NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joey Votto 2017 Outlook

Homerj24

18 minutes ago, DoTheRoar said:

Any other Votto owners panicking a bit?

He just had his worst Spring ever, by far, and in the offseason said he was much more focused on defense (not hitting) unlike in years past. 

I am worried.

Yeah, don't be. After having owned him last year holding out through his horrendous first half I'll never be worried about Votto ever again. His second half just set in stone that this is one of the best hitters of all time. Slow starter this stud, don't sweat it.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, DoTheRoar said:

Any other Votto owners panicking a bit?

He just had his worst Spring ever, by far, and in the offseason said he was much more focused on defense (not hitting) unlike in years past. 

I am worried.

I am worried in the way I am worried that the sun will rise tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure it will rise-- but there is a chance this could be all be a simulation, and they will it off tomorrow and reset the simulation, and all of us-- Joey Votto included-- will become dinosaurs. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, jb_power said:

I take it this is your 1st time owning Votto ... he always starts off slow as he like to tinker

Came in here to say the same.

If you check out his thread from last year, you'll find some wacky gifs of him at the beginning of the season while he struggled.

2 minutes ago, jb_power said:

I take it this is your 1st time owning Votto ... he always starts off slow as he like to tinker

While true -- he is swinging way more than usual. See the fangraphs article

Patience is key tho. He was pretty bad the first half last year only to bat 400 over the second half.

According to Fangraphs, Swing Rate stabilizes at around 50 PA. If this is the new norm for Votto, we will know it soon, and if so we should be worried. (Speaking of approach, not results. We all know he's not going to hit .160.) 

Edited by DoTheRoar

8 minutes ago, DoTheRoar said:

According to Fangraphs, Swing Rate stabilizes at around 50 PA. If this is the new norm for Votto, we will know it soon, and if so we should be worried.

Eh, I still wouldn't be too worried.  This isn't some new kid going into his second season.  This is a future HOFer we're talking about, and a guy who as recently as last season put up an OBP well above .400. 

Edited by phillyphan21

Just now, Rammer28 said:

Through 2 months last season Votto was hitting .213. He finished the season hitting .326. Plus he's always kindve been a second half player. 

Not worried about the results, worried about the massive shift in approach. He is swinging at just about everything. 

1 minute ago, DoTheRoar said:

Not worried about the results, worried about the massive shift in approach. He is swinging at just about everything. 

He has weird approaches sometimes. He gets wacky for whatever reason. At some point he goes back to godly. Don't worry about it.