NBC Sports Edge Forums

Danny Duffy 2017 Outlook

He definitely shouldn't have been dropped, but the idea that he's definitely going to to get better has no basis in fact.  Offense goes up as the temperatures get warmer, and there are legitimate concerns about a guy who went from the bullpen to starting last year being able to put up a consistent starter's workload and maintain effectiveness.  I'm valuing him as a mid-tier SP3 at this point, which is still a good pitcher, but the days of 9+ K/9 might be over.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Red Sox Nation said:

I wouldn't go that far. 14 hits given up in those 2 starts. The Orioles have a .706 OPS vs lefties, so Duffy had a pretty favorable match-up last night. The increase in fastball/change-up velo was promising though. Tough start vs the Yankees on deck, so I think that'll tell us a lot more about him. 

For him and his current K/9, they were really good. He's obviously not the SP2 a lot of us thought he was. He will probably end the season with a 3.60 - 3.75 ERA.

1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

Anybody considering sitting him vs. killer Yanks?

If I had a solid rotation I might wanna save innings tmw, but my pitching sucks so I might as well use it on Duffy.

this is such an easy sit it's not even funny

his projected game score tomorrow on espn is 49

same as Jordan Z and Garrett

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX
2 minutes ago, Pablo989 said:

First time I sit him. He's playing the Yankees so I expected him to suck...career ERA of 7 against them.

He has 5 strikeouts through 2 innings.

Where has this Duffy been all year?

I've had him benched for weeks. Hope he's getting hot just in time for his two starts next week.

They flashed a stat saying if you take away his 2 starts vs CHW he's been dominant 

loving what I'm seeing tonight ....seems relaxed  and challenging hitters with pitches in the zone 

Having Berrrios and Duff man go today was nice.  2 damn bad I also started Santana and Bundy. Anyways the last 3 starts have been great snd the ks finally came today.  I think Duffy may have turned the corner. 

Just now, roscobangs said:

Ok but WHAT WAS HIS VELOCITY?!?!?

Hitting 95 consistently all game. He looked dominant. As someone already mentioned, the broadcast showed how good he's been when you remove the two White Sox starts from the equation. 

His slider tonight was making everyone look silly. Was night to see him look like a Top Shelf Ace.

Impressive outing. Flashed 95-96 in the 1st and 2nd, before tailing off a bit to what he's been this year (91-94). At least there was some glimmer that the velo could be ticking up. Regardless of velo, he was in complete control last night. The slider was his weapon of choice, throwing 40 of them (11 swing and misses). He's done a good job of using his slider and change-up more this year, and has leaned whichever one he felt was better that day. 

Still, I know I'm in the minority after his last few games, but I'm still not fully sold on him. If he can dominate AT the Yankees next week, I think I'll be more on board with him as a top 25 pitcher. He's had one season his entire career with a SIERA below 4.31 or a xFIP below 4.42. Pitching in a pitchers park and with a good D behind him is going to help him beat those numbers (as he normally has), but his only good season by secondary ERA metrics was the year he threw 95 consistently. He's going to need that good velo to raise his K rate and help lower his whip if he's going to be on the sp2/3 border. 

22 hours ago, Red Sox Nation said:

Still, I know I'm in the minority after his last few games, but I'm still not fully sold on him. If he can dominate AT the Yankees next week, I think I'll be more on board with him as a top 25 pitcher. He's had one season his entire career with a SIERA below 4.31 or a xFIP below 4.42. Pitching in a pitchers park and with a good D behind him is going to help him beat those numbers (as he normally has), but his only good season by secondary ERA metrics was the year he threw 95 consistently. He's going to need that good velo to raise his K rate and help lower his whip if he's going to be on the sp2/3 border. 

He is 100% a sell. His peripherals are terrible and his velocity still isn't great. 

28 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Per Yahoo he is only making one start. is this true? They are playing a doubleheader today so that shouldn't change the rotation plans for the coming week right?

I dont think they accounted for the doubleheader.