NBC Sports Edge Forums

Matt Andriese 2017 Outlook

fawkes_mulder

2016 was an interesting season for him, bouncing between the pen and rotation. With the Rays acquiring de Leon, I'm not sure there's room for him in the rotation, unless of course the Rays end up trading Odorizzi or Cobb or Archer.

Andriese was really a lot better in the pen though. And as a starter, every time he went through the order, his numbers got worse. His splits show this trend:

W36X6RG.jpg

I'm not really sure his future is as a starter unless he takes some serious strides. However, I think he's got the potential of being an elite reliever. Alex Colome made that transition seamlessly.

In my league an SP/RP eligible reliever with a good K/BB might be valuable, so I'm holding onto him for now. Ironically, he might be more valuable to me as an RP than as a SP. 

Andriese was penciled in as the fifth starter so yeah I'd say he is threatened and was already by Brett Honeywell.  So even if they trade Odorizzi (finally spelled it right, thanks for listing him) Andriese still has to fight off the other guy of the two.  Unless Cobb, who looked bad after his return, continues to be bad and never recovers fully.

41 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Andriese was penciled in as the fifth starter so yeah I'd say he is threatened and was already by Brett Honeywell.  So even if they trade Odorizzi (finally spelled it right, thanks for listing him) Andriese still has to fight off the other guy of the two.  Unless Cobb, who looked bad after his return, continues to be bad and never recovers fully.

Don't forget Chih-wei Hu, too! He really impressed in the futures game.

I'm not going to say he's a difference maker, but he showed some signs when he got a consistent rotation spot in August and September.

It's a sample of 55.2 IP, which isn't a ton by any means... but he struck out 55 in that stretch and walked only 8.  That's a K-rate of 8.89 and a BB-rate of only 1.29, giving him a K/BB of 6.88 and a K-BB% of 19.2%.  So what's that mean exactly?   

For context, Here's the leaderboard in K/BB among qualified SP, where Andriese's 6.88 would've ranked first.  Only 5 guys posted a K/BB over 5.0: Porcello at 5.91, Tomlin at 5.85, Sale at 5.18, Scherzer at 5.07, and Syndergaard at 5.02.  The rest of the top-10 are Bumgarner, Fernandez, Tanaka, Price, Verlander.  Here's the leaderboard in K-BB% among qualified SP, where Andriese's 19.2% would've ranked 10th.  Top-5 there: Fernandez at 26.9%, Scherzer at 25.3%, Syndergaard at 23.4%, Verlander at 21.8%, and Bumgarner at 21.6%.  The rest of the top-10 are Sale, Pineda, Kluber, Archer, and Robbie Ray.  Now, all of those aren't elite pitchers, but clearly combining a high K-rate with a low BB-rate is a very, very good thing.

The culprit for Andriese in that stretch was HRs -- a whopping 2.10 per 9 (on a 16.7% HR/FB), and a .355 BABIP, AND a 65.3% strand rate. Doesn't mean it all fixes itself, or that the K-rate and BB-rate weren't fluky either, or that he even has a spot in the rotation... but there was evidence of some big time skills in the last 2 months of the year, even if the end result doesn't show it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So what do people think of Andriese ROS? I realize he pitches in the AL East, but he's shown improvement in his first two seasons and snuck onto a few 2017 preseason "sleeper" and "under the radar" lists. Worth a spot at the back end of a fantasy rotation? 

38 minutes ago, jnormy said:

Solid game vs. the Marlins tonight. Only blemish was the three BB, but 8 Ks in 7 IP. Anyone see him pitch in this one? How did he look?

He looked like a pitcher who would be a nice back end starter if he pitched in the NL.  If he got traded straight up for Ivan Nova, then their respective fantasy rankings would literally get exchanged in my mind 

On 2017-05-04 at 11:32 PM, merlin401 said:

He looked like a pitcher who would be a nice back end starter if he pitched in the NL.  If he got traded straight up for Ivan Nova, then their respective fantasy rankings would literally get exchanged in my mind 

I don't know if this is really a fair example considering it's the Pirates and the marvelous pitching coach they and what he has been able to do in turning pitchers around. most average/below average pitchers on any team could be traded to Pittsburgh and get turned into a really good pitcher.

11 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I don't know if this is really a fair example considering it's the Pirates and the marvelous pitching coach they and what he has been able to do in turning pitchers around. most average/below average pitchers on any team could be traded to Pittsburgh and get turned into a really good pitcher.

That was his point.

11 hours ago, Sgt Pepper said:

I was planning on streaming him against the Royals tomorrow. KC's uncharacteristic surge of offense today has got me second guessing myself, however.

Well the last two times they had solid offensive games (6 runs in each of the two) they followed it up with 0 runs and 3 runs. Their offense is horrendous so I'm rolling him out there expecting them to revert back to how they've hit all season which is very poorly. 

Archived