NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Garrett Richards 2017 Outlook

brockpapersizer

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does James Andrews have his yearly thread yet? Hoping for the best as Richards is a fun talent who can really go when he's got his full arsenal, but this is eerily similar to last year's "it's no big deal...(wait two days)...his UCL is toast" routine the Angles pulled, plus he was already coming in with the PRP treatment. Just feeling like this won't end well. 

MRI results show elbow sound just nerve irritation so may still end up on the DL per ESPN note

Edited by Dr. Whom

1 minute ago, CFN said:

Hmm. Not bad. Source?

Pedro Moura‏ Verified account @pedromoura

Sources: MRI this morning showed Garrett Richards' elbow is sound. He has nerve irritation in the biceps & is likely to miss his next start.

1. Angels beat writer....

Pedro MouraVerified account @pedromoura  3m3 minutes ago

More
    Replying to @pedromoura

Richards is going on the 10-day DL retroactive to yesterday.

1 reply1 retweet0 likes 

zR6G8ltf_bigger.jpgPedro MouraVerified account @pedromoura  29m29 minutes ago
    Sources: MRI this morning showed Garrett Richards' elbow is sound. He has nerve irritation in the biceps & is likely to miss his next start.
Edited by Yceman1234

Somewhat good news at least.  Makes you question his ability to pitch a full slate of innings this season, but I also think for the cost people had to pay his upside is still through the roof.  If this is turns into something more serious you only lost a 200+ish draft pick.

14 hours ago, evillaw4eva said:

I'm sure it's related to the UCL. If there's irritation there, the Ulnar nerve is part of the bundle that runs through the bicep I think? The median nerve passes through the outside of the arm. 

They're all in pretty close quarters, yeah, but there's no way of telling if it's UCL vs just ulnar nerve vs some other anatomy just by the way they're generically saying nerve irritation.  Hopefully it's just ulnar nerve irritation which can happen in any of us (see: cubital tunnel syndrome).  Either way, it stinks that he's already on the DL...

Edited by emoney24

Any update? With the new 10 day DL, my roster is getting a little clogged and I may need to drop.

Last we heard it sounded minor, but then silence. If this is going to be a month long thing (or longer), I think it is advisable to just cut him and move on.

For context, I have Beltre/Turner/Richards for two DL slots. Also sounds like Carpenter might be headed there if his issues persist.

8 minutes ago, mtblock said:

ugh. Easy drop for me. If they haven't set a schedule for him throwing, and they cancelled his first session, he could be 3-4 weeks out or more. Probably drop city over here.

They are just being cautious.  Why not just put him on the DL if you have room?  Doesn't hurt to see how he recovers.  Could be a quality arm going forward if he doesn't further injure himself.

9 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

They are just being cautious.  Why not just put him on the DL if you have room?  Doesn't hurt to see how he recovers.  Could be a quality arm going forward if he doesn't further injure himself.

Thats the problem, no DL room with Beltre/Turner out. Also stashing Urias. In a week or two I might pick him back up depending on the news, but right now he's a complete gamble.

1 minute ago, mtblock said:

Thats the problem, no DL room with Beltre/Turner out. Also stashing Urias. In a week or two I might pick him back up depending on the news, but right now he's a complete gamble.

My bad, I didn't see your one earlier post.

Garrett Richards (biceps) is progressing in his recovery but still hasn't been cleared to begin throwing.
The Angels are still attempting to determine the cause for the weakness in Richards' biceps and are going to take every precaution with their prized right-hander. There's currently no timetable for his potential return to the Halos. Apr 21 - 7:53 PM

Not sure if I should still be waiting on this guy... 

8 minutes ago, fingy said:
Garrett Richards (biceps) is progressing in his recovery but still hasn't been cleared to begin throwing.
The Angels are still attempting to determine the cause for the weakness in Richards' biceps and are going to take every precaution with their prized right-hander. There's currently no timetable for his potential return to the Halos. Apr 21 - 7:53 PM

Not sure if I should still be waiting on this guy... 

I was on the "top much upside to drop" train for a while but changed my mind yesterday. There's no timetable and my DL is full.

Unless you're in a deep league, he'll be there if you want him back 

1 minute ago, Afatguy said:

Just got placed on the 60-day DL.....two seasons in a row now where he's out for an extended period of time because of injuries.

Don't forget the knee injury he had 3 years ago covering first base and missed nearly the entire season there, too.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Garrett Richards 2017 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic