NBC Sports Edge Forums

Dallas Cowboys 2017 Season Outlook

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jerry Jones just needs to shut up and do his job. These owners are employed by the NFL and Roger Goodell is his boss. "I work at a warehouse 40 hours a week and I do not threaten to sue my boss because I'm dissatisfied with work conditions." This is not the platform for Jerry Jones to be a disobedient thug. Just play owner, eat Papa Johns, and shut up.

LOL! :P

2 hours ago, KareemX said:

"I work at a warehouse 40 hours a week and I do not threaten to sue my boss because I'm dissatisfied with work conditions."

Someone who has value/leverage CAN sue his boss. Any shlub off the street can work at a warehouse. Only a select few have what it takes to run an NFL football team. This is why our education system is designed to produce millions of people who have little value. An immense workforce that has to shut up and do what they are told. If they don't,  they will be replaced by someone who does.

4 minutes ago, this guy right here said:

Someone who has value/leverage CAN sue his boss. Any shlub off the street can work at a warehouse. Only a select few have what it takes to run an NFL football team. This is why our education system is designed to produce millions of people who have little value. An immense workforce that has to shut up and do what they are told. If they don't,  they will be replaced by someone who does.

It’s true, if you are an ambitious, intelligent, megalomaniacal sociopath the possibilities of what you can achieve in America is pretty limitless.

Jerry Jones is the perfect personality to be a force in this industry. 

3 hours ago, KareemX said:

Jerry Jones just needs to shut up and do his job. These owners are employed by the NFL and Roger Goodell is his boss. "I work at a warehouse 40 hours a week and I do not threaten to sue my boss because I'm dissatisfied with work conditions." This is not the platform for Jerry Jones to be a disobedient thug. Just play owner, eat Papa Johns, and shut up.

LOL! :P

While agree Jerry is a blowhard and should shutup for once (or forever), I believe Goodell is employed by the owners... so technically Jerry is one of his 32 equal bosses.  This is why he's threatening the other owners if they don't support him, and not just Goodell.

16 minutes ago, DekuTree said:

By which you mean a buttload of mostly ill-gotten money. 

That is definitely a precursor but, it takes much more than that. If Joe Shoe wins the lottery and buys a NFL franchise he's bankrupt before the season begins.

Edited by this guy right here
37 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

While agree Jerry is a blowhard and should shutup for once (or forever), I believe Goodell is employed by the owners... so technically Jerry is one of his 32 equal bosses.  This is why he's threatening the other owners if they don't support him, and not just Goodell.

While it seems a bit bias given the current big suspension/legal issue going on the Elliot it's good that someone is doing something.  Goodell has just handled every big situation handed to him pretty much as horribly as he possibly could have.

3 minutes ago, Kyle87 said:

While it seems a bit bias given the current big suspension/legal issue going on the Elliot it's good that someone is doing something.  Goodell has just handled every big situation handed to him pretty much as horribly as he possibly could have.

But he's just trying to "defend the shield" man, come on...........

And as someone else above me pointed out, Goodell is not JJ's boss.  It is the other way around.  Goodell serves the owners.

2 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

This is correct. Goodell is employed by the owners. They selected him to make those tough decisions like this Elliot case.

However I do think that his decision making has been so inconsistent and it sort of started around the Ray Rice debacle. Public opinion versus doing what's more positive towards the owners and their teams. He's doing a decent job making money for the owners but in this area he's been very up and down. I think what will make his life easier is that in the offseason, the NFL needs to make a more detailed set of rules outlining what kind of issues are considered for what duration of suspension. And not vague either. Domestic violence, etc etc should be 2 weeks, then the next topic is X weeks, then so on. That way when these things happen, he's just following protocol and there's not so much subjectiveness. It should be criteria that the owners, NFLPA and NFL management all agree on.

12 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

I was mostly kidding with my post. But I 100% agree with what you're saying. Goodell gets $35 million guaranteed per year. That's a lot of cheese that comes from the owners' pockets. Goodell is the maestro of this NFL band. Jerry and other owners can disagree, but ultimately Goodell has final say. Jerry filing lawsuits is no different than Ezekiel Elliott asking federal courts to overrule Goodell. He's the douche-in-chief.

Edited by KareemX

NFL Accuses Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones of Damaging the League

In a letter sent Wednesday, the league escalated its feud with the prominent owner in a dispute over commissioner Roger Goodell’s contract

The NFL accused Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones of trying to sabotage its contract negotiations with commissioner Roger Goodell, calling his conduct “detrimental to the league’s best interests."

That language, included in a letter sent to Jones’s attorney on Wednesday and reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, escalates a growing conflict between the league and one of its most powerful owners. The letter says Jones’s “antics, whatever their motivation, are damaging the League.”

The tension has grown so severe that the topic of removing Jones has been discussed by at least some owners, according to three people familiar with the matter. That type of drastic action would require the league showing conduct detrimental to the league—which is exactly the language the league used in its Nov. 15 letter to Jones’s attorney, David Boies.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/nfl-accuses-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-of-damaging-the-league-1510789249