NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mike Montgomery 2017 Outlook

bigpapi88

30 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

Yeah, Anderson isn't even getting drafted in 10 team NL Only leagues so you can likely get him in post-draft FA until there is an official announcement about who's getting the spot.

He always gets hurt and the narrative was always: Oh if he could just stay healthy!!!  People always pointed to that one season in Oak where he made like 10 starts or something posted an ERA in the 2's and thought that would translate to full season if he could just stay healthy, well in 2015, he actually made 30+ starts for Dodgers and was pretty pedestrian.  So between injury and ineffectiveness, most just avoid at this point.  

16 minutes ago, parrothead said:

He always gets hurt and the narrative was always: Oh if he could just stay healthy!!!  People always pointed to that one season in Oak where he made like 10 starts or something posted an ERA in the 2's and thought that would translate to full season if he could just stay healthy, well in 2015, he actually made 30+ starts for Dodgers and was pretty pedestrian.  So between injury and ineffectiveness, most just avoid at this point.  

Even at an essentially zero price. 

17 hours ago, taobball said:

In most leagues of a 10-14 team size, yes I think even at 0 price, there are better guys out there.  In a big league like over 15 or NL only, I can see.  

On 3/15/2017 at 9:58 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

OT:  Theo already got his FA mega-deal. 

If the SD pitching coach is so good what is he still doing in SD?  Locked into some iron tight contract?  I mean wouldn't the big boys and their big checkbooks be all over getting his service if he is that good?

To ask that question, you also have to ask how Searage is still in Pittsburgh. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

To ask that question, you also have to ask how Searage is still in Pittsburgh. 

Well the Pirates do contend and Pittsburgh is one of the old-time MLB franchises so it isn't exactly the same.  Yeah, money.  But the Pirates can hold on to some of their talent including, I guess, a pitching coach.

19 hours ago, taobball said:

The wise of them know nothing is ever free/has a price. It costs a roster spot..It costs you to pass on everyone else who is available at the end of a draft. Those costs are always downplayed in fantasy then they should be IMO.(especially if you venture in the closer threads)

I'm not dismissing the possibility he ends up revelent enough in 12 teamers.. He's just soo far down from other interesting pitching targets. A lot of whom will get hurt or bust.. But that is part of the gamble of upside/risk.. Anderson doesn't have the payoff for me anything less than 16 teamer for me IMO... Especially if the current projection is to "share" a 5th starting slot.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2

On 3/15/2017 at 7:58 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

OT:  Theo already got his FA mega-deal. 

If the SD pitching coach is so good what is he still doing in SD?  Locked into some iron tight contract?  I mean wouldn't the big boys and their big checkbooks be all over getting his service if he is that good?

You ever been to San Diego man?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, B&F said:

I live here.  The most overrated city in America.  I can't wait to get the hell out of here.

You must not have lived here very long. You might even be stationed here and stuck on base most of the time. I've lived here all my life and it's pretty awesome.

Officially bullpen-bound:

Mike Montgomery will begin the 2017 season in the Cubs' bullpen.
Montgomery got a look for an Opening Day rotation spot this spring, as promised, but the Cubs are going with Brett Anderson as their No. 5 starter. Montgomery posted an impressive 2.52 ERA in seven starts and 42 relief appearances last year between Seattle and Chicago.

9 minutes ago, Stein said:

Should be a nice SP with RP elig when Brett Anderson goes down at some point or they go 6 deep. Whichever happens first.

For Anderson getting hurt vs the Cubs going 6 deep to even be a competition you have to assume Anderson survives at least one start

24 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Officially bullpen-bound:

I'm actually okay with this. Keeps the price down, and it's very clear he's the next man up (whereas, say, Alex Wood, who I also like would have to compete to even be the next man up if he doesn't win a spot).

I like that he's going to the bullpen instead of the minors like some of my other guys battling for a spot will if they lose out. I can get some stats out of him in the meantime.

This is pretty much what was to be expected. Cubs limit Montgomery's innings by keeping him in the pen the 1st half and then in the 2nd half when they go to 6 man rotation or someone gets hurt, he steps in and takes the spot all the while keeping his arm alive long enough for him to be a reliever in the playoffs. I'd guess about 15 starts for Monty this year and a starter job out of the gates in 2018.

• 1 month later...