NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Freddie Freeman 2017 Outlook

BostonCajun

There's no reason to quit a team losing a top 5 player. Hell, finished in first last season after my first 5 picks being Kershaw/Bautista/Pollock/Archer/Schwarber. You can still compete without a top 5 guy. It's called balance and working the wire. If you aren't active on that, this injury will devastate you, but baseball is a long season and keeping up with team on the wire and trades is how you can win. Just replaced Freeman with Smoak in one league and Joseph in another. Fighting this thing all the way into August. Next man up

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken RosenthalVerified account @Ken_Rosenthal 17m17 minutes ago

Source: #Braves’ Freeman has a fractured left wrist. Expectation is that he will miss at least eight weeks.

Source adds: #Braves’ Freeman will not undergo surgery.

Freddie Freeman has been diagnosed with a fractured left wrist and will miss at least eight weeks.

Freeman won't require surgery, but he'll be in a cast for the next month or so and will then have to begin rebuilding strength. The star first baseman suffered the injury Wednesday when he was struck on the left arm by a high-and-tight Aaron Loup fastball. Atlanta does not have a good internal replacement for Freeman, who was batting .341/.461/.748 with 14 home runs and 25 RBI through 37 games.

Edited by Z06vette

I still feel like we're in the dark here. Rosenthal didn't really provide much new info other than basically confirming the floor that we'd all been assuming anyway. What, exactly, is broken? What is the actual time frame?

Not an owner, but I would strongly discourage you from phoning you season in just because you lost one guy as has been suggested above.  You don't replace Freeman's production on the waiver wire, but you might not end up needing it if other parts of your roster click.  Guys who look like bums right now could break out, and maybe the team that would normally beat you gets a key injury of their own.  It's a long season, and it sucks to have owners check out just because they don't think you can win.  Maybe you can, and even if you can't, you owe it to your leaguemates to try.

Edited by tonycpsu

Just now, tonycpsu said:

Not an owner, but I would strongly discourage you from phoning you season in just because you lost one guy as has been suggested above.  You don't replace Freeman's production on the waiver wire, but you might not end up needing it if other parts of your roster click.  Guys who look like bums right now could break out, and maybe the team that would normally beat you gets a key injury of their own.  It's a long season, and it sucks to have owners check out just because they don't think you can win.  Maybe you can, and even if you can't, you owe it to your leaguemates to try.

Fortunately 1B and 3B are deep this year.  I have been without my #1 pick Donaldson and also another high pick ( Beltre) for pretty much the whole season and have hung in there so far thanks to pickups like Reynolds and Gallo

5 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

Yes, but it will always be "If only I still had Freeman" all season long. No matter how many moves you make, you will still curse yourself and imagine the team with Freeman. It's too much to go through a full season. I would be depressed everyday, no matter how many nice moves I maek, "What if i still had freeman"

Better just to quit now than be depressed rest of season

Edited by terminator10

3 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Yes, but it will always be "If only I still had Freeman" all season long. No matter how many moves you make, you will still curse yourself and imagine the team with Freeman. It's too much to go through a full season. I would be depressed everyday, no matter how many nice moves I maek, "What if i still had freeman"

You frankly sound pretty emotionally fragile if losing your 2nd round pick for a couple months is going to leave you spiraling into depression. I don't think fantasy baseball is for you.

Edited by miasma16

One of the aspects i love about this game is that the sum of an entire roster is way more important than a couple of studs at the very high end. 

2-3 months without freeman really shouldn't hurt that much in the grand scheme of things. 

Freeman might have been good for 15 HR, 50 RBI, .300+ BA during that time ... if you can fill his spot with half that production, you are only out 7.5 HR, and 25 RBI, and a handful of batting average points. That production can easily be made up for in aggregate based on the whole of a well constructed roster.

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

You frankly sound pretty emotionally fragile if having your 2nd round pick is going to leave you spiraling into depression. I don't think fantasy baseball is for you.

To add to that, if your team is dependent on one player, your team isn't very good to begin with.  But yeah, some people are way to dramatic with fantasy sports sometime. its about having fun first and foremost. should find it a challenge to find that gem on the WW or try trading.

1 minute ago, GrapeJuice said:

Everybody just go grab JBJ. He's about to go all Freddie Freeman for the next 4-6 weeks. Problem half solved.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go taunt Happy Fun Ball.

Sorry I'm struggling here... who is JBJ?

This is pretty crushing for most teams.  Guy was on pace to have a monster year and with that park and the weather heating up, there was no reason to except otherwise.  Looking at the wire in my 14 teamer now...I can replace Freeman with Jesus Aguilar, Chris Carter,,TJ Rivera, CJ Cron, or maybe like a Mark Cahna Matt Joyce platoon.  

Now who wants to argue this isn't a big blow?  I don't think you should give up, I'm not, but winning just got a hell of a lot harder.  

7 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Go back to football, this isn't for you

A lot depends on how fast he heals. He could be a fast healer. Keep looking up, news could always be worse. I mean, it is fantasy baseball.

Could have been out for the rest of the season.

Could have been a career ending injury.

Edited by Z06vette

47 minutes ago, MeanMachineMD said:

There's no reason to quit a team losing a top 5 player. Hell, finished in first last season after my first 5 picks being Kershaw/Bautista/Pollock/Archer/Schwarber. You can still compete without a top 5 guy. It's called balance and working the wire. If you aren't active on that, this injury will devastate you, but baseball is a long season and keeping up with team on the wire and trades is how you can win. Just replaced Freeman with Smoak in one league and Joseph in another. Fighting this thing all the way into August. Next man up

In most leagues Smoak and Joseph are already owned because those guys have been on fire for weeks especially Smoak.