Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Anthony Rendon 2017 Outlook


kwelch
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, mtw02 said:

 I came here just for sympathy to see who else had benched him today.  OMFG.   Unbelievable.   

 

34 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

The funny thing is, Murphy could have easily scored on Rendon's single down the LF line. W/ 19 or 20 runs on the board the 3B coach was in no rush to push the run across... coulda been 11 RBI's today w/ ease. 

 

yeah he probably had a 90+ % chance at scoring, but there wasn't really a purpose for it. Rendon gonna send glitter envelopes to the 3rd base coach. 

 

1 hour ago, Phreedom32 said:

Bellinger on my bench for 2 bombs last night...lead me to swap them in my corner spot for today...Rendon 2 bombs on bench today...FML

 

Yesterday I put Rendon at UTIL and benched Conforto, who was facing Strasburg (Conforto hit two home runs and stole a base)

Today I put Conforto at UTIL and benched Rendon, who was facing Syndergaard (Rendon went 6-6 with 3 homers and 10 RBI)

Unless Mookie/Xander have good nights, it's gonna cost me big time

 

and for anyone who wasn't watching: his bases-loaded double was about one and a half feet from going over the fence in right-center. 

 

what an incredible afternoon. Keep it goin, Uncle Tony. 

 

 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

A sobering reminder: You just gotta "buy the line"

 

When you start benching your hitters on one-off basis, because of the "matchup" or because your guyis in a slump, you're playing roulette.

 

 

 

 

 

 

i disagree, this is was just one extremely unlikely event  Anyone with a decent 3b to replace Rendon would have sat Rendon in a season long slump and facing one of the game's best pitchers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

A sobering reminder: You just gotta "buy the line"

 

When you start benching your hitters on one-off basis, because of the "matchup" or because your guyis in a slump, you're playing roulette.

You have to tho. We have benches for a reason. This is an anomaly. I'd have felt no less disappointed if he had a solid day for once. Just glad to know I have a potential stud with a monkey off his back moving forward.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, KingJoffrey said:

 

i disagree, this is was just one extremely unlikely event  Anyone with a decent 3b to replace Rendon would have sat Rendon in a season long slump and facing one of the game's best pitchers.

or you were an owner trying to get sb off thor and started rendon 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Zig Zag said:

 

Cant wait to quote this again in a couple of weeks after this dude goes on a crazy hot streak.

 

 

Well, I got to copy this quote much much earlier then I expected.  Rendon was just too talented of a player to not eventually heat up.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I drafted Rendon in the 6th round of a 12 teamer. Never once benched him and sure as hell didn't think about dropping him after a month. I'm just glad that he's finally producing. Pretty much made up for his defecation at Coors earlier in the week. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

dropped him last week. it felt/feels so good to not have to worry about him sucking anymore. the "upside" isnt worth the headaches. good luck to those who are still hoping for a turnaround. 

Poor Dirty Birdie.

4 hours ago, Zig Zag said:

 

Cant wait to quote this again in a couple of weeks after this dude goes on a crazy hot streak.

LOL what timing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

 

i disagree, this is was just one extremely unlikely event  Anyone with a decent 3b to replace Rendon would have sat Rendon in a season long slump and facing one of the game's best pitchers.

 

There are a lot of 1-4 and 0-4 days from players. Those performances are a dime a dozen.

 

Missing out on a game like this is exponentially more damaging than absorbing a string of 1-4, 0-4, or an 0-5 games

Edited by My Dinner With Andre
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

There are a lot of 1-4 and 0-4 days from players. Those performances are a dime a dozen.

 

Missing out on a game like this is exponentially more damaging than absorbing a string of 1-4, 0-4, or an 0-5 games

 

1)  how often does a non-elite player (good but not elite) go 6-6 with 3 Hrs and 10 Rbis?  This kind of thing maybe happens once every couple of years and for 1 or 2 lucky owners.  You can't manage your team based on some extremely unlikely event happening.

 

2)  You have a bench for a reason. Let's say you have David Peralta and Jayson Werth.  Peralta bats vs righties and Werth, a notorious lefty killer, bats for you when Peralta faces a lefty.  One day, you start Peralta and Werth goes nuts and hits 3 Hrs and 10 Rbis.  Does that mean that you played it wrong?  Over time, playing matchups will grant you more stats.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

how often does a non-elite player (good but not elite) go 6-6 with 3 Hrs and 10 Rbis?  This kind of thing maybe happens once every couple of years and for 1 or 2 lucky owners.

Actually, this is the first time any player has done it, ever.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

2)  You have a bench for a reason. Let's say you have David Peralta and Jayson Werth.  Peralta bats vs righties and Werth, a notorious lefty killer, bats for you when Peralta faces a lefty.  One day, you start Peralta and Werth goes nuts and hits 3 Hrs and 10 Rbis.  Does that mean that you played it wrong?  Over time, playing matchups will grant you more stats.  

 

I'm OK with having a set strategy based on splits. In your Werth / Peralta scenario I agree with you; you played it right and you shouldn't lose any sleep if on a given day it doesn't work out in your favor.

 

It's when managers start pulling guys out of their lineups because they are not producing that I take issue with. It's just a very unscientific approach is all. "On my bench until he does something" That's BS.

 

Edited by My Dinner With Andre
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

 

I'm OK with having a set strategy based on splits. In your Werth / Peralta scenario I agree with you; you played it right and you shouldn't lose any sleep if on a given day it doesn't work out in your favor.

 

It's when managers start pulling guys out of their lineups because they are not producing that I take issue with. It's just a very unscientific approach is all. "On my bench until he does something" That's BS.

 

 

 

So, even with how bad Rendon has been all season up until today you think owners should have kept him in the lineup the entire time?  Even when they have had other decent options that could fill in?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Zig Zag said:

 

 

So, even with how bad Rendon has been all season up until today you think owners should have kept him in the lineup the entire time?  Even when they have had other decent options that could fill in?

 

Well, I guess if you had decent options....

 

But if you have "decent" options how deep is your league and how long is your bench? And if you have better options why not just cut Rendon loose altogether and actually put that roster spot he's occupying to work?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

 

Well, I guess if you had decent options....

 

But if you have "decent" options how deep is your league and how long is your bench? And if you have better options why not just cut Rendon loose altogether and actually put that roster spot he's occupying to work?

 

you can't drop a guy like Rendon because you know eventually he's going to get going, you just don't expect it all to come in one game

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

 

Well, I guess if you had decent options....

 

But if you have "decent" options how deep is your league and how long is your bench? And if you have better options why not just cut Rendon loose altogether and actually put that roster spot he's occupying to work?

 

 

Some people have bench spots and pick up 3B options like Suarez or are in keeper leagues and have other options who can play 3b like maybe Matt Carpenter.  If so, you would play them over a guy like Rendon who is slumping.   And it would have been foolish IMO to drop Rendon because obviously look what he is capable of.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...