NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Yu Darvish 2017 Outlook

tucker26

I think Darvish long elite track record deserves more weight than his first 7 or 8 starts to the 2017 season. 

Darvish is a guy who can go on strings of dominant outings .. I think his down peripherals might be a result of just trying to figure things out early in the season .. but even then .. he's still a top 50 player according to Yahoo season rankings.

Also encouraging is the velo has been in the 95 mph range on average his last 2 starts .. where it was in the ~93 range earlier in the season.

Edited by EmbargoLifted

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is everyone convinced he'll be dealt?  Texas had slow start but reeled off 9 of 10.  Up to 23-21.  Good ball club, took a bit for some bats and bullpen to sort it out.  Anyone know where this narrative came from?  Has he said he won't resign there or something?

1 minute ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I don't blame you, I wish I owned him.

Won't be easy.  I'm sure many are nervous because the Tigers have their guys back and hitting well. Yu has done well against the Tigers - 6-0. Hopefully he continues to do so tonight.

3 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Next 3 starts are murderers row:

@DET, @TOR, vsHOU

Ehh Not really. Blue Jays have not been a scary lineup to face without Donaldson. His start @DET tonight scares me the more than @TOR or vs. HOU. If he can have a good start tonight then I'll feel great about his chances against TOR and HOU. 

15 minutes ago, Willsea33 said:

Ehh Not really. Blue Jays have not been a scary lineup to face without Donaldson. His start @DET tonight scares me the more than @TOR or vs. HOU. If he can have a good start tonight then I'll feel great about his chances against TOR and HOU. 

Houston has the highest projected lineup in baseball rest of season .. they are ranked #1

Blue Jays & Tigers are ranked 8th and 10th respectively. That even considers Josh Donaldson's absence from the lineup. 

These teams are loaded with good hitters ... if Darvish doesn't blow these teams away I wouldn't get too discouraged.

5 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Houston has the highest projected lineup in baseball rest of season .. they are ranked #1

Blue Jays & Tigers are ranked 8th and 10th respectively. That even considers Josh Donaldson's absence from the lineup. 

These teams are loaded with good hitters ... if Darvish doesn't blow these teams away I wouldn't get too discouraged.

Astros and Tigers I'll give you, but the Blue Jays? They are currently ranked 23rd in the MLB in .OPS vs RHP. Their lineup is definitely NOT loaded with good hitters. 

10 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Pretty good start for a match up against one of the best 7 lineups in baseball at their home hitter's park.

Not really. The Blue Jays offense has not been all that good without Donaldson in it. The result of the matchup wasn't horrible for those of us in QS leagues but he really labored and lucked out to get there. The qs would have easily been gone but Smoaks hit took a lucky bounce over the wall for a ground rule double. Lots of hard hit balls right at people. Not many strikeouts. 

23 minutes ago, Vote4link said:

Not really. The Blue Jays offense has not been all that good without Donaldson in it. The result of the matchup wasn't horrible for those of us in QS leagues but he really labored and lucked out to get there. The qs would have easily been gone but Smoaks hit took a lucky bounce over the wall for a ground rule double. Lots of hard hit balls right at people. Not many strikeouts. 

Not that good based on what measure? They are the 8th best projected lineup in baseball according to Fangraphs R/S RoS projections (these projections are updated daily with fangraphs' staff playing time projections to account for injuries/lineup absences/etc.): http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings

Edited by EmbargoLifted

3 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Not that good based on what measure? They are the 8th best projected lineup in baseball according to Fangraphs R/S RoS projections (these projections are updated daily with fangraphs' staff playing time projections to account for injuries/lineup absences/etc.): http://www.fangraphs.com/depthcharts.aspx?position=Standings

By being 20th in runs scored so far? And with their best player out of the lineup today.

To me the reason he is maddening...thru 3 today he was sporting a 0.00 whip...and a 0.00 ERA thru 4. Then it all comes crashing down. and it's not really the hitters getting their 3rd look either...it's on Darvish and his control. He did hit 2 batters early on including the opening batter aka his nemesis if u look at his career.