NBC Sports Edge Forums

Bryce Harper 2017 Outlook

Just now, absknicks said:

Amazing you've convinced yourself you're 100% right about this when everyone else is telling you you're dead wrong. That's an absurd take. 

Have you chanced to look at any of my most recent posts on this very thread, abs?

• Replies 918
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll join on the side saying he didn't try and throw throw the helmet at him.  To me it looks like he's angrily throwing his helmet to the side.  Kinda like when you throw something out of frustration.  Regardless the fact that it did miss by so much will prob be enough to not factor into the suspension imo.  Intent might be a hard thing to prove in this case.

1 minute ago, RustyMiller said:

I'll join on the side saying he didn't try and throw throw the helmet at him.  To me it looks like he's angrily throwing his helmet to the side.  Kinda like when you throw something out of frustration.  Regardless the fact that it did miss by so much will prob be enough to not factor into the suspension imo.  Intent might be a hard thing to prove in this case.

Have you watched it in slow-mo? I mean, it's pretty cut and dry to me, really confused as to how anyone could see it that way. 

He tried to throw it at the pitcher and it slipped out of his hands. Holding it by the bill, the centrifugal force made it slip from his grip as he came around on the throw.  Not sure how this is even a question. Are we watching the same video?

Just now, JJ1223 said:

He tried to throw it at the pitcher and it slipped out of his hands. Holding it by the bill, the centrifugal force made it slip from his grip as he came around on the throw.  Not sure how this is even a question. Are we watching the same video?

This guy wins! He went all "centrifugal force" on us. It slipped. 

Just now, JJ1223 said:

This is the first ever utterance of the word "centrifugal" on the boards.

33 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Yeah I went back and watched it. Hoping to see him clearly chuck it to the side. He's staring right at Strickland. Think it's clear it slipped. 

He took a little crow hop/windup and tried to throw it at him, it just slipped out of his hand. I don't see why it should make any difference, way more likely to kill somebody with a baseball at 98 mph than a throwing a helmet. A bat, yea i can see that'd get extra time. 

40 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Have you watched it in slow-mo? I mean, it's pretty cut and dry to me, really confused as to how anyone could see it that way. 

Ok, I just watched it slow mo.  It does look like he whiffed. lol.

Here it is for other people.

Edited by RustyMiller

You can't prove what was in his mind. Just like you can't prove what was in Strickland's. But both are pretty obvious. You can see what Harper was looking at when he was throwing and how the helmet slipped out of his hand.

Regardless though, whatever they suspend Harper for, they should suspend Strickland for the same amount minus maybe one day. It's such a [...] move to throw at a guy for hitting a HR. But hitting them 3 years ago? that's ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Can you prove intent? No, you can't so, the fact of the matter is the helmet didn't hit Strickland. 

C'mon. Apply common sense. Watch the slow-mo and trust your eyes. This is not subjective - it's beyond clear what he was trying to do.

14 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Can you prove intent? No, you can't so, the fact of the matter is the helmet didn't hit Strickland. 

He'll definitely state he was throwing the helmet off before he got there...but Joe Torre ain't stupid.

6 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

CSB but I owned Odor last year and now Harper this year.  Sure can pick 'em

Well, both guys could use a boxing lesson from Odor.

Strickland caught him with a clean right but was moving backward and didn't get anything on the punch since he was moving backward and well, he just can't punch. Then Harper really almost caught Strickland with a solid right, but Strickland had just thrown another weak punch that caught Bryce on the arm, weakening the blow. Then it was basically stopped.

But they probably could have let it go on for a while longer and neither guy would have done much damage, unlike Odor, who kayoed Bautista in a few seconds with a shove and a right cross.

i am not sure why so much weight is being put on if he tried to throw the helmet at strickland or no, imo he was throwing it at him, but even if that hit strickland the suspension will be based on the punches thrown. strickland should be suspended much longer than harper and i mean much longer. harper has attitude issues, but strickland is an idiot, you throw 98mph at a batter it can seriously hurt him. he was lucky bryce didnt go after him with bat in hand and nailed him with it to teach him ans other pitchers who do this a lesson.

i bet majority of the forum members here, if we were bryce, we would go there qith our bat and nail strickland on his pitching arm