NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yu Darvish 2017 Outlook

tucker26

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

I'm still a believer he has a Cy Young caliber season in that arm.  I've watched all his starts and wouldn't expect him to have a 3.38 era seems like he's been quite a bit worse than that.  I've been largely unimpressed with his command.  His control has been f***** atrocious and it caught up tonight.  Would like to see him attack guys more and put them away instead of nibbling so much.  These are usually correctable issues in short order with someone of his talent.

Milne posts= bad pitchers start. Never a good sign.

He's always been a nibbler though hasn't he? Also never seems to well against Oakland who he should dominate!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As soon as the commentators mentioned he hadn't walked anyone in the game, he proceeded to implode. It really was a weird sequence of events. He needs to be more aggressive and not nibble. His curveball is nasty, throw it more in the dirt when he's ahead in the count. I expect better results next time out. 

Edited by JaJock

1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

Milne posts= bad pitchers start. Never a good sign.

He's always been a nibbler though hasn't he? Also never seems to well against Oakland who he should dominate!

Considering my team is last in whip when I loaded up on all "aces" this year, there's been plenty of bumps for the wrong reasons.  

Yu's stuff is as nasty as anyone in the game currently. Love to see him go right after guys and show a lil emotion today! Even the two Jacks he gave up were honestly sharp breaking pitches, good pitches... credit x2 to the hitters! Was also nice to see him get right back in the groove and dominate the next five innings. 

ps, Matt Bush is pure filth!!! If he remains healthy, you can't underestimate the direct benefit to Yu considering the bandbox they play in.

Edited by LarryChip10

6 hours ago, exzacly909 said:

A very good Yu start. But I HATE that they had him throw 125 pitches tonight. I don't get why you would have a guy coming off TJ throwing that much this early in the season. 

They probably wanted to save the bullpen a little and at least get him through 6 innings. Great start. Walks are still an issue though.

Edited by bradwatson

On 4/30/2017 at 2:00 AM, exzacly909 said:

A very good Yu start. But I HATE that they had him throw 125 pitches tonight. I don't get why you would have a guy coming off TJ throwing that much this early in the season. 

Because they don't care about what happens to him after this year.  They will use him to his max while they have him.  A la Chapman and the Cubs last season.

2 minutes ago, motown magic said:

They moved him back to Friday 

I think they care 

He could stilled up a ranger 

I think they did that b/c they realized he wouldn't be as productive on normal rest after 125 pitches.  Either way, I highly doubt Yu is in a Rangers uniform opening day 2018.

They're either going to get a huge haul in return for him at the deadline (more likely now that Hamels is out for an extended time) or they are going to go for it this year.  Make some acquisitions at the deadline to round out their team.  Highly doubtful that Yu's coming back with the price tag on premium pitching these days.  Especially a pitcher with extensive injury history that they're all too familiar with.

11 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

Would be nice if he went to the NL. Pondering a bit, my wish would be the Braves. Looks like the new park may be a hitter's park, though...

People keep saying Quintana to Astros. I'd keep eye on Yu going to the Astros but not sure the Rangers would deal to the 'Stros though. Obviously ahead of ourselves here a bit....

3 minutes ago, Dugout Legend said:

People keep saying Quintana to Astros. I'd keep eye on Yu going to the Astros but not sure the Rangers would deal to the 'Stros though. Obviously ahead of ourselves here a bit....

Interesting. I think the Astros can make some serious noise. Adding Yu just adds another piece to be a champion. Could be the final piece. Who knows.

Only 6K's and 3ERs, 6IP against the Padres!??? I've been rubbish my hands together in anticipation of this start for weeks! It feels just the same as a young SP at the back of my rotation getting bombed.

Yu is wierd though, he'll probably dominate a good offense next time out.

I'm probably going to look to sell him next few days.  He has not looked good at all this season.  Some very disturbing trends.  His K rate has plummeted, walk rate up, BABIP at .240, Strand rate at 85%, FIP at 4.00.  He's due to get obliterated.  He's just not putting guys away this year.  He gets into so many 6-7 pitch at bats where he just gets fouled off constantly.  His fastball is just not fooling anyone.  Line drive rate way up.  He's not profiling as someone who's due to go on a nice run.  If I could get market value right now I'll probably cash out.

Only 6K's and 3ERs, 6IP against the Padres!??? I've been rubbish my hands together in anticipation of this start for weeks! It feels just the same as a young SP at the back of my rotation getting bombed.

Yu is wierd though, he'll probably dominate a good offense next time out.

If these are his "clunky" starts though, and they're sandwiched between starts like he had against Seattle or KC, I'll gladly sign up for that.

I love it when a guy can, at least battle and give me 6, when he's not on.

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

I'm probably going to look to sell him next few days.  He has not looked good at all this season.  Some very disturbing trends.  His K rate has plummeted, walk rate up, BABIP at .240, Strand rate at 85%, FIP at 4.00.  He's due to get obliterated.  He's just not putting guys away this year.  He gets into so many 6-7 pitch at bats where he just gets fouled off constantly.  His fastball is just not fooling anyone.  Line drive rate way up.  He's not profiling as someone who's due to go on a nice run.  If I could get market value right now I'll probably cash out.

I didn't see much of his start last night but I saw pretty much all of the start before last night against your Mariners... He was getting squeezed all night and went deep into several counts that should've been punch outs. I do agree that he looks slightly off, he just doesn't look as dominant as he did pre-TJ. But the fact that he's able to pitch through it and still put together quality outings is encouraging. I'm not really worried, but he hasn't faced many good lineups yet.

He looked awesome tonight, like the ace we all hoped for. Don't care that it was against the Phillies. His pitches had so much movement, and he touched 98 with the FB. He was making guys look foolish. I almost forgot how much fun he is to watch when he's on his game.

Also according to RW only 2 walks (both tonight) over his past 2 outings - 21 in his previous 7 starts. Control seems to be coming back. Isn't that usually the last piece to return post TJ? Yu could be back to true ace level if that continues.

Yep with the state of pitching, I don't know who yu'd expect to get if yu traded him away. Not like yu're getting Sale, Kershaw or Max. The Phillies made good medicine for him last night, but he looked right back on his game. That slider of his is utterly unhittable when it's on.

Yep with the state of pitching, I don't know who yu'd expect to get if yu traded him away. Not like yu're getting Sale, Kershaw or Max. The Phillies made good medicine for him last night, but he looked right back on his game. That slider of his is utterly unhittable when it's on.

It has so much movement and drop I kept thinking it was a curve ball. It's a devastating pitch. Is that the slurve?

Edited by bradwatson