NBC Sports Edge Forums

Keon Broxton 2017 Outlook

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He either strikes out or hits a home run, there are no other possible outcomes for his at-bats.  Not sure how well that lends itself to his stolen base totals, but really, who's complaining right now?

20 hours ago, Sun Tzu said:

He either strikes out or hits a home run, there are no other possible outcomes for his at-bats.  Not sure how well that lends itself to his stolen base totals, but really, who's complaining right now?

It's pretty crazy. But at least it's coming at the right time, otherwise he would've been a regular bench player by now.

The K rate is Joey Galloean like horrific though, which still scares me about him.

Edited by swfcdan

How in gods name does Nick Franklin keep taking starts away from this guy? What the hell do they like about Franklin?

75 AB's, .173 avg / .235 obp / .488 OPS. 18 K's / 5 BB's.

883 career PA with a .215 avg / .283 OBP / .643 OPS

This guy does NOTHING. and he gets to bat 6th!? Counsell preaches that he needs guys in the lineup that are helping them win games now (hence why Sogard has been and will continue playing over Villar he said), yet he just keeps throwing away AB's in the 6-spot to this black hole. Makes absolutely no sense. #BitterMarinerFan here. Screw Nick Franklin lol

40 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

How in gods name does Nick Franklin keep taking starts away from this guy? What the hell do they like about Franklin?

75 AB's, .173 avg / .235 obp / .488 OPS. 18 K's / 5 BB's.

883 career PA with a .215 avg / .283 OBP / .643 OPS

This guy does NOTHING. and he gets to bat 6th!? Counsell preaches that he needs guys in the lineup that are helping them win games now (hence why Sogard has been and will continue playing over Villar he said), yet he just keeps throwing away AB's in the 6-spot to this black hole. Makes absolutely no sense. #BitterMarinerFan here. Screw Nick Franklin lol

Well, it may have to do with the fact that Broxton has started eight straight games and is facing a righty tonight in Kuhl who shows pretty significant splits vs. right-handed batters.  Probably just a breather...

56 minutes ago, Sun Tzu said:

Well, it may have to do with the fact that Broxton has started eight straight games and is facing a righty tonight in Kuhl who shows pretty significant splits vs. right-handed batters.  Probably just a breather...

Just for anybody but Nick Franklin. lol

Broxton FYI has .235 avg, .755 OPS vs RHP, and .237 avg .800 OPS vs LHP. .785 OPS at home, .745 OPS on the road. He's pretty much an even splits player. Not a platoon guy. He's also riding a 5-game hitting streak.

Edited by Mexi1024
40 minutes ago, Mexi1024 said:

Just for anybody but Nick Franklin. lol

Broxton FYI has .235 avg, .755 OPS vs RHP, and .237 avg .800 OPS vs LHP. .785 OPS at home, .745 OPS on the road. He's pretty much an even splits player. Not a platoon guy. He's also riding a 5-game hitting streak.

Last year he hit righties to the tune of a .210 average and a .694 OPS. He appears to be much better against lefties.  It's early in his career but the jury is still out on this I think.  I'm still thinking it's just a breather though but worth monitoring.

Just now, codyodea said:

Last year he hit righties to the tune of a .210 average and a .694 OPS. He appears to be much better against lefties.  It's early in his career but the jury is still out on this I think.  I'm still thinking it's just a breather though but worth monitoring.

I know it's only going to be one game. I guess I just absolutely hate Nick Franklin and have no idea why he has to be getting regular AB's off the bench.

22 hours ago, mtw02 said:

Looks like he hasn't even ATTEMPTED an SB in almost a month.  Despite his awful OBP, this is an odd change in approach, no?  

from your lips to god's ear.

On 6/18/2017 at 0:29 AM, Sun Tzu said:

Thoughts on k-Brox? It really is pretty crazy what he's doing right now, it's Joey Galloean without the walks. 

He's swinging for the rooftops each time up and hope he connects once a game. This approach simply isn't sustainable, I really think he isn't going to be a long term option for them. With his speed he should be focusing on getting on base, but he does anything but that, terrible terrible approach holding back some great tools.

on quite a power tear right now.

The k-rate is still comical, but he hasn't struck out 2 or more times in five games or so, which is a miracle for him. He's also walking more this last week. 

small flukish stretch, or an adjustment? Time will tell.

He's been floating on my waivers for a few weeks, and the power/speed offering makes him a tempting add... but at the same time, in an OBP league he is pretty brutal-- unless this recent stretch is indicative of some kind of growth.

17 hours ago, borindia said:

If he sticks at leadoff is he a must add?

He shouldn't be on the wire in any roto league.  In points the Ks probably limit the upside, but I don't care where he is in the lineup as long as he's in it.

17 hours ago, IceGoat said:

Only two players have at least 13 home runs and 13 steals: Paul Goldschmidt and Keon Broxton. 

Ha nice to see. There really are few true power/speed threats this year, which makes Keon golddust.

He's playing like how he did down the stretch last year, then came his terrible April this year. Now lets see if he can avoid those prolongued slumps going forward, his K's are down lately which is a great sign if he can keep that up (down?).

1 minute ago, borindia said:

They need to let this guy hit leadoff more often.

His .317 OBP vs. Sogard's .462 says not really.  We all know Sogard isn't a true talent .400+ OBP, but as long as he's getting that job done, Counsell is right to put Broxton down in the lineup.  I can't see the logic for putting Pina ahead of him, but with Braun back, I'm just happy Broxton's still in the lineup.

On 6/27/2017 at 10:10 PM, tonycpsu said:

His .317 OBP vs. Sogard's .462 says not really.  We all know Sogard isn't a true talent .400+ OBP, but as long as he's getting that job done, Counsell is right to put Broxton down in the lineup.  I can't see the logic for putting Pina ahead of him, but with Braun back, I'm just happy Broxton's still in the lineup.

Brox has been in the lineup even throughout his slumps, Brinson's call got us nervous but luckily he heated up considerably to stave him off. Shows they don't just see K-Brox as a fil in until Brinson's ready, he is part of their now and future plans and Brinson is the one on the outside looking in. Broxton is doing exactly people want from Brinson.

As for lineup position, where exactly is he hitting now?