NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Danny Salazar 2017 Outlook

BeantownBashers

55 minutes ago, ZChronicNebula said:

Jays offense was due, it's perfect chaos.

Clarifying with this statement that I meant there are some games a MLB offense will finally 'breakout' and hit. (Joey Bats is obviously in decline, but of course he's going to smack one out of the field once and a while like he's always done in the past). Salazar was the perfect victim in this case, given his recent affairs. 

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really got to watch his start tonight.  He was incredibly wild as usual.  Even more so, he couldn't locate his fastball down in the zone at all tonight.   So it became a very predictable approach for the batter.  If the pitch started up swing because it was a fastball.  If it started low lay off because it was breaking stuff headed out of the strike zone.

Regardless, he was garbage tonight.   Just complete garbage after the Indians staked him to a huge lead.  The Indians announcer said it best as he was getting pulled, "Salazar just wasted a start tonight."

If Kluber was healthy I'd send him down as a wake up call.  Part of me also wonders if he's truly healthy as his command, which has never been good,  is even worse now.

2 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I really got to watch his start tonight.  He was incredibly wild as usual.  Even more so, he couldn't locate his fastball down in the zone at all tonight.   So it became a very predictable approach for the batter.  If the pitch started up swing because it was a fastball.  If it started low lay off because it was breaking stuff headed out of the strike zone.

Regardless, he was garbage tonight.   Just complete garbage after the Indians staked him to a huge lead.  The Indians announcer said it best as he was getting pulled, "Salazar just wasted a start tonight."

If Kluber was healthy I'd send him down as a wake up call.  Part of me also wonders if he's truly healthy as his command, which has never been good,  is even worse now.

He does need a wake up call, I'd send him to the bullpen, it worked for Carrasco, sending him down would work as well.

From cbssports:

Salazar and Indians pitching coach Mickey Callaway will evaluate ways to improve the right-hander's pregame routine to fix his first-inning struggles, Jordan Bastian of MLB.com reports. Salazar thinks his use of weighted balls may be hurting him.

Salazar's velocity has lagged on average in the opening frame this season at 94.9 mph, compared to 95.5 in the second. Also, the 27-year-old has posted a 6.35 ERA since adding that part of his workout sometime around last year's All-Star break, when he was dealing with arm issues. Before installing this technique, Salazar would register 20-25 throws before calling himself game-ready. With the weighted balls, he would only need a few. Regaining his previous rhythm could help him on his way to pitching more like his FIP (3.55) than his ERA (5.20). While he'll always run the risk of bloating a team's WHIP (4.46 BB/9 this year), fantasy owners could use this as a signal to buy low on him, if just for his 13.1 K/9.

7 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

Been a big fan since 2013. I think it's time for me to come off this train.

I sold him last night.  Probably sold low.  But like you I've been on this train since 2013 I'm just sick of it.  If you haven't endured him yet he's probably a solid buy low if I'm being objective.  I just have got to point where I'm sick of watching him.  It isn't fun anymore.  Each team and circumstance is different but if you need K's and don't mind dealing with a high whip he should have better days ahead.

13 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

I sold him last night.  Probably sold low.  But like you I've been on this train since 2013 I'm just sick of it.  If you haven't endured him yet he's probably a solid buy low if I'm being objective.  I just have got to point where I'm sick of watching him.  It isn't fun anymore.  Each team and circumstance is different but if you need K's and don't mind dealing with a high whip he should have better days ahead.

What did you get for him? I'm in a 16 team dynasty so it's tough for me to drop him since there aren't many options out there. He needs to get his act together before I start him again but I think the upside is worth holding on to. 

Just now, Under500Forever said:

What did you get for him? I'm in a 16 team dynasty so it's tough for me to drop him since there aren't many options out there. He needs to get his act together before I start him again but I think the upside is worth holding on to. 

Hope this isn't bench coach territory but I got Brian McCann.  I've had revolving door at catcher all year.  Just wanted solid guy to plug in and not worry about.

11 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Hope this isn't bench coach territory but I got Brian McCann.  I've had revolving door at catcher all year.  Just wanted solid guy to plug in and not worry about.

I almost didn't ask because I was worried it was in bench coach territory too but I don't think there is anything wrong with giving owners an idea of what Salazar is going for at the moment. It's a win win for you because you get a steady catcher that is having a good season so far and you don't have to visit this damn thread anymore. 

2 minutes ago, Under500Forever said:

I almost didn't ask because I was worried it was in bench coach territory too but I don't think there is anything wrong with giving owners an idea of what Salazar is going for at the moment. It's a win win for you because you get a steady catcher that is having a good season so far and you don't have to visit this damn thread anymore. 

If only it was that easy!  Still got him in my AL ONLY league.  Ratios torched already though so don't care as much about poundings.

25 minutes ago, herschel said:

home game.  zimmer called up to start.  going against a rays team that k's a ton.....cant wait for his 4 run first inning.....

I think the Rays blew their load yesterday against Carrasco. With the way baseball works, Danny will put up a QS today. 

plus this...i guess this is good??

Salazar's next scheduled start after Tuesday's appearance will come Sunday against the Astros.

The normal rotation would've normally put Salazar on pace to start Monday's series opener with the Reds, but he'll instead pick up a two-start week with Carlos Carrasco (pectoral) being moved back a couple days. If nothing else changes, this would line Salazar to go toe-to-toe with Houston starter Joe Musgrove.

11 minutes ago, herschel said:

plus this...i guess this is good??

Salazar's next scheduled start after Tuesday's appearance will come Sunday against the Astros.

The normal rotation would've normally put Salazar on pace to start Monday's series opener with the Reds, but he'll instead pick up a two-start week with Carlos Carrasco (pectoral) being moved back a couple days. If nothing else changes, this would line Salazar to go toe-to-toe with Houston starter Joe Musgrove.

Twice the damage this week. Great