NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Billy Hamilton 2017 Outlook

tywalson

1 hour ago, David Aames said:

so he is out for sure until the last week of the season?  wouldnt be back for the second to last week of the season?

He has to wear a cast for at least 10 days before even doing anything baseball related. So it's highly unlikely he is back especially since the Reds have nothing to play for. 

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Reds activated OF Billy Hamilton from the 10-day disabled list.

Hamilton expressed frustration Tuesday over the Reds' medical staff slowing his rehab plan and now management has given heed to his desire to get back on the field for the final stretch of the regular season. The speedy center fielder suffered a fractured left thumb while trying to lay down a bunt back on September 6 and he might be limited to pinch-running duties out of the gate. Hamilton needs just one more stolen base to set a new career high.

So, does anyone think he will actually start some games down the stretch, or will he just be a pinch hitter/runner the rest of the way?  He could get 5+ SB ROS if he's going to play full games, not just an inning here or there.

Was he doing any hitting prior to being activated?  I mean that's great and all but it's hard to burn a roster move and spot during playoffs on a guy who may be a pure pinch runner. Outside of a desperate "I need 3 SBs this Sunday to win the category" type of situation. 

I mean it's an exaggeration to say he's more valuable as a pinch runner buuuuttt, he probably loses less value than your average player. No chance to hurt your average. Automatic one on base, no chance to hurt your avg. You miss out on like 1 RBI a week. 

Still not grabbing him but still interesting to think about. He clearly wants the numbers. 

3 hours ago, Baur10 said:

I mean it's an exaggeration to say he's more valuable as a pinch runner buuuuttt, he probably loses less value than your average player. No chance to hurt your average. Automatic one on base, no chance to hurt your avg. You miss out on like 1 RBI a week. 

Still not grabbing him but still interesting to think about. He clearly wants the numbers. 

Yeah I have him in roto and am way behind in games so Im just plugging him in for hopefully a handful of steals. He literally said he only came back to win the steals title and set a career high for the season. 

Billy Hamilton (thumb) is in the Reds' lineup Friday.

Hamilton surprisingly returned from the disabled list Wednesday, but this will be his first game since being activated after missing a couple weeks with a fractured left thumb. He's almost surely not going to be 100 percent at the plate, but you know he's going to run if he gets on base. Hamilton is trying to hang on to his major league-leading stolen base total. He is currently three pilfers ahead of Dee Gordon (58 to 55).

Well, looks like he's going to give it a go...safe to plug into your lineups for at least today.  We'll see what happens ROS...