NBC Sports Edge Forums

Starling Marte 2017 Outlook

just visualize waking up, opening you league app, and seeing that Marte has been added by someone. Whatever feeling you get is the answer to "when to pick him up" questions. If you are angry over it then pick him up now, just figure out a way. If you're indifferent over it then keep playing chicken with your league. I've been holding this whole time.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Eddy24 said:

just visualize waking up, opening you league app, and seeing that Marte has been added by someone. Whatever feeling you get is the answer to "when to pick him up" questions. If you are angry over it then pick him up now, just figure out a way. If you're indifferent over it then keep playing chicken with your league. I've been holding this whole time.

It's a no for me, I can't believe you've been holding him this whole time.  Unless you're undefeated with a huge bench.  He's just not that valuable.  Unlike say, a Pollock, etc.

25 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

It's a no for me, I can't believe you've been holding him this whole time.  Unless you're undefeated with a huge bench.  He's just not that valuable.  Unlike say, a Pollock, etc.

Steals are always valuable in roto leauges. I think he's overrated and I'd never draft the dude, but when I can get him for free that's a different story lol

3 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I dont know what league someone could be rostering this guy still

especially with the wave of injuries this year...a lot of people don't even have enough DL slots and are rostering injured people

Keeper league. Same principle though. I don't want someone else to grab him. So every time I need a roster space I make a 2:1 or 3:2 type deal or just drop someone I like less. This year though it's often just putting someone on the DL.

Edited by Eddy24
3 hours ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

I dont know what league someone could be rostering this guy still

especially with the wave of injuries this year...a lot of people don't even have enough DL slots and are rostering injured people

He's remained owned in all 6 of my Fantrax leagues (12 teams, 5 starting OF slots, 8 bench spots). I have 0 shares but if I had him I would've easily kept him. Had he been dropped I would've used a waiver to get him. Not everyone plays in 10 team, 3 OF leagues.

4 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

Very confused by this post.  A top 25 player is plenty valuable.  Hard to justify NOT rostering him at this point, with only roughly a month of suspension time remaining.

5 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

That's just asinine, especially with the scarcity of steals. 

Now, that said, your league settings may make it such that he's not very valuable (fantasy point, shallow outfield/benches, small league), but in a 12 team H2H 5x5 league, he's extremely valuable. In a 10 team 3 OF 1 util points league? Depending on scoring, he could be very vanilla. 

52 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Very confused by this post.  A top 25 player is plenty valuable.  Hard to justify NOT rostering him at this point, with only roughly a month of suspension time remaining.

Plays on a bad a team, has a cloud around him from this PED stuff, doesn't have much of a power stroke, has a hard time staying on the field (played 150+ games once - in 2015), and isn't a .300 hitter. Yeah, OK, he's probably a safe bet for 20SB from here on out, but to call this guy a top 25 talent is silly. He's been ranked there, but he isn't that good. Top 25 OF, sure. Top 25 overall, get outta here.

He hit .311 last season, and is a career .290 hitter, so he might not be a career .300 hitter, but he certainly is very close to one if he's not (and he's shown he can do it).  He also had 19 HR in 2015 with 30 SB, and 47 SB in 2016, so if he could put that all together and hit .300+ with 15-20 HR and 45+ SB (or play at that pace ROS) then he's definitely a top 25 player.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he is or he will be, but he certainly has the talent and tools (and prime age) to put it together and be a top 25 ROS once he comes back.

Really baffeling how a 2nd-3rd round pick is available In any format regardless of DL situations etc. Marte has the potential to be a league winner once he comes back and you can get that for free. He is due back in about 6 weeks so it's just puzzling to me. People bring up that they have too many Injured guys so you know what, just treat Marte like he's injured and just hold tight for the fun ride once he's back.  Again, I'm smh at all the "should I pick up this dude now" or "I can't hold this dude because of injuries".  

52 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Really baffeling how a 2nd-3rd round pick is available In any format regardless of DL situations etc. Marte has the potential to be a league winner once he comes back and you can get that for free. He is due back in about 6 weeks so it's just puzzling to me. People bring up that they have too many Injured guys so you know what, just treat Marte like he's injured and just hold tight for the fun ride once he's back.  Again, I'm smh at all the "should I pick up this dude now" or "I can't hold this dude because of injuries".  

Well according to Yahoo, still only 51% owned and no change last week so still plenty on doubt surrounding him. I'm sure percent owned in the next few weeks will start to rise. I have an open spot now so just debating on adding him or streaming a SP this week.

1 minute ago, wahoos1 said:

Well according to Yahoo, still only 51% owned and no change last week so still plenty on doubt surrounding him. I'm sure percent owned in the next few weeks will start to rise. I have an open spot now so just debating on adding him or streaming a SP this week.

Potential league winner or streamer, hmmmm...

thinking winnie the pooh brainstorm GIF

Honestly, I'm not sold on how effective he will be when he returns. 

His plate discipline has never been good.

He hit just 9 HR last year.

His R and RBI totals have never been that great. 

And now he's not on PEDs... 

He'll bring you SB, but outside of that it's not like he's going to "win your league"...

If PEDs were really helping, his return could be diminished. I'm pessimistic. 

7 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

He'll bring you SB, but outside of that it's not like he's going to "win your league"...

He was #3 in MLB in 2016 in SB, and had a .362 OBP.  Speed is long gone on most WW's, so I would target him for that alone (a guy that steals at a 40-50 SB pace can win you the category some weeks on his own).  Any HR/RBI he gets on top of that is just gravy IMO.

8 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

He was #3 in MLB in 2016 in SB, and had a .362 OBP.  Speed is long gone on most WW's, so I would target him for that alone (a guy that steals at a 40-50 SB pace can win you the category some weeks on his own).  Any HR/RBI he gets on top of that is just gravy IMO.

Career .344 OBP, last year was a career year for OBP and it was the result of a .380 BABIP. He doesn't walk, career 4.7% BB... I think you would be hard pressed to expect him to repeat that .362.

If you read through the posts here there is talk of him being a monster and winning leagues upon return... I'm just pouring some cold water on that and suggesting maybe it's more realistic to expect SB but don't expect much more, like 2015 Marte. (For the most part you seem to be in the same ballpark, SB and everything else is gravy).

49 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Exactly.  He hurts you on HRs, RBI, most likely runs this year.  You are giving up a lot to get those steals.

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Braun and Melky did just fine after returning from PED suspensions. There's more evidence that the gains last in the short term than drop off.

7 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Honestly though, I'm wondering if I should have just grabbed Mallex or Maybin rather than sit on a guy for a month who is probably gonna put up similar production...

ha.... you arent going to get similar production

some of these post are pretty funny

go look at the stats your util players are giving you then go look at what marte will give you

36 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Exactly.  He hurts you on HRs, RBI, most likely runs this year.  You are giving up a lot to get those steals.

this is just wrong

your not going to have an entire lineup of players that will contribute in all 5+ hitting categories

24 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Honestly though, I'm wondering if I should have just grabbed Mallex or Maybin rather than sit on a guy for a month who is probably gonna put up similar production...

Why not grab all 3??.. I have owned Marte for awhile and scooped up Maybin and Mallex in recent days.. Corner the marker if you must.. 

Edited by chud12
8 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Why not grab all 3??.. I have owned Marte for awhile and scooped up Maybin and Mallex in recent days.. Corner the marker if you must.. 

Didn't have room. Was hoping Trea Turner could hold me over until Marte gets back