people on this thread who probably trust sonny Gray more than Jeff Hoffman and Sonny has done zero to ever give you confidence in his starts.

I lost a half point on WHIP thanks to him and dropped a full place in my roto league because of his performance.  He's gone.

4 hours ago, absknicks said:

I agree. But I'm in a deep 15-teamer so it's still difficult. He's probably 2nd in my queue to be dropped right now. If something intriguing pops up on the WW I definitely won't hesitate. I've watched every one of his starts and he hasn't looked any better in each successive one. Still has no idea where the ball is going half the time... even with his fastball. 

No Mike Montgomery, Mike Fiers or Jeff Hoffmans available?  All better than him

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, benturn22 said:

doesn't have it today..wouldn't be surprised to see him get lit very soon lol can't find strike zone and is refusing to throw his curveball apparently.

Welp, I wouldn't mind this as his off day.

Jon Morosi of MLB Networks reports that talks are "heating up" between the Astros and Athletics on a Sonny Gray trade.

Morosi notes, however, that the Astros are also talking to the Tigers about a possible package for both Justin Verlander and Justin Wilson. Gray, 27, has rebounded this season with a strong 3.66 ERA, 1.176 WHIP, and 85/28 K/BB ratio in 91 innings, after finishing with a 5.69 ERA in 2016. He is under control through 2019.
Related: Astros

Jul 20 - 11:28 AM
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, mtblock said:

Not sure what to think. Obviously a better team, but a much worse ballpark (and maybe worse defense?).

Don't the A's have a terrible defense?   Worst in baseball

Edited by rich22
1 minute ago, rich22 said:

Don't the A's have a terrible defense?

Yes. And Sonny is a ground ball pitcher who doesn't allow hardly any homers. It's not going to hurt him very much if at all. If anything maybe he can relax with some run support.

Going from an average offense to a top-5 offense (by wRC+) and from the league-worst defense to an average defense (by UZR). Park effects will be somewhat neutralized by his groundball tendencies as others have mentioned (also worth mentioning that, in 2017, Oakland Coliseum is #6 in Park Factor to Yankee Stadium's #4 per ESPN).

All in all it's a clear upgrade for fantasy purposes.