NBC Sports Edge Forums

Danny Salazar 2017 Outlook

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Seems ever since that injury he hasn't been the same. He's going to continue to suck, but come 2nd half he'll go HAM, watch.

I would be ok with this. Last year he was great in the first half and then trash and injured.

Just now, bradwatson said:

I would be ok with this. Last year he was great in the first half and then trash and injured.

Yeah it looks like the opposite this time. He's a streaky pitcher, try to hold on tight, and once he starts to find his groove - look out. 

I'm not putting any stock into tonight's outing. I stand by the fact that he was royally f*cked in the first inning on a check swing 3rd strike to Bautista. Had the call been made correctly there is no 3 run homer to start the game. He struck out the next 2 guys so he would've gotten through the first unscathed. Had he gotten through the first with no damage it would've likely been an entirely different outing for him.

And yes I know Danny is a head case and should've been able to bounce back, but he is who he is. I know what I signed up for. Eventually he'll get through the first inning and put together some quality outings. He isn't this bad.

Pretty rough giving up 5 hits and 2 walks in less than 3 IP vs the Jays' AAA lineup . . . Donaldson, Tulo, Morales, and Martin all out. 

Might be a good buy low, but not sure I want the headaches and big blow ups. 

Keep in mind this Jays lineup is without Josh Donaldson, Troy Tulowitzki, Kendrys Morales and Russell Martin.  Yeah.

1. Kevin Pillar (R) CF

2. Ezequiel Carrera (L) RF

3. Jose Bautista (R) DH

4. Justin Smoak (S) 1B

5. Steve Pearce (R) LF

6. Ryan Goins (L) SS

7. Devon Travis (R) 2B

8. Darwin Barney (R) 3B

9. Luke Maile (R) C

4 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

I'm not putting any stock into tonight's outing. I stand by the fact that he was royally f*cked in the first inning on a check swing 3rd strike to Bautista. Had the call been made correctly there is no 3 run homer to start the game. He struck out the next 2 guys so he would've gotten through the first unscathed. Had he gotten through the first with no damage it would've likely been an entirely different outing for him.

And yes I know Danny is a head case and should've been able to bounce back, but he is who he is. I know what I signed up for. Eventually he'll get through the first inning and put together some quality outings. He isn't this bad.

Come on man.  Look at this scrub a** lineup they tossed at him tonight.  He was going to get ripped to shreds regardless.  Look at his change to CARRERA.  He had no feel for any pitch.  Couldn't locate.  And as a poster above alluded to he desperately needs a third pitch.  When his fastball command is off he's worthless.  If he couldn't navigate through a Goins - Travis - Barney - Maile sandwich he isn't navigating through anyone.

1 minute ago, Cmilne23 said:

Come on man.  Look at this scrub a** lineup they tossed at him tonight.  He was going to get ripped to shreds regardless.  Look at his change to CARRERA.  He had no feel for any pitch.  Couldn't locate.  And as a poster above alluded to he desperately needs a third pitch.  When his fastball command is off he's worthless.  If he couldn't navigate through a Goins - Travis - Barney - Maile sandwich he isn't navigating through anyone.

I'm not saying he would've tossed a gem, but he would've gone deeper and potentially put together a decent start. I don't trust the guy at all right now, but he isn't as bad as he's been so far and he got screwed early on tonight.

1 minute ago, bradwatson said:

I'm not saying he would've tossed a gem, but he would've gone deeper and potentially put together a decent start. I don't trust the guy at all right now, but he isn't as bad as he's been so far and he got screwed early on tonight.

Absolutely agree with this. The Bautista call is what it is at this point. He isn't this bad but these games will happen. We know he has the talent but he is gets in his own way. His last start he only made it 4.2 innings but overall he's been ok. 

9 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

Absolutely agree with this. The Bautista call is what it is at this point. He isn't this bad but these games will happen. We know he has the talent but he is gets in his own way. His last start he only made it 4.2 innings but overall he's been ok. 

A 5.20 era and a 1.65 whip is ok?  Not sure what league you are in but nothing is ok with that.  

18 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

A 5.20 era and a 1.65 whip is ok?  Not sure what league you are in but nothing is ok with that.  

This post was my 16,666.  A sign that Danny is the devil?

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

I have to agree.  I know he's not 5.00+ or 1.60+ bad, but I'm starting to struggle in understanding why anyone is at all optimistic at this point.

If they were healthy right now, Kyle Kendrick II would be a lock for long relief/aaa demotion. 

This is is the worst starting pitcher in the AL Central now that Gibson was sent down. 

I mean who knows maybe this is just a lost season for him, maybe he will never put it together, but the fact of the matter is someone who has flashed his ability on the field is someone ya gotta have faith in. After the injury he's never been the same. It's going to take more time than this. He's still fairly young. Backed by a great offense and (should be) defense + closers. 

Buy-low.

Edited by ZChronicNebula
2 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

before tonight's game his ERA was 4.28 so it went up almost a full point. His whip was 1.48 or something close to that. 

His game logs:

April 5th - 5.2 innings, 5 hits , 4 ER's, 4 walks, 9 K's, ND

April 12th - 6 innings, 4 hits, 2 ER's, 2 walks, 11 K's, L (game 2-1)

April 17th - 6 innings, 7 hits, 1 ER, 2 walks, 7 K's, W (game 3-1)

April 23rd - 5 innings, 7 Hits, 4 ER's, 3 walks, 9 K's, L (game 6-2)

April 29th - 6.1 innings, 3 hits, 3 ER's , 3 walks, 6 K's, W (game 4-3)

May 5th - 4.2 innings, 8 hits, 2 ER's , 2 walks, 7K's, L (game 3-1) 

May 10th - 2.2 innings, 5 hits, 5 ER's , 2 walks , 4 K's

I did word it wrong, I meant to say before this start he has been ok. Not great, not decent. Just ok. 

Its obvious he lets up to many hits and walks to many batters but his stuff is good although I think he would benefit from adding another pitch. Another huge problem is he struggles in the first and second innings in most starts. He gets rattled and he ends up throwing 55 pitches in the first 3 innings and can barely make it to the 6th. He has always been a great source of strikeouts but right now he is struggling early on and We can't trust him. I think the commentators said out of the 16 runs he let up (prior to the game) 10 have been in the first and second innings. 

30 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Let's not forget the upside he's flashed in the past... think that'll magically go away? He's stumbled upon another adjustment period. It's still very early in the season.

I agree, I won't drop him because he has a lot of upside. for now I'll just park him on the bench and hope that better days are ahead. 

35 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Jays offense was due, it's perfect chaos.

that lineup did not look very intimidating tonight. Goins, Travis, Barney, Maile, Bautista (declining). A few guys are hitting well but they are missing alot  of bats.