NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Joey Votto 2017 Outlook

Homerj24

Just now, jamesisharden said:

...And he finished the season with a 1.000 OPS in 2015.

No one overreacted to 1 bad week of Votto in 2015. We were all scratching our heads into the first few months of both 2015 and 2016, but he's proven each time that he is the stud we thought he was.

In 2015, his first half slash line was 277/392/484 and in 2016 it was 252/386/446. Neither line was even that horrible. Votto's OPS in both of those first halves are better than Puigs CAREER OPS. The suggestion that Votto is going to suddenly fall off after 1 bad week is asinine.

Like I said, we'll see

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, DoTheRoar said:

Like I said, we'll see

Everybody slumps and I'm not saying Votto has never had a bad half but I generally don't bet against completely healthy Hall of Fame level players. The best approach in my experience is to try and take out personal optimism/pessimism and just look at player history and health. Predicting month long slumps is something only a complete pessimist would do in this case.

52 minutes ago, mevins31 said:

I traded for him. I don't like his chances from here 

Congratulations.  You can't argue with that kind of logic.  ?

The post all-star game "slump" for Votto is 99.56% most likely just the typical ebbs and flows of a season.  He's been one of the very best hitters in baseball for quite sometime now, and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.  I'm not sure logically how anyone can actually doubt this.  

This must be some sort of a joke. Votto is playing like a first rounder, and you want to complain about ONE WEEK!?!?! Please.

Dude is within striking range of taking over #1 ranking from Judge (and much more reliable). You're insulting him.

1 hour ago, mtblock said:

This must be some sort of a joke. Votto is playing like a first rounder, and you want to complain about ONE WEEK!?!?! Please.

Dude is within striking range of taking over #1 ranking from Judge (and much more reliable). You're insulting him.

I agree. Must be some kind of joke.  In points leagues he's the #1 hitter,  and he's 4th overall.

21 hours ago, BleedRedsRed said:

Everybody slumps and I'm not saying Votto has never had a bad half but I generally don't bet against completely healthy Hall of Fame level players. The best approach in my experience is to try and take out personal optimism/pessimism and just look at player history and health. Predicting month long slumps is something only a complete pessimist would do in this case.

Votto is in the Hall of Very Good, no chance at the HOF IMO.

3 hours ago, DoTheRoar said:

Votto is in the Hall of Very Good, no chance at the HOF IMO.

2v6nlaP.jpg

So I never said he is a lock for the Hall of Fame since he definitely has quite a bit of career to go but unless he is on steroids or plays his home games at Coors, Joey Votto is pretty much the definition of a legendary hitter.

Which is why I said "Hall of Fame level"

Edited by BleedRedsRed

4 minutes ago, DoTheRoar said:

How is it a joke of a claim? He's just about 34 and just now reached 1500 hits/200 HR/750 RBI. 

You're acting as if he's about to retire after this season.  He's under contract until 2023.  You're also forgetting his career OBP of .425, which would place him top 10 on the HOF list.

Votto needs 3 to 5 years of similiar production (his average season over the last 3 years) to reach HOF standards.  

I think he's got a good shot.  Below are his current Batting totals:

Hall of Fame Statistics

Black Ink
  Batting - 16 (147), Average HOFer ≈ 27
Gray Ink
  Batting - 137 (124), Average HOFer ≈ 144
Hall of Fame Monitor
  Batting - 74 (267), Likely HOFer ≈ 100
Hall of Fame Standards

Batting - 36 (211), Average HOFer ≈ 50

1 hour ago, DoTheRoar said:

How is it a joke of a claim? He's just about 34 and just now reached 1500 hits/200 HR/750 RBI. 

He's a guy who's going to be able to hit for a long time. He's not dependent on speed or defense. 

If he plays another 6 years and averages 180 hits/27 HR/100 RBI that would give him ~2,600/~360/~1,350 with an elite OBP, great OBP even for HOF standards.

So while it's fair to question if the old school crowd will fixate on the less impressive counting numbers, it is indeed ridiculous to claim that he has "no" path whatsoever to the HOF.

8 hours ago, DoTheRoar said:

Looking at his 7 year peak WAR, per his JAWS, he's still below the average HOFer. So nope

After looking at it, of the 23 Hall of Fame First Basemen only 10 were above Votto in WAR7. So really he is in the top half of that list and the only reason that the total average is so high is because of the absolutely ridiculous prime years of Gehrig, Pujols and Foxx whose WAR7 are 11 points higher than Mize at #4.