Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Starling Marte 2017 Outlook


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

You certainly can't find it in competitive leagues. 

 

The guy specifically mentioned his league didn't have bench spots.  Not sure how "competitive" you'd be with a wasted roster spot for 80 days.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Sternes said:

As someone who doesn't really follow him or the team, is there any PT problems when he gets back?  Could he be traded? (Can you even trade a suspended player?)

 

 

If McCutchen is traded then there is 0 playing time issues. If he's not, Marte *might* get rested more than usual with Frazier/Osuna all looking for AB's. I kind of doubt it though 

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

 

 

If McCutchen is traded then there is 0 playing time issues. If he's not, Marte *might* get rested more than usual with Frazier/Osuna all looking for AB's. I kind of doubt it though 

Polanco has also been pretty bad so he might be the one that's more likely to get rotated

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mpbaseball22 said:

 

 

If McCutchen is traded then there is 0 playing time issues. If he's not, Marte *might* get rested more than usual with Frazier/Osuna all looking for AB's. I kind of doubt it though 

 

Starling Marte is an established star/4-5 win player/one of the best outfielders in the national league. No way is he losing playing time to Adam Frazier and/or Jose Osuna.

 

Edited by EmbargoLifted
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EmbargoLifted said:

 

Starling Marte is an established star/4-5 win player/and one of the best outfielders in the national league. No way is he losing playing time to Adam Frazier and/or Jose Osuna.

 

 

With him being ineligible for the playoffs, I think it's at least something to think about. But like @Hound75 said Polanco would also lose playing time especially with his injury issues. 

 

Im not talking significant time, just *maybe* more than people would expect 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

 

 

With him being ineligible for the playoffs, I think it's at least something to think about. But like @Hound75 said Polanco would also lose playing time especially with his injury issues. 

 

Im not talking significant time, just *maybe* more than people would expect 

 

The entire Pirates organization is ineligible for playoffs as of right now.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Which thing do you think won't happen? Marte won't play or he won't be traded? He's going to play. He is too valuable for the Pirates not to get him back in the lineup. Won't be traded? That's a tougher call, but it is possible, especially if he plays well upon returning and rebuilds some value. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Lol wtf why do people think he won't play? He was an every day player before he got suspended. He's been an every day player since he's been a Pirate...

rotoworld update over a week ago said he's playing left field when he comes back

 

I think it's just sour grapes from people who were slow on the trigger to roster him in their leagues

 

Dee Gordon has returned this year using his skills and Marte has way more power and is a better pure hitter

 

I don't understand the fear

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

rotoworld update over a week ago said he's playing left field when he comes back

 

I think it's just sour grapes from people who were slow on the trigger to roster him in their leagues

 

Dee Gordon has returned this year using his skills and Marte has way more power and is a better pure hitter

 

I don't understand the fear

Dee Gordon after his suspension was abysmal. Just saying, its a worrying factor 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Dee Gordon after his suspension was abysmal. Just saying, its a worrying factor 

Yea, I am going to have to take a wait-and-see approach myself at least for the first week or so.  In a weekly, he's not startable until the week after next anyway so hope he comes back and performs such that it is an easy decision this time next week.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

rotoworld update over a week ago said he's playing left field when he comes back

 

I think it's just sour grapes from people who were slow on the trigger to roster him in their leagues

 

Dee Gordon has returned this year using his skills and Marte has way more power and is a better pure hitter

 

I don't understand the fear

marte doesn't have much power at all...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

marte doesn't have much power at all...

 

 

15 HR compared to 3 is much more.   .446 SLG compared to .363 career SLG is much more power

Edited by rich22
Link to post
Share on other sites

What actual motivation will Marte have though? The Pittsburgh Pirates aren't going anywhere and even if they make a run and make the playoffs, he can't even contribute there. Kind of  hard to trust 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

 

Players have to function in such situations all the time. Marte's motivation is simple. He wants to prove himself when he knows that the PED bust creates doubt about his past production. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Piotr said:

Players have to function in such situations all the time. Marte's motivation is simple. He wants to prove himself when he knows that the PED bust creates doubt about his past production. 

Easier said than done 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You asked what Marte's motivation will be. I explained it to you. You are certainly welcome to doubt Marte's ability to succeed, but there is little question that Marte will have motivation upon his return regardless of the Pirates' disaster of a season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...