NBC Sports Edge Forums

***2016-2017 NBA Trade Deadline Discussion Thread***

VelvetMerkin

4 minutes ago, colepenhagen said:

ibaka has to be traded as he is going to walk and they get nothing

nice one orlando dipo and sabonis for 1 year of ibaka yikes

damn...that trade should've been vetoed by commissioner.. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, chopper said:

damn...that trade should've been vetoed by commissioner.. 

no chance and heres a great example

cp3 to lakers trade that was vetoed

"The proposed trade would have sent Paul to the Lakers, Pau Gasol to the Rockets and furnished New Orleans with three top-flight NBA players in Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and Lamar Odom as well as playoff-tested guard Goran Dragic and a 2012 first-round pick that Houston had acquired from the Knicks. The general reaction among rival executives was that Hornets general manager Dell Demps did as well as he could under the circumstances after Paul told the Hornets on Monday he would not sign a contract extension this season and instead planned to become a free agent July 1, 2012. "

and what did cp3 get traded for.... eric gordon, rivers, and aminu

hindsight is 20/20 as this trade did allow NO to get AD in 2012

4 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

no chance and heres a great example

cp3 to lakers trade that was vetoed

"The proposed trade would have sent Paul to the Lakers, Pau Gasol to the Rockets and furnished New Orleans with three top-flight NBA players in Kevin Martin, Luis Scola and Lamar Odom as well as playoff-tested guard Goran Dragic and a 2012 first-round pick that Houston had acquired from the Knicks. The general reaction among rival executives was that Hornets general manager Dell Demps did as well as he could under the circumstances after Paul told the Hornets on Monday he would not sign a contract extension this season and instead planned to become a free agent July 1, 2012. "

and what did cp3 get traded for.... eric gordon, rivers, and aminu

hindsight is 20/20 as this trade did allow NO to get AD in 2012

Yeah this was the worst sequence of events as a result of veto. I don't think they will do another one soon because of it.

The Magic are complete idiots these two years. Sending Tobias Harris for nothing, then Dipo for basically nothing, wasting away Hezonja (seriously do they want this kid or drafted him cause euro players were cool?), delaying Aaron Gordon. They signed Biyombo which was good for their soft D but obviously that was only a small positive.

Which team seriously needs Ibaka this year? OKC? Lol

42 minutes ago, rob0403 said:

Yeah this was the worst sequence of events as a result of veto. I don't think they will do another one soon because of it.

That trade got vetoed because the New Orleans Hornets were owned by the NBA (the 29 other Teams) at that point.

There is no vetoing because of lopsided trades or anything like that in the NBA.

I think there are some near perfect fits for some of the players rumored to be on the block:

Serge Ibaka to the Raptors

Ricky Rubio to the Spurs

Nerlens Noel or Tyson Chandler to the Celtics or Blazers

Jameer Nelson to the Cavs

PJ Tucker to the Jazz

I know there are cap ramifications and some of these deals would be tough to work out, but I am going off of fit and need.

8 hours ago, Zippi said:

That trade got vetoed because the New Orleans Hornets were owned by the NBA (the 29 other Teams) at that point.

There is no vetoing because of lopsided trades or anything like that in the NBA.

That's true, Stern was only in a position to veto because of that fact. But I do think he vetoed because he felt it was lopsided in favor of the Lakers and to the detriment of New Orleans. But that doesn't really matter since that couldn't happen again, I don't think that special set of circumstances will come around again any time soon

• 2 weeks later...

Trade deadline is near! Now is the time to conserve your player adds. I just hope that this year's deadline will have more action. Last year was a snoozefest, I think Markieff was the most significant name involved. I remember the trade deadline thread going crazy right before the tipping point. I live in Manila and it was around 3 or 4am and was refreshing the thread for updates (the deadline thread here is the fastest one for updates, trust me) and didn't get any sleep at all haha and all I got was Norris Cole!

For deep leaguers, who are the must stashes at this point or those who deserves a careful eye on?

Here are my personal picks:

Justin Hamilton, BKN - I have a feeling that there is a chance that the Nets will deal Brook in exchange for picks, which they sorely need. When that happens, Hamilton is a must-add, and BKN has a great PO sched as well. 

Richaun Holmes, PHI - with all the Okafor to NO rumors and with Embiid who can't seem to get over his injuries, I believe Richaun should get a shout out here. Underrated player who delivers the goodies when given the minutes. 

Justin Holiday, NYK - if Carmelo leaves NYK, he is a guy you should run to get. Of course it would depend on which players NYK gets back from the possible Melo trade. 

Mario Hezonja, ORL - he is more swag than substance but if Ibaka gets traded, then Aaron gets shifted to the 4 which is his natural position, then Mario should be a more than serviceable fantasy asset down the stretch. 

There should be more out there. Anyone else worth adding, let's exclude the obvious breakout candidates (Zubac, Willy, etc) here because those guys are owned already most probably. 

Nerlens! Obviously if he gets traded I think that would be the best situation for him cause I'd imagine he would be going to a team who will unleash him and he will return early round value. If Okafor gets dealt and Nerlens stays he will still get a nice bump in production Im sure he would be starting half the games cause embiid would be out and should get mins in the 20s off the bench as well. Hoping for a trade though

Let's keep in mind that 90% of the rumors we hear are not going to happen because they are just that, rumors.

There has been 3 trades so far this year and I didn't hear a peep about any one of them. Yeah, we all wanted Nurkic to get traded, but we all thought Nerlens Noel would end up with the Blazers. No one knew about the Korver trade. And none of us heard about the trade between the Bucks and the Hornets. 

I'm not saying that there will not be any trades, but it won't be the ones we hear in rumors.

7 minutes ago, mcflywalker said:

Damn it do I love trade time. I've done my best to trade up and make room for the possibility of wire gold. My main competitor has exhausted his free spots on Jahlil and Nurk. Hopefully bigger pieces drop in the coming days.

I can't see those two being great producers. We know what Okafor can do but Nurk's horrible FG% for a C... they either not let him shoot and not post him up.

1 minute ago, rob0403 said:

I can't see those two being great producers. We know what Okafor can do but Nurk's horrible FG% for a C... they either not let him shoot and not post him up.

I got Nurk in a pair of leagues but don't have the biggest expectations. He gave me some gems in the first weeks of fantasy but he's a mixed basket, and now playing alongside lillard and McCollum, both of whom will take the bulk of shots.

I'm excited for more movement on the trading front. I want Nerlens to move, but with Embiid "hurt" and okafor likely being dealt in the next day or so, Nerlens will probably stay out or be moved right at the deadline.

Has everyone pretty much given up hope that Monroe will move? They've pulled in hibs and hawes, and Thon is getting the spotlight now. It just makes sense to move Monroe for a piece that'll hopefully thrust them into that 8th spot. But the Bucks are a wildcard with their decision making.

40 minutes ago, ellejamil said:

Remember last season? Yeah that was very anti-climactic. Biggest name to move was Tobias.

I have a feeling this season will be much different. The warriors are nearly unbeatable, so teams are going to try and plug up their gaps for that fighting chance. With the margins some of these teams are getting decimated by, I don't suspect they'd put their fans through another couple months of the same embarrassment.

31 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Looking like Ibaka is definitely gonna be on the move.  The question is will Orlando come down at their price and swallow the brutal trade they made over the summer or risk Ibaka walking for nothing.

http://www.espn.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/4961/magics-serge-ibaka-appears-in-play-as-trade-deadline-approaches

Hypothetical...if Ibaka goes to Toronto and Ross comes back to Orlando in the deal, do we see Gordon to the 4, Fournier to the 3, and Ross to the 2 or does Fournier stay at the 2, Ross comes off the bench, and someone else slides into the 3?

Archived