NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joey Votto 2017 Outlook

Homerj24

"I have decided to decline this year's WBC event," Votto said Wednesday in a statement released by the Reds. "There were some aspects of my performance in 2016 that I have decided were lacking. I would like to use 2017 spring training for preparation. I am thankful to the Baseball Canada program for inviting me to join the team. It is an honor to represent my country. I made this decision with much reflection because of the pride I have wearing the Canadian flag on my uniform. I look forward to cheering the team on and watching them win the 2017 event."

326/434/550/985 was 'lacking' apparently. Another huge season in 2017?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine if this guy had a really good team around him... Gah, he's so talented. And dreamy.

The guy is a beast, plays in a horrid lineup, and still manages to score 15 IBB. Unreal.

Gotta be a lock for another .310+ season to go along with 28+HR, ~100RBI, ~100R and a ridiculous OBP/OPS... And I think we should remember that at 33 years old he stole 8 bases last year and was only caught once... If he steals 5 I'd be stoked.

Let's say .318, .430, .530 with something like 29HR, 98RBI, 105R, 7SB. Should be a first rounder, maybe. 

24 minutes ago, BlueJaysIn2030 said:

Imagine if this guy had a really good team around him... Gah, he's so talented. And dreamy.

The guy is a beast, plays in a horrid lineup, and still manages to score 15 IBB. Unreal.

Gotta be a lock for another .310+ season to go along with 28+HR, ~100RBI, ~100R and a ridiculous OBP/OPS... And I think we should remember that at 33 years old he stole 8 bases last year and was only caught once... If he steals 5 I'd be stoked.

Let's say .318, .430, .530 with something like 29HR, 98RBI, 105R, 7SB. Should be a first rounder, maybe. 

If Rizzo is a first rounder how is Votto a maybe?

Let's just hope that by "performance" he's referring simply to his defensive shortcomings and nothing more.

I don't think I can take another first-half filled with scares of an impending Vottopocalypse, as he (unnecessarily) works to tweak that already-sweet swing to perfection for a second or third season in a row.

26 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I would have no issues taking Votto towards the end of the first round.

He's pretty safe if he's healthy. Don't know if I could take him at the end of a 12 team first round, but I also don't think it's crazy as well.... especially in a roto league, and no doubt in a roto league that factors in walks in a meaningful way.

I think 29-85-85 .305 is a pretty fair projection. 

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

He's pretty safe if he's healthy. Don't know if I could take him at the end of a 12 team first round, but I also don't think it's crazy as well.... especially in a roto league, and no doubt in a roto league that factors in walks in a meaningful way.

I think 29-85-85 .305 is a pretty fair projection. 

It's definitely a close one. I do think I would rather have Rizzo. I don't think you can go wrong with Rizzo, Miggy, or Votto in the 12-15ish range.

5 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

any chance he is traded this year??

Zero. Votto is a smart guy, he understands that rebuilds take a few years and he's not jumping ship for a win now team at 33 years old. I see his career playing out one of three ways.

1) The NL will adopt the DH and he will be a Red forever 

2) Due to injuries his defense hits such a low point that he is forced to the AL for a DH spot. 

3) He finally agrees to a trade in his twilight if the Reds don't win a championship by 2022.

So basically unless he suffers some seriously nagging injury he's not going anywhere. No reason to even think about it. 

Edited by BleedRedsRed

I remember once hearing/reading that each of the last 2 years he has intentionally approached the plate in a specific way during April/May to set up pitchers for the rest of the year.

June-Rest of season 2015, 188 WRC+ .329/.491/.565

June-Rest of season 2016, 188 WRC+, .378/.482/.619 

If I don't draft him, and he starts off slow I will absolutely trade for him at the end of May.

10 hours ago, verycoolnin said:

I imagine he'll get more walks since there's not a lot of offense around him. 

Really the only concern. Could have an impact on those counting stat totals. Reds are pretty devoid of offensive talent. Hamilton and Cozart could easily post at or below .300 OBPs ahead of Votto and I'm not sure I see another .800 OPS player on the rest of the team.

Votto is an amazing player, but I think his only upside comes in the form of an unlikely trade.

I love having Votto on my team especially in OBP leagues. He should be considered a 1st rounder. Some will knock him due to the lack of lineup around him but that didn't stop him from putting up numbers last year. Now he's not going to get the counting stats that someone like Rizzo or Miggy will get but I'll gladly take the discount on him for what he'll provide.

On 1/24/2017 at 11:07 AM, draftbackwards said:

He's terrific, but lets be realistic on the rbi projections.  He drove in over 80 once in the past 5 years.  I feel his upside is mostly batting average.  I think he has a better chance at .340 than he does 105 rbi.

If the Reds' offense ahead of him (namely, Peraza and Hamilton) shows the same improvements this year they did in the second half last year, he's a lock for 100 RBI. He's a monster with RISP. Hard to drive in 100 when you're batting behind scrubs like Ivan DeJesus Jr and Hernan Iribraren for a good chunk of the year (and even the players worthy of being in the MLB he hit behind like Zack Cozart and Suarez still had paltry OBPs.) I'm honestly impressed he got to 97.

Edited by TheYellowSubmarine

B.Hamilton has a career .297 OBP(all the way up to .321 in 2016), J.Peraza walked 7 times in 72 games...really...7 times!!

Obviously, both guys are extremely fast, but I see some of the lowest OBP in baseball in front of Votto.  B.Phillips walked 18 times in 141 games.  Duvall was great last year...although he had just a .297 OBP.

Bottom line...Votto is stupid good.  His lineup is stupid bad...especially OBP.

On 1/30/2017 at 6:29 PM, My Dinner With Andre said:

It makes me sad when people criticize Votto

10th all-time in OBP... that's insane!

what I find just as neat, is that Votto is 38th all-time in slugging percentage (a

statistic that does not include walks). His .536 mark is greater

than Schmidt, Stargell, Chipper, and Slammin’ Sammy, to name a

few.

1 hour ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

10th all-time in OBP... that's insane!

what I find just as neat, is that Votto is 38th all-time in slugging percentage (a

statistic that does not include walks). His .536 mark is greater

than Schmidt, Stargell, Chipper, and Slammin’ Sammy, to name a

few.

Well, nobody is pitching to him.  So there's that too.