NBC Sports Edge Forums

Starling Marte 2017 Outlook

8 hours ago, mtblock said:

When do you think he starts his "rehab assignment". I don't know what they call it or allow for when you're coming back from suspension, but I imagine he'll play for a week or so before coming up.

He is eligible to go on a minor league rehab assignment 15 days before being eligible to return. 

In what kind of 12 team leagues was he dropped??? That seems crazy to me - I drafted and held in a 12 team mixed (10 bench, no DL) he would have been picked up in my league within minutes of a drop. 

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, mudrummer said:

He is eligible to go on a minor league rehab assignment 15 days before being eligible to return. 

In what kind of 12 team leagues was he dropped??? That seems crazy to me - I drafted and held in a 12 team mixed (10 bench, no DL) he would have been picked up in my league within minutes of a drop. 

Thats a huge bench, he needs a NA slot not DL, and he's not very good in points leagues. 

16 minutes ago, Stutin said:

Just scooped him up before anyone else could. Sitting comfy in first for now, so i can lose a bench spot for a month

What is his exact date he is allowed back?

First day eligible is July 18. I'm in the same boat with you. In first and riding the suspension out!

1 hour ago, Stutin said:

Just scooped him up before anyone else could. Sitting comfy in first for now, so i can lose a bench spot for a month

What is his exact date he is allowed back?

July 18.  Only missing about 2 more weeks when you factor ASB.

I think Marte is a really strong sell in the week prior to returning. A lot of owners are familiar with him as a 2nd/3rd rounder and I think there will be buyers looking for high upside. 

What shocked me today was looking at Gregory Polanco's RBI total. Polanco has played 55 games batting 3rd/4th (212 ABs) and only 16 RBI total in those lineup spots. 

Let me repeat because this blows my mind: the Pirates' #3/4 hitter is on pace to hit about 45 RBI this season. 

Now obviously Marte isn't going to bat .240 like Polanco - more likely around .300 +/- 10 points - but the power totals (12-13 HR pace) should be roughly the same, creating difficulties in plating runner. And yes, the Pirates offense has been better recently, but I am very, very concerned about that dismal roster. 

Marte has the potential to be such a liability in 3 categories that it prevents him from being Top 50 despite elite in the other two. 

1 hour ago, Rainyy said:

I think Marte is a really strong sell in the week prior to returning. A lot of owners are familiar with him as a 2nd/3rd rounder and I think there will be buyers looking for high upside. 

What shocked me today was looking at Gregory Polanco's RBI total. Polanco has played 55 games batting 3rd/4th (212 ABs) and only 16 RBI total in those lineup spots. 

Let me repeat because this blows my mind: the Pirates' #3/4 hitter is on pace to hit about 45 RBI this season. 

Now obviously Marte isn't going to bat .240 like Polanco - more likely around .300 +/- 10 points - but the power totals (12-13 HR pace) should be roughly the same, creating difficulties in plating runner. And yes, the Pirates offense has been better recently, but I am very, very concerned about that dismal roster. 

Marte has the potential to be such a liability in 3 categories that it prevents him from being Top 50 despite elite in the other two. 

While I don't completely disagree, isn't it worth considering the absence of Marte in the lineup is a big factor in your argument?  

Marte at 1/2 in the lineup, leads to more RBI opportunities for the 3/4 hitter, or that the Pirates might not even have Gregory Polanco hitting 3/4 at all.

I do think it's a little too optimistic to expect a guy come back from a suspension this long and just rake like he never missed a game.  Certainly, if you can get someone with maybe a bit less upside that eliminates this "risk" from your mind, then great.  

Personally I need the avg and steals more than anything, and I'm probably much less risk-averse than most.  It's not as if I'm going to be able to package him with some throw-in to land Trea Turner or the like, so the thought of trading him just because the Pirates run production has been trash (without Marte, and with Cutch being garbage for half of this time) is a pretty hard sell to me.

54 minutes ago, Spectrum said:

While I don't completely disagree, isn't it worth considering the absence of Marte in the lineup is a big factor in your argument?  

Marte at 1/2 in the lineup, leads to more RBI opportunities for the 3/4 hitter, or that the Pirates might not even have Gregory Polanco hitting 3/4 at all.

I do think it's a little too optimistic to expect a guy come back from a suspension this long and just rake like he never missed a game.  Certainly, if you can get someone with maybe a bit less upside that eliminates this "risk" from your mind, then great.  

Personally I need the avg and steals more than anything, and I'm probably much less risk-averse than most.  It's not as if I'm going to be able to package him with some throw-in to land Trea Turner or the like, so the thought of trading him just because the Pirates run production has been trash (without Marte, and with Cutch being garbage for half of this time) is a pretty hard sell to me.

The problem hasn't been lack of chances its simply been Polanco has been garbage. Polancos RBI total isn't a reflection of the Pirates offense. Polanco has been one of the worst hitters in the MLB this year, so his RBI total is low. I wouldnt expect Marte's to be low 

1 hour ago, psquale said:

Shout out to everyone here who lost Turner but picked up Marte!

God I was considering trading Marte earlier today for a power bat but I guess that option is out the window now. Thank god I grabbed Marte when I did. Very similar fantasy players.

7 minutes ago, Heisenberg90 said:

Is anyone else concerned that there might be a serious regression since he won't be cheating anymore?

Not really.  We don't know the causal relationship between his previous performance and cheating.  I am more concerned with rust but he should shake that off after a couple weeks.

On 7/4/2017 at 0:17 PM, Heisenberg90 said:

Is anyone else concerned that there might be a serious regression since he won't be cheating anymore?

Absolutely but I'm not putting all my eggs in the basket with him. If he does well, great, if not I have other players to count on. He was free off the WW after some other dope dropped him. 

I would love some thoughts on Starling Marte  1st day on here so I appoligize if I'm in the wrong fourum. My team is slumping bad and I need a spark. 1st of all I drafted Marte and was really looking forward  to having him on my team. IMO Marte is the best option on waivers. The only reason he's available is we don't have bench player's. At the same time I don't want to pick up a playing who isn't playing. 

Thoughts on coming back up to speed. Do you think he'll half a second half comparable to those when he's on the top of his game. 

Edited by BigBennBino
39 minutes ago, BigBennBino said:

I would love some thoughts on Starling Marte  1st day on here so I appoligize if I'm in the wrong fourum. My team is slumping bad and I need a spark. 1st of all I drafted Marte and was really looking forward  to having him on my team. IMO Marte is the best option on waivers. The only reason he's available is we don't have bench player's. At the same time I don't want to pick up a playing who isn't playing. 

Thoughts on coming back up to speed. Do you think he'll half a second half comparable to those when he's on the top of his game. 

Who knows how he will fare minus PEDs but I picked him up recently. Where else can you find 3rd round potential on the waiver wire? 

29 minutes ago, Ace_King said:

I picked him up recently. Where else can you find 3rd round potential on the waiver wire? 

You certainly can't find it in competitive leagues.