NBC Sports Edge Forums

Garrett Richards 2017 Outlook

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

im eyeing him in my drafts.  took him in a mock last night.

any chance he becomes an SP2 ???

Of course there's a chance IMO. He's showed good K rates, has good stuff... 

He's someone though that i'm actually kind of worried about just the effort level. Garrett throws so hard to have elbow issues... like Stras is talking about not using his slider as often to save his arm a bit, but I don't think Garrett has the arsenal for that luxury. He's going to be throwing a lot of relaly fast cutters and hoping to not tear a ligament all season. 

Just now, taobball said:

Of course there's a chance IMO. He's showed good K rates, has good stuff... 

He's someone though that i'm actually kind of worried about just the effort level. Garrett throws so hard to have elbow issues... like Stras is talking about not using his slider as often to save his arm a bit, but I don't think Garrett has the arsenal for that luxury. He's going to be throwing a lot of relaly fast cutters and hoping to not tear a ligament all season. 

so what are your predictions? will this cause his Ks to go down?

1 minute ago, jfazz23 said:

so what are your predictions? will this cause his Ks to go down?

I mean, I don't project pitchers as much because the categories we evaluate pitchers on (ERA primarily) are just some of the most fluctuating on a year to year basis. It's hard to give him an IP count too. I'd give him an 8+ K/9 in 130ish innings probably, or at least the K# for around there. But I also think there's potential that he's not 100% and the K/9 is more like Mid-7s, or is even just more like his 2015 where it was in the Mid-7s. We just dont'r eally know enough about the integrity of the elbow for me to really give Garrett actual numbers that have merit to me. 

4 minutes ago, Mitchell_McDi said:

I believe we have a SP 3 / SP 4 here with nobody really looking at him. Let him be a sleeper. Interesting article: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/richards-732071-angels-hope.html

Or absolutely nothing. Hard to know. I do think Tanaka's recent success is a good omen for Richards, but Richards throws differently than Tanaka. 

Has to be at the nearly no risk portion of the draft or auction for me. I don't believe in the Stem Cell Treatment route. He throws so hard and the throws an insanely hard slider that torques the elbow. It's a shame, I had him as a beautiful mid-round keeper for many years in my leagues but cut bait last year. That zipper is coming and don't want be the one holding the bag with any sort of investment.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

He is subject #1 in the experiment to use stem cells to repair a torn ulnar collateral ligament (he also received a platelet rich plasma injection) He will likely have some form of innings limit and they have established a 100 pitch limit as well. He seems to have equal or superior velocity since before his injury but he has stopped using his change up. He is literally unique in his medical situation. I am not going to save a roster spot for him. 

Edited by Chaco Chicken

As filthy as he is I have heard several times the last few years, usually from Mark Gubicza that he really would benefit from developing an effective change up. I watched him a few times where he wasn't locating his secondary pitches and the batter would just sit dead red. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Garrett Richards 2017 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic