NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Carter Capps 2017 Outlook

fawkes_mulder

If you have a DL spot, why not stash?  Whenever it comes together, there's tremendous upside here ... and there's tremendous opportunity given the state of their pen and what Andy Green has previously said about Capps (top-3 RP in the game).

My guess in SD is that most of these bullpen arms are getting moved.  Preller should shop Maurer, Hand, Buchter, etc.  The guy they probably won't shop is Capps, given the likely return with his current rehab status.

There's a decent chance he ends up their closer post-deadline.  For the price of a DL spot -- that might be worth it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, JFS179 said:

If you have a DL spot, why not stash?  Whenever it comes together, there's tremendous upside here ... and there's tremendous opportunity given the state of their pen and what Andy Green has previously said about Capps (top-3 RP in the game).

My guess in SD is that most of these bullpen arms are getting moved.  Preller should shop Maurer, Hand, Buchter, etc.  The guy they probably won't shop is Capps, given the likely return with his current rehab status.

There's a decent chance he ends up their closer post-deadline.  For the price of a DL spot -- that might be worth it.

If you've managed to make it through this early season with a free DL spot I'm extremely impressed. It's a bloodbath out there. 

Don't disagree with you though. The potential is tremendous. 

4 minutes ago, Baur10 said:

If you've managed to make it through this early season with a free DL spot I'm extremely impressed. It's a bloodbath out there. 

Don't disagree with you though. The potential is tremendous. 

It varies -- some leagues I have one ... others I can't possibly have enough DL spots.

23 minutes ago, octapuss said:

Getting harder and harder to keep on the DL......when every other pitcher in the MLB is on the DL. (sorta joke).

He is awesome when he pitches, but what is the time table. SD is going no where.

Anyone got a read?

I had to cut bait a couple weeks ago. There's been no time table on his return and even when he does return it's now seeming more likely that his path to the closer role might be more difficult. He hasn't pitched well since returning from the injury and the SD bullpen isn't that bad right now. On the surface Maurer looks terrible if you just look at his ERA and WHIP, however he's been BABIP'd to death. His current BABIP sits at .395 while his FIP and xFIP are 2.54 and 1.97 respectively. SD is in no rush to make a change due to their current status in the ranks so I don't see him as being in danger of losing the job anytime soon. Even though Capps has been touted by the organization as a top 3 reliever in the game I just don't see it as being worthwhile to hold onto him any longer. There are likely a lot of other good spec adds available in most leagues that are actually pitching right now that you can grab and have a better shot at getting a closer gig. 

4 minutes ago, BostonCajun said:

I had to cut bait a couple weeks ago. There's been no time table on his return and even when he does return it's now seeming more likely that his path to the closer role might be more difficult. He hasn't pitched well since returning from the injury and the SD bullpen isn't that bad right now. On the surface Maurer looks terrible if you just look at his ERA and WHIP, however he's been BABIP'd to death. His current BABIP sits at .395 while his FIP and xFIP are 2.54 and 1.97 respectively. SD is in no rush to make a change due to their current status in the ranks so I don't see him as being in danger of losing the job anytime soon. Even though Capps has been touted by the organization as a top 3 reliever in the game I just don't see it as being worthwhile to hold onto him any longer. There are likely a lot of other good spec adds available in most leagues that are actually pitching right now that you can grab and have a better shot at getting a closer gig. 

I don't really see the optimism.  He wasn't a closer before TJS.  They outlawed his delivery, I think.  I think, him just getting on a major league mound in 2017 is a major acheivement for him.   I have him on my watch lists, but I would not roster him

Edited by rich22

38 minutes ago, rich22 said:

I don't really see the optimism.  He wasn't a closer before TJS.  They outlawed his delivery, I think.  I think, him just getting on a major league mound in 2017 is a major acheivement for him.   I have him on my watch lists, but I would not roster him

They didnt outlaw his delivery ffs.

21 minutes ago, S1mcity said:

They didnt outlaw his delivery ffs.

ok thanks.  I thought I heard that somewhere.  It's actually a bit unclear.  He did have to tweak his delivery a bit.  

Edited by rich22

5 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

And if you read through he is making an effort to always drag his back foot. If he doesn't it is a balk with runners on base or illegal pitch if there aren't which is why I posted to a certain degree he is having to tweak his delivery.

2 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

And if you read through he is making an effort to always drag his back foot. If he doesn't it is a balk with runners on base or illegal pitch if there aren't which is why I posted to a certain degree he is having to tweak his delivery.

Based on their own interpretation of the rules, MLB gave Capps’ motion its blessing, so long as he didn’t jump *up*. It was emphasized that Capps would have to drag his back foot. So it remains. From the various indications, baseball’s stance hasn’t changed, and it’s still okay with Carter Capps, circa 2015.

Direct quote from the article.. not sure how else to interpret that no change has happened and Capps is still legal. Do you somehow read that to say he's changing anything?

6 minutes ago, osb_tensor said:

Based on their own interpretation of the rules, MLB gave Capps’ motion its blessing, so long as he didn’t jump *up*. It was emphasized that Capps would have to drag his back foot. So it remains. From the various indications, baseball’s stance hasn’t changed, and it’s still okay with Carter Capps, circa 2015.

Direct quote from the article.. not sure how else to interpret that no change has happened and Capps is still legal. Do you somehow read that to say he's changing anything?

I think he had changed his delivery in spring training and THAT delivery would be illegal.  It's not a delivery he had ever used in a game though, hence the reference to 2015.  So, I think he's gone back to his old ('15) delivery.

At least that's my recollection without reading through this entire thread again.

3 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

I think he had changed his delivery in spring training and THAT delivery would be illegal.  It's not a delivery he had ever used in a game though, hence the reference to 2015.  So, I think he's gone back to his old ('15) delivery.

At least that's my recollection without reading through this entire thread again.

You are correct, and in the article he states he never planned to use anything different than his original unusual delivery. This was a practice only delivery/drill. 

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

Making sure the back foot drags which it sometimes didn't. 

Got moved to the 60-day DL... Does that mean 60 days from now or from original placement, so from start of season, so he could still be activated at the end of May?

Edited by pbjfb

Just now, pbjfb said:

Got moved to the 60-day DL... Does that mean 60 days from now or from original placement, so from start of season, so he still be activated at the end of May?

60 days from the start of the season.  

1 minute ago, Mickey Donovan said:

Honest question, how does anybody hold this guy at this point? How could anybody have a DL slot open for a guy who hasn't pitched in a year and a half? 

I'm trying to decide whether to hold on to him or Nate Jones, the only thing that keeps me holding on is the SD closer situation is more shaky

42 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I'm trying to decide whether to hold on to him or Nate Jones, the only thing that keeps me holding on is the SD closer situation is more shaky

not sure how Nate Jones' injury is at the moment but I would say if healthy he has a clearer path to the role.  In any event Capps might be the safer drop to pick up later depending on your league settings and managers.  FYI I dropped Capps a month ago in my 12 teamer and he's still there.   He was owned by another manager originally so I do know he is at least on some people's radar.  However, as someone has noted the amount of DL activity eliminates Capps as a viable stash in my opinion.  The best I am going to do is keep an eye out for what he does in the minors.  If he starts to really dominate there he would probably become a good stash again.  

Edited by knuckleheads

39 minutes ago, Mickey Donovan said:

Honest question, how does anybody hold this guy at this point? How could anybody have a DL slot open for a guy who hasn't pitched in a year and a half? 

Dynasty league and he has best closer/reliever in the league potential. Easy stash and hold.

27 minutes ago, elrey said:

Dynasty league and he has best closer/reliever in the league potential. Easy stash and hold.

If he gets back to where he was 2 years ago he could be top end closer.   But then again he's never had a major league save in his life and appears to have quite a ways to go to get to his 2015 dominating self.  Thus it really depends on league settings.  In my 12 teamer with 2 DL stashes I am just not too worried that someone will be picking him up anytime soon.     

21 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Got moved to the 60-day DL... Does that mean 60 days from now or from original placement, so from start of season, so he could still be activated at the end of May?

I thought it was odd to go to the 60-day DL for command issues so hopefully he'll be back in June with the DL time starting at the start of the season.

• 1 month later...