NBC Sports Edge Forums

Danny Duffy 2017 Outlook

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

What the Hell? I just saw that on the Rotoworld front page. They came from nowhere. I'm dropping, I can't afford to wait 8 weeks for him to return

He sustained the injury while covering 1st base. After taking the toss from Hosmer he jabbed his right foot toward the base, missed, and fell forward. Instead of catching himself with his left arm he slid out on his hand and strained his side in doing so. He was protecting his arm I guess. 

Had given up 3ER at that point. On the next 2 pitches Brantley stole 2nd and then advanced to 3rd on a pitch Duffy threw to the backstop, then scored on a sac fly to the next batter.

I'm giving Duffy a pass on the poor start due to the injury, obviously. I'm also going to hold but that's all to do with league format, 12 team AL-only (unlimited DL but costs $10 in the pot).

Having a hard time dropping him on a 12-teamer but oblique injuries for pitchers aren't good and hard to wait 8 weeks for a pitcher who was already struggling a bit and not guaranteed to suffer no set backs or even return to form. I would say if you can get any value for him good for you but most will probably cut bait unless you have an open DL spot and can weather the storm.

8 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Having a hard time dropping him on a 12-teamer but oblique injuries for pitchers aren't good and hard to wait 8 weeks for a pitcher who was already struggling a bit and not guaranteed to suffer no set backs or even return to form. I would say if you can get any value for him good for you but most will probably cut bait unless you have an open DL spot and can weather the storm.

I'm probably going to have to give him the drop today - in my roto league I have Wood, Sanchez, Duffy & Haniger on the DL with only three DL spots available.  Highly unfortunate!

Just an unfortunate injury, especially how it happened (on a tumble while racing to 1st to cover a grounder). I thought after last start he might turn the corner. If I had a subpar record and/or minimal DL spots in a standard redraft, I'd be forced to drop. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2017 at 10:00 PM, Picard56 said:

Already throwing a bullpen session. Does this mean he is ahead of schedule or normal for a pitcher to be throwing a BP session after suffering an oblique injury three weeks earlier?

Im also wondering the same. Very intrigued by the bullpen news as he was dropped in my 10 teamer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had his AAA rehab start today, targeting 40 - 45 pitches.

2 2/3 IP  2H  2ER  1BB  3K  1HR  48P-28S

He got pulled after the walk+HR combo. I did not see the start so all I can do is parrot back the stat line. It took him 38 pitches to get through the first two innings for whatever that's worth.

I guess it could've been worse? Hope he's not pressing to come back before he's ready; obliques are tough injuries to overcome.

8 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Returning on Tuesday against the Mariners. Anyone starting?

I'll probably start him. I mean heck, look what Jon gray did tonight on his first game back and against a great offense. 

8 minutes ago, scoh123 said:

I'll probably start him. I mean heck, look what Jon gray did tonight on his first game back and against a great offense. 

You're comparing apples and oranges. Gray does not equal Duffy. Gray more than often than not pitches well away from Coors for obvious reasons. Duffy may not be as good if his velocity is down. I would proceed with cautious for Duffy's 1st start back.

Edited by canaan_ko