NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yu Darvish 2017 Outlook

tucker26

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Truly bizarre.  Added velo this year.  But seemingly just pounds cutters and sliders all game long.  Definitely in the overrated category.  Still a nice arm but agree with poster above.  Likely gets drafted too early.  Needs a market correction.

He's not even been pitching as a 2, he's a mid rotation guy now. To blow up at Petco is unforgivable, thank god its not playoff matchups yet the little turd. 

From Rotowire blurb:

See if his owner is spooked and trade someone middling, but hot, for him.

Yeah and who the hell can make a trade at this stage...they are either constantly high over there or just plain idiots.

If he was overdrafted, I think it was just by a few spots, not by multiple SP tiers as is being suggested here.  I just think he was a high risk/reward guy and this was the downside, which means he was only overdrafted in hindsight, knowing that the premiere ace performance didn't happen.

If he's really slipped from being an ace (SP #10 in drafts) to an SP3 or SP4, that means some 20 or 30 pitchers have pitched well enough to overtake him, and I just don't see that many guys ahead of him that I trust in 2018.  Big Erv?  Lance Lynn?  Gio?   Maeda???  And who knows about the other high risk/reward guys like Paxton and Wood who I'd trust if they could stay healthy.

If we find out that Darvish's back problems are a factor, or if he's this terrible for the rest of the year, then maybe you knock him down a tier or two, but look how we buried guys like Keuchel and Greinke who were terrible last year but were steals in drafts this year because of it.  I've never owned Darvish anywhere, but at his best he's a top 5 arm, and he's shown flashes of that this year.  If the market really thinks he's in the 40s or 50s, and if there's no sign of injury, I'm definitely buying.

8 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

If he was overdrafted, I think it was just by a few spots, not by multiple SP tiers as is being suggested here.  I just think he was a high risk/reward guy and this was the downside, which means he was only overdrafted in hindsight, knowing that the premiere ace performance didn't happen.

If he's really slipped from being an ace (SP #10 in drafts) to an SP3 or SP4, that means some 20 or 30 pitchers have pitched well enough to overtake him, and I just don't see that many guys ahead of him that I trust in 2018.  Big Erv?  Lance Lynn?  Gio?   Maeda???  And who knows about the other high risk/reward guys like Paxton and Wood who I'd trust if they could stay healthy.

If we find out that Darvish's back problems are a factor, or if he's this terrible for the rest of the year, then maybe you knock him down a tier or two, but look how we buried guys like Keuchel and Greinke who were terrible last year but were steals in drafts this year because of it.  I've never owned Darvish anywhere, but at his best he's a top 5 arm, and he's shown flashes of that this year.  If the market really thinks he's in the 40s or 50s, and if there's no sign of injury, I'm definitely buying.

yea i have never owned him anywhere ever up until trade deadline this year in one league (benintendi for yu)

i agree after looking at pre draft rankings that during draft time i probably would only take arrieta, degrom,  stras, and cueto over yu but i do favor nl pitchers

outside of those 4 sp going after yu i dont think i would have put any one else ahead yu during draft.. even though yu was dnd for me

he will be in that same tier next year no doubt top 50 overall but probably a bit sooner if he is healthy and has a decent post season

6 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

And then there's this:

Darvish becomes fastest pitcher in MLB history to 1,000 Ks
Michael Bradburn Sep 8, 2017 22:59

2104 from levels. Dude has been worked over his years.

3 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

but he's already 31..he was basically in his prime when he came here and is now on decline

Decline might be a stretch, but he certainly isn't going to be a 3ERA pitcher again unless he stays in the NL and winds up in a good park.

I think a big part of the disappointment is that @SD and vs. COL are both prime matchups and he got shelled in both. Coming in, you'd think at least one of those would have a decent chance at being a CGSHO type gem.

He was holding his draft value up until about a month ago. So I'm thinking this back injury is very likely to be a large part of the problem.

But the overall disappointment is obviously well founded. For a guy to tank at this point in the fantasy season is devastating to a lot of teams. Especially with those matchups.

Edited by Fiveohnine

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

I think a big part of the disappointment is that @SD and vs. COL are both prime matchups and he got shelled in both. Coming in, you'd think at least one of those would have a decent chance at being a CGSHO type gem.

He was holding his draft value up until about a month ago. So I'm thinking this back injury is very likely to be a large part of the problem.

But the overall disappointment is obviously well founded. For a guy to tank at this point in the fantasy season is devastating to a lot of teams. Especially with those matchups.

Do Dodger pitchers have a lot of complete games? Complete games are more of an outlier in today's baseball it seems.

On 9/8/2017 at 11:56 PM, Members_Only_76 said:

complete dog crap, unbeleivable. My season is toast.

Kershaw

Darvish

Kuechel

McCullers

Hill

Rodon

Anderson

All junk, on to football.

You should move back to football calling Kershaw dog crap.  And what has Chase Anderson done but been an ace throughout the season?

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You should move back to football calling Kershaw dog crap.  And what has Chase Anderson done but been an ace throughout the season?

You're right, I should've clarified that. Other than Kershaw being out with an injury which hurt  me badly he's been great (same with Anderson). I guess my point was on paper I thought I had a dynamite staff and a path to winning some $...it just hasn't worked out that way and I got a bit upset seeing my team plummet in the standings.