NBC Sports Edge Forums

José Quintana 2017 Outlook

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Hellgrammite said:

Kansas City the worst offense in baseball though, so temper expectations.  Oakland is a better hitting staff.

Sure, but Quinatana has been consistently great over the past four seasons.  Sometimes all a good pitcher needs to get going is a good game, even if that good game comes against a mediocre team.  

Honestly, his line against Cleveland wasn't that bad; 6 INN, 5 H, 3 ER, 3 BB and 6 K's.  It sucked that he was facing Kluber who blanked the Sox, but it honestly wasn't that bad.  Lead off double to Austin Jackson in the third who wound up scoring on a wild pitch (I believe he had two of those today, Soto couldn't handle the low curveball) and then a 2-run HR to Guyer.  Not saying it was the greatest line in the world, but Cleveland is a tough lineup.  I mean, at this point we're talking about a guy who has 3 QS out of the 5 games he has started.

3 hours ago, ktierne3 said:

Anyone rolling him out there today? Struggled at the beginning of the season but has been good the past couple starts against weaker teams. Not sure whether I want to roll the dice at Camden.

Really need every K I can get this week and have a good lead on my pitching ratios, so yeah. I'm expecting some ERs though.

Just now, WouldntYouLikeToKnow said:

7 singles and 3 BB...is he getting BABIP'd? Anyone watching?

The first run was a sac fly after Saladino was unable to make a double play, double clutched on the throw to first, a replay overturned the out call. That was followed by 2 bloop singles that scored two more runs. That's when I quit watching.

• 2 weeks later...

Let's give it up for Jose -- 8 innings of 1-hit ball with 1 BB and 7 Ks. I was at the Phillies-Pirates game so I only saw his last 3 innings, but it was the Q I remember from last year.  Hopefully this is a sign of things to come.

38 minutes ago, pjoner said:

anyone else sitting him at Arizona tonight?

With Kluber and Price on the shelf, Q is my ace. I've got to start him. Peralta and Lamb both have troubles with lefties and he just turned in a gem against the M's. I've got some confidence in him. 

He was safely planted on my bench for that one. You have to pick your spots with this guy now, which sucks if you drafted him as your SP 2 or 3, but you can't drop him and you can't get anything back in a trade for him.