NBC Sports Edge Forums

Josh Bell 2017 Outlook

• 3 weeks later...

The power surge is a bit surprising no?  With the pirates offense I didn't expect much more than OBP production out of him which isn't enough to warrant fantasy relevance but he's making a list out of me. 

2 hours ago, Baur10 said:

The power surge is a bit surprising no?  With the pirates offense I didn't expect much more than OBP production out of him which isn't enough to warrant fantasy relevance but he's making a list out of me. 

Again, when the Pirates are healthy, they are not that bad. Phil Gosselin has a -10 wRC+ in 30 PA, Alen Hanson 25 wRC+ in 43 PA, Jaso (who I think will be better going forward) 56 wRC+ in 88 PA. Those guys have brought this offense down quite a bit.

Also, the starting lineup has a .338 OBP with a BABIP that is 40 points lower than last years. REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY think for the 10th time, this offense is being vastly underrated. Not saying it's good, but I dont think its below average either.

If someone gets hurt though, and they have to go back to using Ngoepe/Hanson. Then ya, maybe time to panic. But if not, the R/RBI should be there

Edited by mpbaseball22
20 minutes ago, mpbaseball22 said:

Again, when the Pirates are healthy, they are not that bad. Phil Gosselin has a -10 wRC+ in 30 PA, Alen Hanson 25 wRC+ in 43 PA, Jaso (who I think will be better going forward) 56 wRC+ in 88 PA. Those guys have brought this offense down quite a bit.

Also, the starting lineup has a .338 OBP with a BABIP that is 40 points lower than last years. REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY think for the 10th time, this offense is being vastly underrated. Not saying it's good, but I dont think its below average either.

If someone gets hurt though, and they have to go back to using Ngoepe/Hanson. Then ya, maybe time to panic. But if not, the R/RBI should be there

Fair, but the fact is they are injured/suspended. I agree they may be decent going forward though. More importantly though I did not expect this kind of power display from Bell. 

Took a shot as my Freeman replacement. Seems to be finding that power stroke and if he stays at cleanup he should have plenty of RBI opportunities in the 2nd half with a healthy Polanco and (not suspended) Marte.

@Baur10

Thats without Marte and Kang. It will only get better when Marte is back, but without him they are still fine. When Freese and Frazier were out is when this offense was bad. Since Frazier and Freese have been back they have scored 4, 4, 6, 4, 6, and already 4 runs today. 

All in - the last few weeks have definitely been promising.

Edited by phatrat
CSB removed

Still a bit confused about who he is and what he may do ROS. He never hit more than 14 HRs in the minors, but had a .303 career minors AVG.

You guys think he's on the cusp of becoming a decent power hitter or a steady AVG guy with decent RBI's depending on where he sticks in the lineup ? 

6 hours ago, tonywow said:

Still a bit confused about who he is and what he may do ROS. He never hit more than 14 HRs in the minors, but had a .303 career minors AVG.

You guys think he's on the cusp of becoming a decent power hitter or a steady AVG guy with decent RBI's depending on where he sticks in the lineup ? 

He was always a 'not a lot of power now, but give it time' kind of guy. The OBP will be elite in my opinion, and now it's looking like he is going to get 20-25 HR

He was expected to improve his power output considerably with age/maturation, there was just no telling when exactly.  Well, now we know when.  I took a shot with him last year (too soon) and was a little disappointed but he was very green then.  Given the time he had to develop I'm not surprised by the slugging this year.

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2017 at 2:40 PM, MJDrocks said:

Bell has a .845 OPS the last 30 days.  Just grabbed him off the wire... seems like an underrated play going forward.

you were correct in your assessment.  Dude looks legit.  the multi hit games are nice as well.

4 hours ago, JetsAwesome said:

you were correct in your assessment.  Dude looks legit.  the multi hit games are nice as well.

I lost my only share as I sold him for Matt Carpenter some 4 days after picking him off the wire.  I hope he does well though because he has a lot of potential!

• 1 month later...

Josh Bell has very quietly been one of the better hitters in the majors in the second half. In the month of August so far this year, Bell is hitting .351/.437/.579 with 9 extra-base hits, 2 of them being HRs. All that good for a 162 wRC+ for the month. He's posting a 15 BB% with a 7 K% for the month so far which is phenomenal. He's also getting a bit more lift on his hits, raising his flyball % to 34.5 this month (31.3% on the year and 28.6% last year) and dropping his Groundball rate to 41.8% for the month (been a 50% + groundball hitter his whole career). Hopefully this is a sign that he's figured out MLB pitching and his launch angle change holds up and helps him tap into his raw power.