NBC Sports Edge Forums

Garrett Richards 2017 Outlook

Yeah, I was watching the game,  but truthfully, he didn't look concerned at all, as a former pitcher myself, I've had cramps in the same spot he did, esp early in the season.... Not saying I'm a doctor, or ever had some of the injuries he's had, but my prediction is we dodged a bullet on this one.. at least until the next game when we get to hold our breath on every pitch again... lol  But he did have some nasty stuff and movement on his pitches tonight.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, TheChamp said:

Yeah, I was watching the game,  but truthfully, he didn't look concerned at all, as a former pitcher myself, I've had cramps in the same spot he did, esp early in the season.... Not saying I'm a doctor, or ever had some of the injuries he's had, but my prediction is we dodged a bullet on this one.. at least until the next game when we get to hold our breath on every pitch again... lol  But he did have some nasty stuff and movement on his pitches tonight.

One would think even if he's dodged a bullett, given his injury history ( if everything checks out ok ) have to think they go safe here and hold him back a start or two I would think. Hope it's not serious but at same time I hope they put kid gloves on him and preserve him a bit here.

Agreed, but not overly concerned about him missing an early April start for the overall good of his arm, are you?   Frankly anything under 2 months I think we'd all take at this point.  lol My guess is they probably skip him a start just to be safe, or maybe even 10 day dl him and start him on the 11th day.

I imagine it is very serious if they would not let him try to finish the inning and get a chance for the win...

1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

I imagine it is very serious if they would not let him try to finish the inning and get a chance for the win...

If I were the Angels and my best pitcher had just missed a season due to a UCL tear I would take him out at the slightest sign of discomfort. Better safe than sorry in his case. I won't draw any conclusions from that alone.

That said, this is not encouraging news. Let's hope it really was precautionary and Richards will be back relatively soon.

2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Lol, because that is the most important thing.

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

fingers crossed here. i know before the tear last year the angels were saying he had "just a bruise" or something crazy like that (don't quote me exactly). they have a history of undermining things when it comes to Richards. 

This^ The Halos are really great at under-reporting things. It probably is just a cramp, but it does not portend well to how his season will go.

7 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

This^ The Halos are really great at under-reporting things. It probably is just a cramp, but it does not portend well to how his season will go.

There's no way we can bank on his next start. If he goes on the DL, he is probably a drop of me (or at least a hold in a DL slot until someone else gets injured). He looked pretty good tonight, shame he couldn't grab the win.

There's no way we're out of the woods yet. Last year he was randomly scratched from a May 5 start due to "fatigue" after looking great the first month of the season, showing no signs of injury.

A few days later they announced he had a torn UCL. Completely out of the blue. 

I don't trust anything they say about Richards until it's medically confirmed.

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

fingers crossed here. i know before the tear last year the angels were saying he had "just a bruise" or something crazy like that (don't quote me exactly). they have a history of undermining things when it comes to Richards. 

They called it a cramp last year.  The only positive light is that Richards knows what it feels like when you hurt the UCL and from what we've seen it doesn't appear to be the case.

12 hours ago, The Bronx Bozo said:

was cruising the whole game. 95+

Guy has filthy stuff. Just cant stay healthy 

Yeah, he was hitting 97-98 a lot on the A's TV radar gun...I was mostly watching Cotton and flipping back and forth between Moore's start, Pads-Dodgers and the Warriors game early on his breaking pitches he didnt seem to have great command of, spiked some I saw, a wild pitch and Maldonado was working to block some others. 

Edited by parrothead
3 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Agreed.  If I remember correctly it took a while for them to come out with the UCL diagnosis.  They're still saying cramp & pulled as a precaution, but I won't feel better until I see him on the mound again

1 hour ago, parrothead said:

Yeah, he was hitting 97-98 a lot on the A's TV radar gun...I was mostly watching Cotton and flipping back and forth between Moore's start, Pads-Dodgers and the Warriors game early on his breaking pitches he didnt seem to have great command of, spiked some I saw, a wild pitch and Maldonado was working to block some others. 

FB was consistently sitting at 95-97 (topping out at 98 with decent command) even right before he left the game. Curve had filty bite (12-6) but had no command. Other secondary pitches had issues as well.

Fingers crossed

23 minutes ago, The Bronx Bozo said:

FB was consistently sitting at 95-97 (topping out at 98 with decent command) even right before he left the game. Curve had filty bite (12-6) but had no command. Other secondary pitches had issues as well.

Fingers crossed

Yep action on offspeed in terms of movement was good sharp bite, just couldnt locate. 

3 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Yep action on offspeed in terms of movement was good sharp bite, just couldnt locate. 

Usually with elbow issues command is the thing that's affected most. 

My suggestion to GR and the Angels would be for him to throttle back a bit on the velocity, live at 94ish instead of 97/98, and hope it keeps him healthy like did it Tanaka.

Fun Fact: He paid out of pocket for his stem cell injection because LAA's insurance would cover it.

Things we know:

-His elbow is at least partially torn

-He adds stress to said elbow by throwing really hard

-His mechanics are sort of unusual, could add further stress

-He's no longer throwing change to lessen stress on elbow

-Never had great command, but had made strides there...who knows now though

-Already having arm issues, which could stem from adjustments made

-LAA basically lies about injuries and can not be trusted

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Fun Fact: He paid out of pocket for his stem cell injection because LAA's insurance would cover it.

Things we know:

I don't really "like" what you said but it's a strong red pill dosage. 

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Things we know:

Considering I went to an urgent care clinic and they charged me $1100 to say "yep you have ear and sinus infection" I can only imagine what it cost him!!!

10 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Considering I went to an urgent care clinic and they charged me $1100 to say "yep you have ear and sinus infection" I can only imagine what it cost him!!!

Yeah but he also makes an absurd amount of money. Maybe since he needs the elbow for his trade, he can write it off. 

• tonycpsu changed the title to Garrett Richards 2017 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic