NBC Sports Edge Forums

Freddie Freeman 2017 Outlook

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since Freeman didn't damage any ligaments in his wrist, his power shouldn't be negatively affected that much, if at all. He just has a fractured bone and once it heals, he should be back to smoking balls again. 

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Komfy said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but since Freeman didn't damage any ligaments in his wrist, his power shouldn't be negatively affected that much, if at all. He just has a fractured bone and once it heals, he should be back to smoking balls again. 

This, and it's usually a broken hamate that saps guys' power, which is more in the thumb area than the wrist itself... Freeman got hit on the inside of the wrist/forearm.

22 minutes ago, smeeze said:

This, and it's usually a broken hamate that saps guys' power, which is more in the thumb area than the wrist itself... Freeman got hit on the inside of the wrist/forearm.

While a broken hamate is known for its effect on sapping power, just about any wrist or hand fracture will likely have similar consequences. He won't be allowed to begin doing significant strengthening for at least 6 weeks. So when the bone has fully healed he'll just be beginning to get the strength back in his hand, wrist, and forearm. He likely won't be back to his pre injury levels of strength until after the season is over. Add in the fact that it will take some time to get his timing back and I don't think we'll see the MVP caliber player until next year.

Signed a Freeman owner and physical therapist of 15 years.

15 hours ago, meh2 said:

While a broken hamate is known for its effect on sapping power, just about any wrist or hand fracture will likely have similar consequences. He won't be allowed to begin doing significant strengthening for at least 6 weeks. So when the bone has fully healed he'll just be beginning to get the strength back in his hand, wrist, and forearm. He likely won't be back to his pre injury levels of strength until after the season is over. Add in the fact that it will take some time to get his timing back and I don't think we'll see the MVP caliber player until next year.

Signed a Freeman owner and physical therapist of 15 years.

But this is true for every single person? There is no variation? I don't doubt your expertise, I'm just trying to find the silver lining.

2 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

Your silver lining may be on the waiver wire right now. Don't miss out crying over spilt milk. 

Didn't ask for your opinion. Freeman was someone I picked up after his owner dropped him.

25 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

But this is true for every single person? There is no variation? I don't doubt your expertise, I'm just trying to find the silver lining.

The variability lies within what specific bone was fractured and the extent or type of fracture. As far as I know that info hasn't been released yet. That said I'm still pretty comfortable with my above statements. For what it's worth I'm still holding in both my leagues that I own him  as I still think he'll be an above average hitter for the last 8 weeks of the season. At the same time I'd be very happy to trade him to someone who believes he'll immediately pick up where he left off when he gets back.

I mean, the general consensus is he is still top 60-80 value ROS (various updated rankings I've seen).  Definitely not FA. And still truly very valuable if you are in a good position in the standings and/or spots to stash.

• 3 weeks later...
Freeman (wrist) was seen playing catch on the field before Monday's game against the Giants, Kevin McAlpin of 680 The Fan reports.

Spin: This is the encouraging news, as it's the first sign of Freeman resuming any sort of baseball activity since landing on the disabled list in mid-May. If his original eight-week timetable holds true, the 27-year-old would return to the Braves sometime shortly after the All-Star break. In the meantime, Matt Adams will continue to fill in at first base while Freeman is sidelined.
news_breaking.png
88x21_RWdotcom_trans.gif
Mon, Jun 19

giphy.gif

14 minutes ago, vmo1059 said:

Just gonna put this one out there.

Mark Bowman‏Verified account 
@mlbbowman
Following
More
There is a chance Freeman will return from the disabled list as a third baseman

http://m.braves.mlb.com/news/article/237660364/braves-freddie-freeman-could-play-third-base/

Fantasy wise, could be cool to see him get 3B elig

Health wise, I'd rather have him stick at 1B

David O'Brien‏Verified account 
@DOBrienAJC
Freeman wants to move to 3B to accomodate Adams at 1B if that's what is best for #Braves. They'll wait, weigh options. But he's willing.

9 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Not to burst any bubbles but 3B is so deep in standard leagues this year - that there isn't much value difference between a 1B & 3B. Now if you are in a super deep league, or NL only, then it changes things.

That may be true, but some people are struggling with the likes of Castellanos and Maikel Franco at 3B with little to no options on the wire and a team stacked at 1B. So if Freeman can fill that 3B void that makes a huge difference.