NBC Sports Edge Forums

José Quintana 2017 Outlook

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, swfcdan said:

You can't drop Q. His fastball command definately is off, but stuff seems the same. He was never a hard thrower anyway.

Just bench him until he shows signs of turning it around. If you don't have bench spots then...well, you're not in a very good league.

Or you have 7 players on the DL (like I do) and rosters spots are super valuable...

Yeah.  I've given up trying to predict his good and bad starts.  He needs to nibble a little more tonight against the K-happy Rays -- he always seems to be trying to keep his pitch count down for the CG and ends up getting bombed out.

3 minutes ago, WouldntYouLikeToKnow said:

He has a 1.80 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, and 10.80 K/9 through 5 innings and you're unhappy? 

Against the Rays... I think he has a case for being unhappy with Quintana's lack of efficiency. 

It's just out of character.  He used to have more of an ability to induce weak contact and get into the 7th inning and beyond.  Through 11 starts, he's gotten past the 6th three times, last year in his first 11 starts he got past the 6th 5 times.  Through 11 games last year he had 72.0 IP, through the first 11 games this year only 64.1 IP.  It might not sound like much, but that adds up to an extra three or four starts over the course of a season if you're getting that deep into games, which means more Ks and more impact on ratios.

8 minutes ago, Willsea33 said:

Against the Rays... I think he has a case for being unhappy with Quintana's lack of efficiency. 

The Rays have scored the 10th most runs in baseball this season. I don't understand. Quintana has been awful, but has a good start against a top 10 offense tonight and you guys are complaining about his pitch count? 

As a Quintana owner I'm encouraged by this start. 

2 minutes ago, WouldntYouLikeToKnow said:

The Rays have scored the 10th most runs in baseball this season

12th out of 15 in the AL vs. LHP though.

2 minutes ago, WouldntYouLikeToKnow said:

May want to wait until his line is complete before saying that.  He just handed two runners off to the bullpen, and Beck loaded the bases.  4 BB on the day, and the Ks are inflated by the Rays being #1 in the AL in K%.  One of those games that only looks okay if you don't look too closely at it.

5 minutes ago, WouldntYouLikeToKnow said:

The Rays have scored the 10th most runs in baseball this season. I don't understand. Quintana has been awful, but has a good start against a top 10 offense tonight and you guys are complaining about his pitch count? 

Is it really a good start though? He threw a lot of pitches, and has allowed 8 base runners and just got pulled after 5.1.

19 minutes ago, soxfan94 said:

Is it really a good start though? He threw a lot of pitches, and has allowed 8 base runners and just got pulled after 5.1.

Maybe not great, but is owners, which I am one, should be happy the way he's been getting bombed lately.

Any reason I should still have this guy in a 10 team? I say this after just about every start. I just can't seem to pull the trigger to drop him. I know the potential's there, but it's just not showing up this year.

7 hours ago, laracco said:

Any reason I should still have this guy in a 10 team? I say this after just about every start. I just can't seem to pull the trigger to drop him. I know the potential's there, but it's just not showing up this year.

I think you have to hold. I've been spot starting him since it became evident he's not himself this year. It's worth holding to 1) start him against weak teams and 2) in case he figures it out and 3) in case he's traded to a  pitcher's park and/or an NL team. 

4 hours ago, motown magic said:

GaGaGa garbage . I'm suppose to be happy with one so so start out of the last 6-7 games . and hasn't won a game in over a month? I can't even get an offer on him .

I haven't started him in a month every time i look at who he's pitching against i say to myself "no way"

I do think IT"S HAPPENING but the next three matchups are brutal.  Yankees at home, Rangers at home, at Coors.  Missing two series vs. the Athletics in between unless they skip a start somewhere.  I might deal him in my redraft league just because of that.