NBC Sports Edge Forums

Jose Peraza 2017 Outlook

I'm not really sure what to make of this guy in 2017. The Reds' depth chart on their website, as of now, has Peraza backing up at SS and CF with Phillips, Cozart, and Hamilton manning the positions up the middle. Still young at 22, so maybe the Reds are content using him as a utility guy and injury depth. He offers 2/S/O eligibility in Yahoo leagues, so there is some potential value there. 

I remember reading that Cozart was doubtful to return to Cincy this year, but does anyone know what's going on with his contract? That would open up a position for him. So would a Phillips trade, but it's obvious that man wants to stay with the Reds as long as possible. Not sure why he wants to stay so badly with a team that keeps trying to trade him. 

I'd love to see what Peraza could do with 550 AB and a regular spot. 

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I'm not really sure what to make of this guy in 2017. The Reds' depth chart on their website, as of now, has Peraza backing up at SS and CF with Phillips, Cozart, and Hamilton manning the positions up the middle. Still young at 22, so maybe the Reds are content using him as a utility guy and injury depth. He offers 2/S/O eligibility in Yahoo leagues, so there is some potential value there. 

I remember reading that Cozart was doubtful to return to Cincy this year, but does anyone know what's going on with his contract? That would open up a position for him. So would a Phillips trade, but it's obvious that man wants to stay with the Reds as long as possible. Not sure why he wants to stay so badly with a team that keeps trying to trade him. 

I'd love to see what Peraza could do with 550 AB and a regular spot. 

They tried to trade Cozart to the Mariners but Seattle got Segura instead.  So they are stuck with him again one more year most likely since there is no market for him. 

They tried to trade Old Man Phillips away to the Braves but he blocked the trade.  Third time he has blocked a trade in two years and he even lives in the Atlanta area.  Phillips is a wuss afraid to leave his little pond alas.  They did say there is still a possibility the Atlanta deal can get done but it doesn't look good right now.

Like I said in the hot stove league thread, hopefully Phillips gets injured and Peraza gets full time playing time.  And yes I am hoping for an injury though not a career ending one.  I'm not that evil. 

Anyway Cincy wants Peraza over these two so we may have at least a three-share in the middle infield.  And I'm sure Cincy would love to see Phillips out of there in the worse way except injury since they still have to pay the guy this year and they aren't as evil as I am.  But yeah the organization wants Peraza to take over 2B as soon as there is an opening.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

I believe the goal is to get Peraza to take over at SS and Herrera at 2B. If they find a way to trade BP before Cozy than Peraza will get first crack but I would guess Cozart gets dealt before BP since the Reds aren't going to find any teams crazy enough to tack on extra money and extensions for a decent but aging, mediocre hitting 2B. 

From a fantasy perspective it's probably a good thing for his pre season value to be mucked up by the utility usage. He should be great later round stash and for us dynasty owners it will extend that nice 2B/SS/OF eligibility in to 2018.

6 hours ago, wily mo said:

at this point i sort of wonder if it gets awkward in the clubhouse between BP and the young middle infielders he insists on blocking for years on end

This will be the final year he'll be able to do that. He'll either retire or have to sign as a FA elsewhere next year. 

36 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I would love to see Cincy fans in the stands pull out signs when Phillips comes to bat that read "Go Away and Let the Kids Play" or, more directly to the point, "Just Go Away".

When Starlin castro was blowing and Baez was max hype there were Bring up Baez chants.

Why the heck can't the Reds just bench BP?  MAkes no sense to play him...they tried to deal him but he wants more $....just tell him you either take the deal or sit all season...he's a FA and that will kill his value.  Time to play some hard ball - this team is in rebuild and cant waste a year of this guy clogging a spot.  Same with Cozart....bench city and play the kids.  

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2017 at 4:10 PM, Big Tuna said:

Why the heck can't the Reds just bench BP?  MAkes no sense to play him...they tried to deal him but he wants more $....just tell him you either take the deal or sit all season...he's a FA and that will kill his value.  Time to play some hard ball - this team is in rebuild and cant waste a year of this guy clogging a spot.  Same with Cozart....bench city and play the kids.  

Good news if BP actually accepts 

Rosenthal;

Sources: #Braves close to acquiring 2B Brandon Phillips from #Reds.

20 minutes ago, TheWrightStuff said:

Good news if BP actually accepts 

Rosenthal;

Sources: #Braves close to acquiring 2B Brandon Phillips from #Reds.

I LOVE Peraza, but there are some platforms that already have him with an ADP under 150 even with the playing time question marks, which I think is absurd. This will only push that higher, and even as a huge fan of what he brings I will gracefully be bowing out

57 minutes ago, Abomb3394 said:

I LOVE Peraza, but there are some platforms that already have him with an ADP under 150 even with the playing time question marks, which I think is absurd. This will only push that higher, and even as a huge fan of what he brings I will gracefully be bowing out

He profiles as a 300 hitter with 40+ sb ability.  And SS eligibility.  That's really valuable in 5x5.

The fact that Peraza chased as many pitches as he did and only whiffed 6.6% of the time is incredible. Especially as a rookie, where I typically expect your contact%s to be the worst. Jose Iglesias, Ender Inciarte, Daniel Murphy, Melky Cabrera, Albert Pujols, and Jose Altuve are the only players last year to whiff less than 7% of the time and chase at an above league average rate. Peraza's chase rate was also higher (albeit slightly in the case of Iglesias) than all of those players. 

No he won't walk much doing what he's doing, but in terms of 5x5, I see his 12% K% last year as pretty high end for what I expect... his contact tool is just soooo good. 

And here's another interesting fact I just stumbled on: utterly surprising for his high BABIP, but Peraza did not have a good infield hit rate at all... 4.4%... that's roughly tied for 107th in baseball, and I don't really expect Peraza to have the 107th infield hit rate... he got his BABIP up mostly because he hit an insane number of linedrives last year.... even if that 27% is high, if he can even be a 23-24% guy with also a plus GB% and plus Speed... skies the limit in terms of average. I think the Steal Conversion rate could look a bit more like Billy Hamilton's first year (where he was caught 20+ times for his 50+ SBs, whereas the last two years he's had the same number of Steals with under 10 CSs), but other than that with full PT Peraza could easily produce massively in a few categories, even if he's bad on HRs and RBIs. 

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I read on a Reds board that they may move Cozart to 2b and have him split time with Herrera.  Peraza would move to SS

I hope they don't hinder the development of Peraza and Herrera by tooling around with Cozart.  Let the kids play.

Just read this blurb: 

"ESPN's Buster Olney reports that the Braves and Reds "have completed their agreement" in the trade of Brandon Phillips to Atlanta.

Advice: Olney says that only "administrative boxes" need to be checked before the trade is announced. MLB.com's Mark Sheldon hears that the Reds will receive two players from the Braves in the deal and that Cincinnati is eating most of the $14 million Phillips is owed in 2017. Phillips will take over at second base in Atlanta, while Jose Peraza is now in line to play second for Cincinnati."

That's good news. Sounds like Phillips may actually accept being traded this time. 

Reds getting very little in their side of the trade.  Plus the Reds are eating most of the 14 million.  I wonder if they kicked BP in thee butt as they booted him out the door.

Zach Buchanan of the Cincinnati Enquirer reports that the Reds will receive Andrew McKirahan and Carlos Portuondo from the Braves in the Brandon Phillips trade.

As expected, Cincinnati didn't get much in return. McKirahan held a 5.93 ERA over 27 appearances for the Braves in 2015 and missed all of 2016 following Tommy John surgery. Portuondo is a 29-year-old Cuban defector who posted a 3.63 ERA in the minors last season.

Feb 12 - 10:03 AM
16 minutes ago, BxBOMBERs28 said:

How much do we like Peraza in keepers? Potential .300 40-50stl MI guy would hold quite a bit of value 

For me I think Peraza's skill set will supply great fantasy value, my only concern would be that if he continues to walk at the rate he is doing which I kinda think he might, he needs to keep that BA up in the .300-.315 range because if he's even a little worse he could find himself as more of a 7-8 hitter and that would be pretty bad for his value considering HR/RBI are already going to be lacking categories. So long as he's on a team willing to bat him at the top of the order though he's going to be very valuable IMO. 

^ The batting order "dilemma" is what dampers my March madness for Peraza. I looked at Billy Hamilton's 2015 gamelogs and it took 1.5 months for him to lose his leadoff spot. With Hamilton & Cozart entrenched at 1-2, Jose will probably need a slump or injury to get at the top of the order in the first half.