NBC Sports Edge Forums

Starling Marte 2017 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

You certainly can't find it in competitive leagues. 

The guy specifically mentioned his league didn't have bench spots.  Not sure how "competitive" you'd be with a wasted roster spot for 80 days.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Sternes said:

As someone who doesn't really follow him or the team, is there any PT problems when he gets back?  Could he be traded? (Can you even trade a suspended player?)

If McCutchen is traded then there is 0 playing time issues. If he's not, Marte *might* get rested more than usual with Frazier/Osuna all looking for AB's. I kind of doubt it though 

50 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

If McCutchen is traded then there is 0 playing time issues. If he's not, Marte *might* get rested more than usual with Frazier/Osuna all looking for AB's. I kind of doubt it though 

Polanco has also been pretty bad so he might be the one that's more likely to get rotated

1 hour ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Starling Marte is an established star/4-5 win player/one of the best outfielders in the national league. No way is he losing playing time to Adam Frazier and/or Jose Osuna.

Edited by EmbargoLifted
Just now, EmbargoLifted said:

Starling Marte is an established star/4-5 win player/and one of the best outfielders in the national league. No way is he losing playing time to Adam Frazier and/or Jose Osuna.

With him being ineligible for the playoffs, I think it's at least something to think about. But like @Hound75 said Polanco would also lose playing time especially with his injury issues. 

Im not talking significant time, just *maybe* more than people would expect 

19 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

With him being ineligible for the playoffs, I think it's at least something to think about. But like @Hound75 said Polanco would also lose playing time especially with his injury issues. 

Im not talking significant time, just *maybe* more than people would expect 

The entire Pirates organization is ineligible for playoffs as of right now.  

Which thing do you think won't happen? Marte won't play or he won't be traded? He's going to play. He is too valuable for the Pirates not to get him back in the lineup. Won't be traded? That's a tougher call, but it is possible, especially if he plays well upon returning and rebuilds some value. 

13 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Lol wtf why do people think he won't play? He was an every day player before he got suspended. He's been an every day player since he's been a Pirate...

rotoworld update over a week ago said he's playing left field when he comes back

I think it's just sour grapes from people who were slow on the trigger to roster him in their leagues

Dee Gordon has returned this year using his skills and Marte has way more power and is a better pure hitter

I don't understand the fear

Edited by XxxOilOverloadxxX
12 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

rotoworld update over a week ago said he's playing left field when he comes back

I think it's just sour grapes from people who were slow on the trigger to roster him in their leagues

Dee Gordon has returned this year using his skills and Marte has way more power and is a better pure hitter

Dee Gordon after his suspension was abysmal. Just saying, its a worrying factor 

15 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Dee Gordon after his suspension was abysmal. Just saying, its a worrying factor 

Yea, I am going to have to take a wait-and-see approach myself at least for the first week or so.  In a weekly, he's not startable until the week after next anyway so hope he comes back and performs such that it is an easy decision this time next week.  

12 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

marte doesn't have much power at all...

11 minutes ago, cdd10 said:

marte doesn't have much power at all...

15 HR compared to 3 is much more.   .446 SLG compared to .363 career SLG is much more power

Edited by rich22

What actual motivation will Marte have though? The Pittsburgh Pirates aren't going anywhere and even if they make a run and make the playoffs, he can't even contribute there. Kind of  hard to trust 

Players have to function in such situations all the time. Marte's motivation is simple. He wants to prove himself when he knows that the PED bust creates doubt about his past production. 

1 minute ago, Piotr said:

Players have to function in such situations all the time. Marte's motivation is simple. He wants to prove himself when he knows that the PED bust creates doubt about his past production. 

Easier said than done 

You asked what Marte's motivation will be. I explained it to you. You are certainly welcome to doubt Marte's ability to succeed, but there is little question that Marte will have motivation upon his return regardless of the Pirates' disaster of a season.