NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Billy Hamilton 2017 Outlook

tywalson

2 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

OPS at Coors in career is over 900

I tell ya a guy like Billy, he's a little guy- superrr small.  Fast feet- but really tiny hands. To be honest he's pathetic up there at the dish and he shouldn't be allowed to put these kind of numbers up anywhere.  It should be illegal, I don't care if he's playing on the moon. He basically cheats.  He's cheating, look at him running at a completely different speed than everyone else- how are the other guys supposed to throw him out with those quick strides? Really not a great guy if you ask me, steals all the time, you definitely can't trust him. It's pathetic, he's weak, and we're making him look better than he should be because of the higher attitude.  And by the way why is there any attitude in Colorado anymore anyway shouldn't they be relaxed there now?!? (must be the reefer madness)

They really oughta make that wall out in Colorado a whole lot bigger.  Bigger wall would definitely solve the Billy problem.  It's definitely a problem too, you can pretend it's not but trust me- it's real.  I'll tell you what the answer is ladies and gentlemen.  The wall needs to be taller and if you hit the foul pole it should be foul.  I know everyone feels the same way so we're gonna get it done. We're gonna build a big wall, we'll make the bases 100 feet because 90 is just plain stupid.  Who thought of that anyway- Albus Dumbleday? It makes no sense but I'll tell you what does. Baseball being America's "past" time.

Wrestling is Americas present time and it's gonna stay that way- I'm going to make sure it does for the futuretime so our children's children and their great-great-grandchildren will witness a real sport that is fair in everything that it does.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, DoTheRoar said:

Popless wonder finally steals a base

Has 34 on the season and could very realistically reach 70. Don't know what you were expecting when you took him. Then again, you're also the one who was bashing Votto at the beginning of the season so it's pretty clear you have no clue how this game works. 

8 hours ago, Rammer28 said:

Has 34 on the season and could very realistically reach 70. Don't know what you were expecting when you took him. Then again, you're also the one who was bashing Votto at the beginning of the season so it's pretty clear you have no clue how this game works. 

Obviously his steals totals are not the problem when speaking of Billy Hamilton... 

3 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Obviously his steals totals are not the problem when speaking of Billy Hamilton... 

Billy skillset is really only necessary on teams with no 5 cat players.

If you have guys like Andrus, Betts, Trea before injury, Merrifield, Reddick, Chris Taylor, Owings, etc. , you don't need a Billy Hamilton type.  In recent weeks all of those guys have stolen as many bases as Billy, more or close to it.  Billy SB were heavily front loaded.  There was a 2-3 week period where he barely ran.

1 hour ago, knuckleheads said:

Ok then why are you bitching about the lack of power when it was universally known that he didn't have any before the season started? Everyone with a clue knows Hamilton doesn't have pop and doesn't hit for a good average, you draft him for speed and speed alone. If you were expecting more then that's your problem and lack of knowledge. 

Edited by Rammer28

1 hour ago, JetsAwesome said:

Billy skillset is really only necessary on teams with no 5 cat players.

If you have guys like Andrus, Betts, Trea before injury, Merrifield, Reddick, Chris Taylor, Owings, etc. , you don't need a Billy Hamilton type.  In recent weeks all of those guys have stolen as many bases as Billy, more or close to it.  Billy SB were heavily front loaded.  There was a 2-3 week period where he barely ran.

It's about team construction and isolating a 2-3 week period in a 26 week long season is a recipe for disaster. Betts and Trea were known to be base stealers before the season, that was known, both also went in the top 2 rounds (for their 5 cat value). The others you list are Captain Hindsight statements, I can point to someone who's hit as many homeruns ad Bryce Harper over the past three weeks, should we say that Harper isn't deserving of a first round pick? No, of course not. You can cherry pick stats all day long to make yourself appear correct. 

Billy leads the league in steals. He was drafted by the majority (who know what they're doing) for his steals. So, we're pretty fine with what he's doing, since we constructed our team with his inefficiencies in mind. The people who are upset are those who don't know how to construct a team, which is fine, but don't get all pissed at everyone else for it. It's your own fault. Billy is a top 10 OF on ESPNs player rater, btw, can't remember the last time people bitched so much about a top 10 player at his position who was taken outside the first 6 rounds. 

Edited by Rammer28

32 minutes ago, Rammer28 said:

Ok then why are you bitching about the lack of power when it was universally known that he didn't have any before the season started? Everyone with a clue knows Hamilton doesn't have pop and doesn't hit for a good average, you draft him for speed and speed alone. If you were expecting more then that's your problem and lack of knowledge. 

I am "bitching" about his lack of power, weak batting average and terrible on base skills and stating he's overrated and not near worth the draft spot he was taken out of.  You obviously think he was just for his one category contribution (two this year with runs).  

Actually, you sound salty enough that I am pretty sure it's been as unpleasant ride for you as it has been for all those other guys you berate for expected more out of Hamilton.  Come on bro admit it, you expected Vince Coleman too this year... 

45 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

I am "bitching" about his lack of power, weak batting average and terrible on base skills and stating he's overrated and not near worth the draft spot he was taken out of.  You obviously think he was just for his one category contribution (two this year with runs).  

Actually, you sound salty enough that I am pretty sure it's been as unpleasant ride for you as it has been for all those other guys you berate for expected more out of Hamilton.  Come on bro admit it, you expected Vince Coleman too this year... 

Lost here. When you drafted Hamilton did you expect him to hit for power, have a high BA, or his on base skills to magically improve from what his career norm was.

44 minutes ago, PremiumPlus said:

I just don't understand what the huge issue with Hamilton is. If you're worth your fantasy salt, you knew exactly what you'd get with Billy when you drafted him and contoured your team around that.

How do you contour your team around Hamilton when the league has gone power crazy? Everyone in my lineup is on pace for 25 to almost 60 homers?   The other active teams are also stacked.  I've said it before if you cannot stay up in the power ranks he shouldn't be owned.  Your comment here suggests that you agree with that.  However, I am suggesting in active leagues in today's game it's not worth it. 

In our league it's been pretty straight forward.  Everyone who has owned Hamilton for any length of time has not done very well.  This year the guy that picked Hamilton off the waiver wire went from 7-0 to 8-4.  He's an excellent manager but seems to be sticking with the Hamilton strategy.  And even when he struggled badly a few weeks ago he kept him.  Instead he added Mallex Smith, inserted him in the lineup and benched Hamilton.  And he lost both weeks he owned Smith, dropped him and inserted Hamilton back in.  He's losing this week as well.  He just can't afford the power loss imo.  

So when I researched further back in our league history (for this conversation) I noted that Hamilton owners have never finished in the top 5 in our league.  Once they made the playoffs (6th place).  Share your story...    

Edited by knuckleheads

3 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

No I didn't expect Vince Coleman because I live in reality and am not delusional. My issue with you is your attack on others on the previous pages when your premise is flawed. If you're upset at the lack of power and batting average that's on you because this was known before the season began. And yeah, I'm terribly upset about one of my guys currently ranking in the top 10 at his position...

1 hour ago, knuckleheads said:

How do you contour your team around Hamilton when the league has gone power crazy? Everyone in my lineup is on pace for 25 to almost 60 homers?   The other active teams are also stacked.  I've said it before if you cannot stay up in the power ranks he shouldn't be owned.  Your comment here suggests that you agree with that.  However, I am suggesting in active leagues in today's game it's not worth it. 

In our league it's been pretty straight forward.  Everyone who has owned Hamilton for any length of time has not done very well.  This year the guy that picked Hamilton off the waiver wire went from 7-0 to 8-4.  He's an excellent manager but seems to be sticking with the Hamilton strategy.  And even when he struggled badly a few weeks ago he kept him.  Instead he added Mallex Smith, inserted him in the lineup and benched Hamilton.  And he lost both weeks he owned Smith, dropped him and inserted Hamilton back in.  He's losing this week as well.  He just can't afford the power loss imo.  

So when I researched further back in our league history (for this conversation) I noted that Hamilton owners have never finished in the top 5 in our league.  Once they made the playoffs (6th place).  Share your story...    

This is my first year owning him and it's been great. Still winning R/HR/RBI pretty much every week because one starter of 10 isn't killing my numbers. SB is free most weeks and if he steals 2-3 at the start of the week you can bench him for the remainder of the matchup. I think we're honestly agreeing here, if your power numbers are high enough then you can easily add on Hamilton for the extra guaranteed category.

Looked at last season just for comparison, Hamilton owner finished 2nd seasons end but his was pretty much foregoing R/HR/RBI and taking SB/AVG (stacked the guys like Pedey) + Pitching most weeks.

Can't speak for the remainder of my season but it's going exceeding well (but we're getting into cool story bro thread territory here).

Edited by PremiumPlus

4 hours ago, Travis Burten said:

I started him thankfully

So are you gonna start him from now on because of this or were you already?

I also noticed - it looks like he's hit safely in 9 of his last 10 or something.  Not hitting for average but he is getting on base at least once or twice a game now.  

For him that's enough.  Let's get it Sunday Billy!!  Last day of season go for 4 steals.

Edited by JetsAwesome

4 hours ago, JetsAwesome said:

So are you gonna start him from now on because of this or were you already?

I also noticed - it looks like he's hit safely in 9 of his last 10 or something.  Not hitting for average but he is getting on base at least once or twice a game now.  

For him that's enough.  Let's get it Sunday Billy!!  Last day of season go for 4 steals.

With Conforto hitting the shelf, Ive been starting him ever since. He won me steals for the week yday, and now to the bench he goes. 

1 hour ago, Travis Burten said:

With Conforto hitting the shelf, Ive been starting him ever since. He won me steals for the week yday, and now to the bench he goes. 

Oh you have him to head to head  - he's a tougher start in feel in ROTO when you have to endure his slumps or long periods of non stealing.  He basically takes an OF spot from a power hitter usually. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, DoTheRoar said:

Watching this joke (finally) get on base and not even try to steal infuriates me to no end.

You have one skill in this game, utilize it.

Fail - again.

33 minutes ago, DoTheRoar said:

Watching this joke (finally) get on base and not even try to steal infuriates me to no end.

You have one skill in this game, utilize it.

I really like the 5th grade name calling of MLB baseball player.  Really insightful!

And I don't know what your hate is about, he has been great at all providing SBs.  Really helps in roto and has single handily won me SB categories in my h2h league.

Watching the Billy Hamilton hate over the years has been comical.