NBC Sports Edge Forums

Danny Salazar 2017 Outlook

What do people think of Danny? He paid off big in 2015 but obviously did not take a step forward last year like many of us hoped. His strikeouts were still there, and he potentially struggled to his injuries, which he missed time for. 

Are people drafting him as a #2 guy, or are there too many red flags?

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He just walks too many batters.  Was it a result of an injury plagued year throwing his control off?  

You know it's kind of interesting but Corey Kluber's walk rate spiked somewhat last year as well.  It's just not looked at much as he had a much better year.  Maybe there's something going on with the catching situation.

I think people are sleeping on Salazar. He's a risky pick, but for the first half of the season he was putting up ace stats. I think his fading down the stretch had more to do with injury than anything else. I'd feel good with him as a SP2 if I had a dependable ace.

6 hours ago, bigpapi88 said:

I think people are sleeping on Salazar. He's a risky pick, but for the first half of the season he was putting up ace stats. I think his fading down the stretch had more to do with injury than anything else. I'd feel good with him as a SP2 if I had a dependable ace.

I had Sally in my main league last year, so I watched him closely.

Though the first half ERA was nice, he walked 46 batters in just over 100 innings  That's just not going to cut it.  Because of the strikeouts, I can't believe their was some undisclosed first half injury causing control problems.

I just won't touch him this year unless I can get a great price which you usually don't get with pitchers with high K's and on playoff teams.

I also remember watching his games and seeing just how often he would throw high strikes, trying to get batters to chase.  Not trusting his stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2017 at 6:14 PM, KingJoffrey said:

I just won't touch him this year unless I can get a great price which you usually don't get with pitchers with high K's and on playoff teams.

He is currently still on the board in the 16th round in my 10 team 5x5 slow draft. 42 SP's have been drafted before him. Cheap enough for ya? I don't want him on my team either, but if he falls any further I don't think I can pass him up.

25 minutes ago, SwayzeExpress said:

He is currently still on the board in the 16th round in my 10 team 5x5 slow draft. 42 SP's have been drafted before him. Cheap enough for ya? I don't want him on my team either, but if he falls any further I don't think I can pass him up.

You have to take him at 42, yes.  I view him as a SP 3 or SP 4 if you want to be really safe.  Now into SP 5 range he is a no brainer, especially in a smaller league like this.

1 hour ago, SwayzeExpress said:

At that point I would probably take him.

His ADP is ~ 100.  Seems about right.   I just think there are better options at that point in drafts.

2 hours ago, SwayzeExpress said:

My mistake guys, he was taken at 115 and I completely missed him. 

• 2 weeks later...

Early Spring notes so obviously grain of salt disclaimer here but boy did Salazar look GOOOOOODDDD today. Not A-list Cubs lineup by any stretch but he obliterated three hitters in two innings on changeups and it looked filthy. One walk and it wasn't wild and it was the first AB of the game. Gave up one hit to Eloy Jimenez and it was a sharp seeing eye grounder between 3B/SS and he definitely missed location up but Eloy made a swing that impressed the HELL out of me on it so much so that in a bit i'm gonna go post about that too. 

About as good as he can look. 

Just finished post and I hear a coach presumably the PC say "the best I've ever seen him look at this point." 

Edited by taobball
16 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Anyone else using MLB At Bat? I noticed that hardly any of the games are updating. Still shows that it's the bottom of the 2nd inning with 2 outs for the Cubs vs Indians game. Same with a few other games.

I'm preetty deep on delay on mlb.tv because of doing things and posting I don't wanna miss too much but I'm still in the btm 3rd now I think the games probably close to the 5th. Don't know where you are now, but even when I posted I was delayed.

Look I'm not saying that me or especially this site is infallible but I go back to the MLB main page and see

If the Tribe are to take the next step, Danny Salazar -- who was sharp -- is key.

this.

My take since Ididn't think it'd be controversial: He threw 5 FBs to Heyward in his first AB in live action of the year. He missed with four of them, but none badly. Just sliding off the corners up and away. He gave up one hit to Eloy Jimenez. It missed location a bit in, but Eloy showed insane wrists to even get the ball on the ground towards the left side of the infield. Other than that he was pretty much flawless. The announcers were stoked because he started off one guy with a curve and the dude flailed at it, which showing faith in that non FB/CH is something Salazar can improve on, and I believe in general when it's on Salzar's change-up is one of the filthiest pitches in the entire sport and he faced 7 batters and he struck 3 of them out with that change-up and by my count generated 4 whiffs. Were they elite  competition or even average MLB levle? No. Jeimer Candelairo is one and he missed two in three pitches but he is talented. And besides the point, movement and break is movement and break. And those Change-ups were freaking great. 

'Poligies for the trip post here, but courtesy of @Coach George from eloy's thread, this is the only hit Salazar gave up today. Not a good quality vid, but Eloy getting the bat on that was incredibly impressive. Salazar gave up one impressive single to an incredibly TALENTED hitter (not necessarily "good" in the polished sense of the word" and his change was untouchable.

Edited by taobball
On 2/26/2017 at 1:01 PM, taobball said:

Just finished post and I hear a coach presumably the PC say "the best I've ever seen him look at this point." 

This is the part that didn't make sense and what i was referencing. (what the coach said, not what taoball said).

Coach quote just didnt seem to match up with the report tao gave. I mean Salazar's stuff almost always looks electric. Its poor location leading to walks and hard hit balls tht does him in more often than not, and thats exactly what tao described.

6 hours ago, cs3 said:

This is the part that didn't make sense and what i was referencing. (what the coach said, not what taoball said).

Coach quote just didnt seem to match up with the report tao gave. I mean Salazar's stuff almost always looks electric. Its poor location leading to walks and hard hit balls tht does him in more often than not, and thats exactly what tao described.

I think you're missing the "at this point" part of the coach's comment. It was his first start of spring training... of course he wasn't in mid-season form, but compared to previous Spring Trainings, it was the best he's looked -- at this point, meaning first time facing live batters. 

6 hours ago, cs3 said:

But like... do you expect perfection? I mean, yeah, he missed a couple locations. A ton of good pitchers with great stuff miss location SOMETIMES, as long as he's not walking the park or giving up homers every inning it's not the biggest deal really... 7 Batters faced, 1 BB, 3 Ks, 1 Ground ball single. The walk was against his first batter in live action of the year... I mean... Salazar's been the most impressive STARTER I think I've watched this year, solely because of the way he destroyed some hitters with that change. 

1 minute ago, cs3 said:

Sounds like typical spring hyperbole to be honest

I mean, if that's your thoughts on it that's fine. To me, a pitcher returning from an injury and looking very crisp is a very positive early sign. I did introduce is with saying that you could take it with a grain of salt, no? I'm not saying it has to mean something to you, and if I had a draft today I wouldn't do anyting actionable, but it makes me more confident in the pick if I have to make it, even ever so slightly, and if he continues to look good and throughout maybe I do move him up. 

On 2/26/2017 at 5:50 PM, taobball said:

'Poligies for the trip post here, but courtesy of @Coach George from eloy's thread, this is the only hit Salazar gave up today. Not a good quality vid, but Eloy getting the bat on that was incredibly impressive. Salazar gave up one impressive single to an incredibly TALENTED hitter (not necessarily "good" in the polished sense of the word" and his change was untouchable.

Shades of Miggy with that swing...he's gonna be a good one. 

47 minutes ago, cs3 said:

Tao, i meant typical spring coach speak. Wasn't referring you what you wrote as hyperbole

I mean yeah I definitely don't disagree that that's coach speak I just actually think he earned it in this specific scenario