NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mitch Haniger 2017 Outlook

Am I the only one hoping that blurb writer indulges us by coming on this thread and taking his well-deserved lumps?

Edited by BMcP
  • Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, War10667 said:

If you guys are looking for a little AL-only bench heat, take a chance. Otherwise, you can look elsewhere. 

i'm so glad that the bench heat joke survived the DL stint. i would have been so mad if we'd lost it

Sorry if I'm unaware, I haven't followed this guy much this year. 

What has you all sold on him ?

I know he had a great first month before getting hurt, and seems to be in a good lineup spot for Sea, but still a small sample. His minors numbers looked decent, not mind blowing though. Not sure what y'all expect ROS.

Edited by phatrat
CSB removed

1)  Talent level - he was the key piece in the Seattle/AZ deal this offseason

2)  Opportunity

3)  Opportunity in a prime spot, in a pretty good lineup

4)  Positional flexibility - it appears - in the league you play in

5)  Youth & potential

Just now, indycolts88 said:

Seguara was the key piece in that trade for Seattle, but I agree with what the rest of you said.

There were plenty of articles written where Seattle wouldn't have done the deal w/o Haniger included.  Perhaps not THE key piece, but a piece of that deal that Seattle wouldn't have completed without.  Regardless, a very talented player, in a good lineup, in a great spot in that lineup.

21 minutes ago, indycolts88 said:

Seguara was the key piece in that trade for Seattle, but I agree with what the rest of you said.

Bigger name piece would maybe be more accurate. I think Mitch will end up being the key piece, intentional or not. Time tells and all that

14 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Bigger name piece would maybe be more accurate. I think Mitch will end up being the key piece, intentional or not. Time tells and all that

Agreed.  Regardless, that trade looks like a massive win for the mariners.  I'm only used to seeing the Braves fleece the dbacks in trades like that.

To add on to what others have said, Haniger was also a guy that started trying to lift the ball more about two years ago. Last year, he then went on to post the second-best OPS in the PCL. You then add on the trade and the Mariners seemingly being fairly high on him (saying they viewed him as a key component to the trade and then starting him and batting him 2nd to start the year), he was a nice flyer player that seemed to be paying off. Of course, the fact that he started the year so under the radar was part of his appeal, too.

1 hour ago, IlliniGuy76 said:

1)  Talent level - he was the key piece in the Seattle/AZ deal this offseason

2)  Opportunity

3)  Opportunity in a prime spot, in a pretty good lineup

4)  Positional flexibility - it appears - in the league you play in

5)  Youth & potential

Great list... But wait there's more

6) Pedigree - Former first round pick

7) Minor League Dominance - OPSed over 1100 in 74 AAA games last year.  

8) Killed it in spring and to start the season

9) Despite the injury and missing out on over half the season he doesn't look to be set back at all. 

yeah. the bulk of his minor league performance was just ok, but he started rebuilding his swing during 2015, and it really kicked in during 2016, especially once he was promoted to AAA. his numbers there weren't just better than anybody else's, they were a lot better

.341 / .428 / .670 with 20 HR in 312 PA, 20% K rate w/ 12.5% walks

that line has everything - average, walks, ludicrous power... i mean, that's basically everything, right

a lot of analysts discounted it because he was pretty old and it happened in the PCL / reno, but if you read up on him, it was clear that he'd changed things, and even after you adjusted for the parks his numbers were still crazy

then, if you really look, it started even the year before that. he was losing playing time in AA in 2015, so he asked the diamondbacks for a demotion to high-A so he could get everyday ABs and keep working on the swing changes he was trying to do. and once he was demoted, he hit .332 / .381 / .619 down there. of course he was really old for high-A by that point, so nobody really paid much attention to that at the time. (i hadn't even really paid attention to it myself until right now.) but that was a lot more power than he'd ever showed - every other SLG on his track record at that point started with a 4, not a 6 - and if you look at it know, knowing everything that's happened since, it's at least a little bit more evidence that his new approach works pretty well

so take all of that, and his april doesn't look like a small sample hot month, it looks like haniger just doing what he does nowadays

Interesting that everyone is so high on him.  He's still on the wire in my 10 teamer.  Had him at the beginning of the season, but had to cut bait due to number of injuries.  Do we think he's a top 100 overall player moving forward?  Might have to scoop him back up, but would be making a tough cut 

Edited by phatrat
bench coach content removed
Rotoworld
Mitch Haniger finished 2-for-5 with a strikeout in Saturday's loss at Texas.
Haniger is 9-for-30 (.300) with two doubles, a home run and four RBI in seven games since coming off the 10-day disabled list June 10. That production is slightly below his pre-injury level, but he is rounding back into form. He has been very steady at the plate and in 28 games played he hasn't had back-to-back hitless outings all season.

Man, there's no pleasing these jokers!  They have to be trolling us now after we formed the Bench Heat cult haha