NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mitch Haniger 2017 Outlook

2 hours ago, swfcdan said:

I bought high and I don't care. He hits screaming liners/flyers all over the place, totally passing the eye test. I really want to be in on him in a keeper, just a tremendous start and is the story of the season along with Thames.

Black Hammer and White Lightning?

Edited by Gryfter
  • Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, GrapeJuice said:

After my draft I was worried about my outfield. So much for that. Thanks, Bench Heat!

Same here! But then you realize you drafted Haniger and Thames and all is good in the world 

31 minutes ago, tscherrer2 said:

Per CBS baseball podcast,

Avg MLB exit velo is 87.57 mph

hanniger's exit velo is 85.33

Gotta up your game man

funny looking at the guys in the 85 range, they mostly blow. Bench Heat to good for that.

1 hour ago, CFN said:

Wrong. Haniger's avg exit velocity this year is 93.1

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/statcast_leaderboard

Search his name with cmd+F. 

You linked to 2016 numbers. He's right about the 2017 numbers so far (see below), not that it dampens my enthusiasm much for him. It's far too early for me to think that average exit velocity has stabilized.

http://m.mlb.com/player/571745/mitch-haniger

43 minutes ago, tscherrer2 said:

Yeah I wasn't posting this to say drop or trade him. just adding information, see what we all think, if it's worrisome or not.

On the positive side, I like the average distance and launch angle. Also, Fangraphs has him a full 10% lower in o-swing% than league average and making contact 5% more than league average while generally hitting the ball hard. That's extremely encouraging.

1 hour ago, Hanghow said:

You linked to 2016 numbers. He's right about the 2017 numbers so far (see below), not that it dampens my enthusiasm much for him. It's far too early for me to think that average exit velocity has stabilized.

http://m.mlb.com/player/571745/mitch-haniger

Welp. My bad.

Seems impossible that his exit velo would be lower this year than last year, as he's crushing the ball.

Interesting...do we know when exit velo stabilizes yet? I'm wondering if a few dribblers are really pulling down the avg or something like that

Edited by WahooManiac

haha. they've edited the infamous Bench Heat status update. this is the whole thing now

Mitch Haniger went 1-for-4 with a three-run home run and four total RBI in Sunday's win over the Rangers.

Haniger connected for a three-run home run off Cole Hamels in the third inning. The tater was his fourth through the first two weeks of play. The 26-year-old outfielder hit all of five during the 2016 season.

either the daytime editors showed up with some common sense or they lurk on the forums and saw all of our chortling. possibly both

too late! we have a copy!

they didn't even manage to delete everything dumb here, anyway. "hit all of five during the 2016 season"... making it sound like he played the entire season and hit five home runs so it's some kind of unaccountable power burst for him to hit 4 in two weeks now

uh yo he only played part-time for like a month and a half as a late callup last year. including the minors he hit... you know... 30

seriously i think somebody who literally didn't know who haniger was wrote that update