Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Danny Salazar 2017 Outlook


BeantownBashers
 Share

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Eddy24 said:

 

that's why you make it so that the deal is not centered around him. He's the piece that helps bridge a perceived gap. Find the owners who are rebuilding and willing to take a low-risk chance on a young SP with some name value still. Then make a 3 for 2 type deal where Salazar is your 3rd piece, not the two main pieces. 

 

I guess.  Or you could just drop him.  At this point, he's schlock and just throwing in schlock into an offer doesn't always work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing happened to Carrasco a few years ago. He was terrible as a starter so they moved him to the pen where he dominated. After figuring things out they moved him back to the rotation and he has been money ever since. Perhaps this is all Salazar needs. His stuff should be amazing out of the pen so this could be a confidence building strategy as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please guys, don't suck me back in.  I don't normally rage drop but I did it in two leagues last week with Danny boy.  There is a good chance he salvages the season but he's ruined too many evenings for me this year.   Take your fast car and keep on driving.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Osu1456 said:

Same thing happened to Carrasco a few years ago. He was terrible as a starter so they moved him to the pen where he dominated. After figuring things out they moved him back to the rotation and he has been money ever since. Perhaps this is all Salazar needs. His stuff should be amazing out of the pen so this could be a confidence building strategy as well.

 

The thing with Salazar is that he has 1.5 pitches. It has worked for him for stretches, but it's hard to gamble on 1.5 pitches if you had to put down some money on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Topgun said:

IMO, he would be a great closer/set-up man, but I also believe he could be fixed in the bullpen, and return, and be dominate .

Interesting proposition.  He's pumping 95-96 at times in rotation.  In short sequence in relief could he touch 98-99 for <20 pitches. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rlaalsrb said:

 

The thing with Salazar is that he has 1.5 pitches. It has worked for him for stretches, but it's hard to gamble on 1.5 pitches if you had to put down some money on it.

 

Everyone agrees that his changeup is plus. His curve is average but has potential to be good and his slider is not good but he still gets whiffs on it somehow. I believe his fastball is plus as well, but some people think the opposite. His main problems right now are command and the home runs. If he can keep the ball down and limit the walks back to 2013-2015 levels then he is one of the better starters in baseball. The pure stuff isn't the problem. The problem is he can't control it right now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Evincar said:

Cleveland needs him as a starter so this is just a temporary thing.

Do they though?  They just made WS without him.  Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Clevinger, Tomlin.  Seems like a solid to above average 1-5 to me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Interesting proposition.  He's pumping 95-96 at times in rotation.  In short sequence in relief could he touch 98-99 for <20 pitches. 

 

He was touching 100 mph in 2013 and can still hit 98 at times as a starter so this should be expected.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Do they though?  They just made WS without him.  Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Clevinger, Tomlin.  Seems like a solid to above average 1-5 to me.

 

I would bet we see Tito start to try out the approach he used in the WS into regular season at some point leaning heavily on the pen and only counting on starters for 5 innings max.  After Carrasco that rotation falls of precipitously.  Bauer's been hot garbage, Clevinger is living on a prayer with his poor windup mechanics, and Tomlin has not capitalized on his strong play during playoffs/WS.  If you can turn Danny into a fireman a la Miller, things get scary unpredictable for opposing bats.  

 

Of course this screws fantasy owners, but Tito's paid to win games, not fantasy titles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Do they though?  They just made WS without him.  Kluber, Carrasco, Bauer, Clevinger, Tomlin.  Seems like a solid to above average 1-5 to me.

 

Well Salazar being #3 starter pushes Bauer and Tomlin down in the rotation (where they belong). Not sure if Clevinger will stay in the rotation, though he is better than Tomlin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, codyodea said:

Please guys, don't suck me back in.  I don't normally rage drop but I did it in two leagues last week with Danny boy.  There is a good chance he salvages the season but he's ruined too many evenings for me this year.   Take your fast car and keep on driving.  

wasnt part of eveyrones complaints about salazar was that he sucked in the first inning?  wouldnt assume a move to the pen suddenly turns him into deverinski....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems that his problems stem from what's between his ears and not so much his stuff. Dunno if he'll ever amount to more than just a thrower though.  

 

It's what benches are for in fantasy, imo.  Not gonna dump him for some even sketchier option like Brad Peacock or Tyson Ross.  smh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Osu1456 said:

Same thing happened to Carrasco a few years ago. He was terrible as a starter so they moved him to the pen where he dominated. After figuring things out they moved him back to the rotation and he has been money ever since. Perhaps this is all Salazar needs. His stuff should be amazing out of the pen so this could be a confidence building strategy as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Single A, Double As, bullpen. This turd couldn't be " amazing" in a throw it in the ocean league! 

 

This should be renamed the leaming thread. 

Edited by malta69
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anyone considering buying low in dynasty / deep keeper formats?  Lance McCullers had many of the same command problems Salazar had early on, but he's managed to figure things out.  I know there are plenty of examples of throwers who could never harness the stuff to be effective as starters, but I'm tempted to give him a shot.  I just wish there was a bit more clarity about how much of a leash he has when he gets back into the rotation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tonycpsu said:

Anyone considering buying low in dynasty / deep keeper formats?  Lance McCullers had many of the same command problems Salazar had early on, but he's managed to figure things out.  I know there are plenty of examples of throwers who could never harness the stuff to be effective as starters, but I'm tempted to give him a shot.  I just wish there was a bit more clarity about how much of a leash he has when he gets back into the rotation.

He is not being dropped in my leagues 12 and 16 team and they are not responding to trade offers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I own him on a 12 team 5-player keeper (although he was $20, so he's not really a legit keeper option) and I'm not selling low right now.

 

Im holding for at least a month and then I will re-evaluate. That said, every league is different, so maybe the owner in your league would be more willing to sell now at a discount. Certainly doesn't hurt to try.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...