NBC Sports Edge Forums

Stephen Strasburg 2017 Outlook

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/6/2017 at 0:40 PM, Crusaderfan said:

As a point of reference - In both of the 12 team drafts I have done so far, Strasburg went at pick 58. Next two off the board in each case were Archer and Carrasco.

For me, that is too early for the risk involved. I can't imagine already having another SP at 58 so he would be my SP1 - no thank you.

I don't think that's too early. And I am taking Stras over both Carrasco and Archer. IMO Carrasco has just as much risk associated to him and while Archer has proven to be more durable, he pitches in a much tougher division.

6 hours ago, fletch44 said:

I don't think that's too early. And I am taking Stras over both Carrasco and Archer. IMO Carrasco has just as much risk associated to him and while Archer has proven to be more durable, he pitches in a much tougher division.

Agreed.  pick 58 is in the 5th round of a 12 team league.  If you wait until the 5th for your SP1, then you are going to be picking someone who has some risk.  Stras has the biggest upside.

I think I know the answer to this but too risky to pair him with Yu Darvish @  #54 pick?   I view him being the last after a decent dropoff as I view Carrasco and Archer as a decent drop from Stras (assuming health) 

44 minutes ago, midlip said:

I think I know the answer to this but too risky to pair him with Yu Darvish @  #54 pick?   I view him being the last after a decent dropoff as I view Carrasco and Archer as a decent drop from Stras (assuming health) 

I wouldn't pair Darvish with Strasburg. Darvish already has enough risk and between the two of them you would probably only get 340 innings at most. I would love to pair Darvish with a guy like Cueto. 

Edited by Fuzzy_Slippers
45 minutes ago, midlip said:

Perhaps you should start a RW forum poll prior to each round and use the results to make your picks for you?

22 minutes ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

I wouldn't pair Darvish with Strasburg. Darvish already has enough risk and between the two of them you would probably only get 340 innings at most. I would love to pair Darvish with a guy like Cueto. 

Oh these 2 are just my keeper aces. What could go wrong? Oh that's right... they basically costed me a playoff championship last year after running away with the regular season title.

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, PPolanco said:

Vs Miami and @Philadelphia for opening week.

I unfortunately ended up with him. Setting myself up for disappointment but those matchups might give him the strongest schedule of week 1

+1 lol

5 minutes ago, taobball said:

I think the Winter story of him ditching the slider do seem to be true. He used the slider between in the mid-high teens % (16-18) of the time in 2016. He threw the slider 3 only 3 times today. 

That, and pitching from the stretch, might keep him healthy but at what cost to the counting stats?

The elite K/9 puts him in the top tier even knowing you are going to get a stinker every 3-4 starts