NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mike Montgomery 2017 Outlook

Not sure I would say great, lucky is a better word.  15 K to 13 BB.  Whip higher than era.  He's definitely in mix though.  If he does get the nod he has to get that 5.57 BB/9 rate down.  He'll get shelled and go <4 with control like that.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ssshhhh. Don't post too much. I want people to completely forget about Montgomery so he remains a deep sleeper. 

what player thread is this?   I was looking for Montgomery, Cubs pitcher.  Lead me to him please

You ever been to San Diego man?

I grabbed him in all 6 of my leagues (12&16 teams). I could be wrong but Butler's peripherals at AAA look pretty bad. They've been increasing montgomery's pitch counts as the season has gone on.

4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I grabbed him in all 6 of my leagues (12&16 teams). I could be wrong but Butler's peripherals at AAA look pretty bad. They've been increasing montgomery's pitch counts as the season has gone on.

Montgomery has a 1.29 ERA, 3.75 FIP and 4.70 xFIP.  Butler's look pretty bad as well, probably due to the 0 HR allowed.

18 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Montgomery has a 1.29 ERA, 3.75 FIP and 4.70 xFIP.  Butler's look pretty bad as well, probably due to the 0 HR allowed.

Bulter has got an 11% K rate in AAA with a 43% GB..  He's having serious trouble fooling AAA hitters.  Heck he's always had serious trouble with low K% despite having raw talent.

also he's coming off his own ankle injury and hasn't pitched since April 21.

1 minute ago, Slatykamora said:

Bulter has got an 11% K rate in AAA with a 43% GB..  He's having serious trouble fooling AAA hitters.  Heck he's always had serious trouble with low K% despite having raw talent.

also he's coming off his own ankle injury and hasn't pitched since April 21.

He just pitched last night.  Went 6 IP 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K's.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

He just pitched last night.  Went 6 IP 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K's.

Gotcha.. That must be where the speculation comes from now.

The rest of that AAA rotation looks like trash. So it seems the options to choose are simple as the AA guys like Clifton/Underwood/T-seng probably still need more polish.

55 minutes ago, bronxbombers723 said:

any news on who is filling in the rotation spot??

I don't think they've made a decision yet. My guess is they're waiting to see how the next 2 games play out before they decide. Their bullpen has been really taxed recently and if they get taxed further they made need Montgomery to pitch in relief. If that happens I think we see Butler on Friday. If not I think they give Montgomery the ball with a pitch count around 75-80.

• 5 weeks later...

I didn't watch the last start, numbers look mediocre (against COL) but he's getting stretched out still. Starting again tomorrow against Harvey. Then a 2 start week next week (SD and @ MIA). Last week threw 3.1 shut out innings against MIA.

9 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I didn't watch the last start, numbers look mediocre (against COL) but he's getting stretched out still. Starting again tomorrow against Harvey. Then a 2 start week next week (SD and @ MIA). Last week threw 3.1 shut out innings against MIA.

He walks too many people.  Since he got tradednto the cubs he has walked 4.9 per 9 in 79 innings.  He needs to get that down to be an effective SP

52 minutes ago, JBord25 said:

Great start! Taken out after 6inns with only 75 pitches. Not fully stretched out yet?

Bases loaded, 2 outs, and only 2 run lead....Maddon tried to get some more runs on the board there, but failed.  MM could have easily thrown at least one more inning.

2 hours ago, urban2014 said:

Another decent start with zero run support

I know made one mistake to Duvall - paid the price because they never hit when he starts!  Frustrating.  His record is mirage - hes pitched well enough to be at least 3-2!