NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yu Darvish 2017 Outlook

tucker26

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just flat stuff today.  Didn't really have any pitch going.  Was up 0-2 on Almonte and ended up walking him at one point.  That was the kind of night it was for Darvish.  Lots of loud outs as well.  Could of been much worse. Hopefully he finds something in between starts.

Edited by Cmilne23

He seemed frustrated himself on a lot of pitches...... but given how patient the CLE offense is, if they aren't swinging on stuff outside of the zone, it will lead to a lot of walks.... (as it did) 

Disappointed

definitely not on his A game yesterday, but he such a joy to watch pitch. Like midlip said, Cleveland's offense came to play.

My faith in Darvish didn't waiver one bit. Seems totally unpredictable from a hitters standpoint... he really is like a video game when everything is clicking. 

Yu, Thor, Kershaw are the three most fun starting pitchers to watch imo. 

He does at least play with a couple cupcakes in his division, that being the A's and Angels.  Outside of Trout (of course a monster) and Pujols (if he stays healthy), neither the Angels or A's lineups are to be feared.  Hope there are plenty of starts that lineup for Yu against both.

Edited by BigPapi44

Probably the best offense in the AL last night, maybe even in baseball. The Indians are a scary matchup even without Kipnis, would've expected more K's but aside from that I'm not worried. Both him and Klubot weren't on their game last night. Darvish's velocity was fine though so he'll be fine.

11 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Probably the best offense in the AL last night, maybe even in baseball. The Indians are a scary matchup even without Kipnis, would've expected more K's but aside from that I'm not worried. Both him and Klubot weren't on their game last night. Darvish's velocity was fine though so he'll be fine.

I think the Saux would like a word bout the whole best lineup thing. But certainly, your point is valid. Yu can just be his own worst enemy sometimes. He really nibbles too much instead of just trusting his awesome stuff. This is a habit that most Japanese pitchers have, and one the Rangers have tried to correct. He legit wants to throw 120+ pitches on the regular, and it just isn't necessary. I think he's gonna be top 10 good the rest of the year (in points leagues). The div is just ripe with easy matchups and he's further from tjs.

1 hour ago, jwblue said:

He may have his velocity back but not  sure how Tommy John surgery effects control.  

For a lot of pitchers control is one of the things that takes a while to come back after TJ. He definitely struggled to hit his spots last night. Hopefully this won't be as much of an issue going forward. I'm optimistically going to point to it as a flat first start and not think too hard on it unless it continues.

As another guy said the velo being up makes me feel like he is fine physically. Probably just a bad start against an elite offense.

3 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I was watching "the gif" yesterday and noticed that he used to bend much lower in his delivery. A lot more upright now. Do you think it's intentional? something to do with health? 

old man's disease

5 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

Man I thought he was going to have a real good bounce back season a la before the TJ.  I know it's early, but looks like this could be a trollercoaster.

I'm still a believer he has a Cy Young caliber season in that arm.  I've watched all his starts and wouldn't expect him to have a 3.38 era seems like he's been quite a bit worse than that.  I've been largely unimpressed with his command.  His control has been f***** atrocious and it caught up tonight.  Would like to see him attack guys more and put them away instead of nibbling so much.  These are usually correctable issues in short order with someone of his talent.

Edited by Cmilne23