NBC Sports Edge Forums

Carter Capps 2017 Outlook

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, GratefulPhan said:

good source of holds? steals the closers job? 

Most everythjng I've seen is projecting him as the long term closer. If not he's at least in the Miller/Betances tier plus getting holds unless they use him as the fireman. 

Edited by Eddy24
1 minute ago, Eddy24 said:

Most everythjng I've seen is projecting him as the long term closer 

Owned him a couple of years ago, he's great for pretty much everything even if he isn't the closer. Will be interesting to see how he comes back.

Betances and Miller are on teams that will be in ball games. They get the ball more often. I'm not saying he's not valuable. He'll help and ratios if he's middle relief or pick up a safe here and there but don't count on 40 saves.

Believe me I am picking him up myself I just think he's different than those guys.

If he was on a contender he would be an absolute no-brainer.

4 minutes ago, montgrove said:

Betances and Miller are on teams that will be in ball games. They get the ball more often. I'm not saying he's not valuable. He'll help and ratios if he's middle relief or pick up a safe here and there but don't count on 40 saves.

Believe me I am picking him up myself I just think he's different than those guys.

If he was on a contender he would be an absolute no-brainer.

Faulty logic.  AJ Ramos, David Robertson, Jeanmar Gomez & Alex Colome were all top 10 in saves last year.

And pitchers on good teams don't pitch more often.  That just simply isn't true. Of guys with only RP eligibility last year, Erasmo Ramirez (TB), Brad Hand (SD), Carlos Tores (Mil) & Hector Neris (Phi) led in innings.  

38 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

And pitchers on good teams don't pitch more often.  That just simply isn't true. Of guys with only RP eligibility last year, Erasmo Ramirez (TB), Brad Hand (SD), Carlos Tores (Mil) & Hector Neris (Phi) led in innings.  

Talking holds .

and I'm not saying he won't get saves but putting him in the class of Betances and Miller is extremely faulty logic.

40 minutes ago, montgrove said:

Talking holds .

and I'm not saying he won't get saves but putting him in the class of Betances and Miller is extremely faulty logic.

Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see anyone comparing him to or expecting him to be Betances or Miller. I still think he could give us about 75% of what Miller gives us in terms of ratios and K's even if he doesn't close games. 

1 hour ago, Eddy24 said:

Most everythjng I've seen is projecting him as the long term closer. If not he's at least in the Miller/Betances tier plus getting holds unless they use him as the fireman. 

3 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see anyone comparing him to or expecting him to be Betances or Miller. I still think he could give us about 75% of what Miller gives us in terms of ratios and K's even if he doesn't close games. 

See bolded from first quote box.

1 minute ago, mysonx3 said:

See bolded from first quote box.

Yep, I missed it. I don't think he'll be equivalent to them. Not fair to compare him to those numbers in my opinion. He's good, don't get me wrong, but he's coming off a major injury. 

Just now, BostonCajun said:

Yep, I missed it. I don't think he'll be equivalent to them. Not fair to compare him to those numbers in my opinion. He's good, don't get me wrong, but he's coming off a major injury. 

I think it's possible he's right there with them (was pre-injury) but to say he's AT LEAST in that tier is folly

8 minutes ago, mysonx3 said:

I think it's possible he's right there with them (was pre-injury) but to say he's AT LEAST in that tier is folly

Yeah sorry, that was more what I've seen or been hearing as opposed to my opinion. 

Regardless, he was amongst the top relievers in the game before TJ and trying to arbitrarily rank him seems kind of fruitless... his appeal is the potential for elite ratios and Ks with a legitimate shot at the closer's role based on his manager's comments.

Edited by smeeze
1 hour ago, montgrove said:

Talking holds .

I would agree that putting him in the Betances & Miller tier is silly, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the team he plays for.

Did you see

11 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

Looked great in a scoreless inning at AAA Tuesday and should be in SD any day now and I expect him to be closing games fairly soon. Mauer is horrendous. 

Was he pitching similar to last year's hop-step kind of thing?  I know MLB was cracking down on it but not sure what the current modification looks like.  If he's pitching like he did before the hop-step thing I think his k's aren't going to be so outrageous.  Good still but not 17 per 9 IP kind of good... 

40 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Did you see

Was he pitching similar to last year's hop-step kind of thing?  I know MLB was cracking down on it but not sure what the current modification looks like.  If he's pitching like he did before the hop-step thing I think his k's aren't going to be so outrageous.  Good still but not 17 per 9 IP kind of good... 

MLB cleared his delivery as legal. 

48 minutes ago, Eddy24 said:

MLB cleared his delivery as legal. 

Yeah they just said he has to drag his back foot after the hop. There were times last year where he would almost do two hops and that's illegal. He's worked on it this offseason to make sure his back foot is dragging on the second "hop"

Yeah they just said he has to drag his back foot after the hop. There were times last year where he would almost do two hops and that's illegal. He's worked on it this offseason to make sure his back foot is dragging on the second "hop"

Interesting. Do you guys have a link on that ruling? I've been checking and haven't found anything since early March. At that time it sounded like things were going to be a work in progress. If Capps can still use a variation of what he did previously then watch out. Thanks for the uodate..

Just now, knuckleheads said:

Interesting. Do you guys have a link on that ruling? I've been checking and haven't found anything since early March. At that time it sounded like things were going to be a work in progress. If Capps can still use a variation of what he did previously then watch out. Thanks for the uodate..

There were a couple gifs posted on him earlier and I'll see if I can find them. They showed his previous delivery and the one he was working on in ST which is the legal move he'll use going forward. 

There were a couple gifs posted on him earlier and I'll see if I can find them. They showed his previous delivery and the one he was working on in ST which is the legal move he'll use going forward. 

I saw the ST gif (here I think) but didn't think anything was settled...