NBC Sports Edge Forums

Danny Salazar 2017 Outlook

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wouldn't be nearly as easy to own if he didn't play in front of that CLE D and have the run support of the CLE O and the ultimate fireman in Miller waiting to bail him out.  

90% of the damage done against him was in 3 pitches in the first inning (gave up a double, then back to back HRs) then shut the Mariners down like they were a single A farm team.  Take out this guys 1st innings for most of his starts this season and he's Clayton Kershaw.

On 04/29/2017 at 10:46 PM, EmbargoLifted said:

90% of the damage done against him was in 3 pitches in the first inning (gave up a double, then back to back HRs) then shut the Mariners down like they were a single A farm team.  Take out this guys 1st innings for most of his starts this season and he's Clayton Kershaw.

Really? . can you say over rated

dude is struggling to put away hitters batting .180.  he should be cruising through this kc lineup.  no damage done yet, but high pitch count through 1.2 ip so far.  guess he is who we thought he was.....

On 5/4/2017 at 10:14 AM, lbjames6 said:

His start against the Tigers got PPD. If he gets pushed back to tomorrow he gets to face off against the Royals B)

At least he got out of the 1st inning tonight! All it took was the worse offense in the league.

Just now, urban2014 said:

Is he for real? Could not go 5 innings? 

He is who he is.  It isn't going to get drastically better.  He'll give us elite ks.  He'll torch our whip.  He'll leave us questioning how it's all possible.  And in the end the key to value will be if he can get through 5 consistently enough to

qualify for wins.

1 hour ago, Random Dude said:

It's not like you drafted this guy as your ace. This is baseball and this is who Danny Salazar is. Take the 7 Ks and find something else to complain about. 

Dully noted.  I'll be happy about the 1.40 whip due to the 7 K's.  Yippee.

5 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Dully noted.  I'll be happy about the 1.40 whip due to the 7 K's.  Yippee.

I mean did you really draft him expecting a real strong Whip? He is basically performing in line with last year. We are only 5 weeks in and we know these performances happen with him. 

For where we all drafted him, he's performing fine and shows lots of upside for improvement going forward in the season. We are getting what we paid for but I know everyone who drafted him is expecting major profits. We aren't getting major profits yet because of the WHIP but I also think the sentiment is overly negative because people who drafted him are expecting so much more. 

Just now, Random Dude said:

I mean did you really draft him expecting a real strong Whip? He is basically performing in line with last year. We are only 5 weeks in and we know these performances happen with him. 

For where we all drafted him, he's performing fine and shows lots of upside for improvement going forward in the season. We are getting what we paid for but I know everyone who drafted him is expecting major profits. We aren't getting major profits yet because of the WHIP but I also think the sentiment is overly negative because people who drafted him are expecting so much more. 

I've been thoroughly disappointed.  Up until injury last year in second half he was front runner for AL Cy young.  The end line looks mediocre but during first half last year he was a stud.  In 2015 he showed signs of improved command.  Last year in first half he did as well.  Since second half last year he's been a JAG.  I could stream this production, with a little less K's.  Is it impossible to think that a

guy in his age 27 season could finally learn to actually pitch?

We drafted him fairly late though. Everything points to him being above JAG level. There's no way we get him where we did in drafts if a lot more was expected. So far, yes you could stream his ERA and WHIP but his FIP and xFIP point toward better performance. Plus we are getting even better strikeout ratios than last year. Its still early. I don't think we should be calling him an huge under performer for his draft position 

5 minutes ago, Random Dude said:

We drafted him fairly late though. Everything points to him being above JAG level. There's no way we get him where we did in drafts if a lot more was expected. So far, yes you could stream his ERA and WHIP but his FIP and xFIP point toward better performance. Plus we are getting even better strikeout ratios than last year. Its still early. I don't think we should be calling him an huge under performer for his draft position 

Can't argue most of those points.  Just can't help but think a guy with his caliber of stuff should be way above these constant <5 IP 100 Pitch debacles.  I was hoping to see some signs of growth.  

4 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Can't argue most of those points.  Just can't help but think a guy with his caliber of stuff should be way above these constant <5 IP 100 Pitch debacles.  I was hoping to see some signs of growth.  

I can't argue that either. I think we are getting close to what we paid for and are a little pissed we haven't gotten the profit we want. It's still early though. If he can stay healthy and keep doing what he has been doing, I wont be entirely pissed... But i'll definitely be disappointed. 

It's tough to predict, and there are no signs of it, but it's entirely possible that Danny finds his mechanics and control and goes on a tear at some point in the season.

He's had good control in spurts and it come pop up at any point or it may never show up at all. For what we paid for Danny, I think you have to hold on and just hope that he rises to the occasion. 

10 hours ago, Random Dude said:

Salazar went between picks 110 and 125 in all the drafts I was in.  I don't consider that fairly late.  In fact that's early to mid draft depending on the depth of your league.  Mine are 15 teamers so he's was being drafted in the 7th / 8th rounds.

Lots to like about Salazar .. FIP/XFIP/SIERA is an excellent 3.27/3.25/3.22 .. first strike percentage is way up, swinging strike percentage is way up, and contact percentage is way down.  Velocity is consistent from previous seasons. His peripherals have been excellent ... his BABIP is +.80 right now (which is negatively impacting his whip). 

i would buy low if you can. 

Edited by EmbargoLifted
20 hours ago, jb_power said:

Salazar went between picks 110 and 125 in all the drafts I was in.  I don't consider that fairly late.  In fact that's early to mid draft depending on the depth of your league.  Mine are 15 teamers so he's was being drafted in the 7th / 8th rounds.

In a 15 teamer you could do much worse than Salazar so stop complaining. Besides, most people on these forums play in 12 team leagues so Salazar has been either a bargain or just right for his draft price so far.

Edited by UberRebel