NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Andrew Toles 2017 Outlook

fawkes_mulder

Andrew Toles was one of the dodgers best hitters down the stretch in 2016 and into the playoffs. He has been scouted with a 70 grade run tool, and he has a little bit of pop. If he gets the ABs, he could low key be a 10-30 guy. 

As it is, he'll be on the strong side of the platoon facing RHP. Very small sample last year against Lefties, but he wasn't helpless, wOBA .290.

I think he can be a successful every day player if he gets the opportunity. Even in a platoon-only role, I think he will provide deep league value or situational value for someone keeping bench bats, and if he gets that opportunity, I think he has star potential.

He's currently has an ADP of #331 in NFBC leagues, so the opportunity cost is minimal.

• 1 month later...

I'm really intrigued by the guy, but until they make a trade and open up some clearer playing time, it's hard to really bet much (luckily you don't have to -- the price is dirt cheap).

If RosterResource is right, Van Slyke won't make the team and neither will Bellinger (I think he's nearly a lock to open at AAA).  Ethier is a lefty, so Toles wouldn't be platooned with Ethier anyway.  Gutierrez is a known LHP masher, but I think he's going to end up as Joc's caddy.

Toles may actually get a shot at everyday ABs out of the gate, and if he struggles to hit LHP, then maybe they consider giving Joc a chance against LHP while Gutierrez plays LF.  If Toles struggles to hit, period, then we could see Bellinger sooner than we think.

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

I'm really intrigued by the guy, but until they make a trade and open up some clearer playing time, it's hard to really bet much (luckily you don't have to -- the price is dirt cheap).

If RosterResource is right, Van Slyke won't make the team and neither will Bellinger (I think he's nearly a lock to open at AAA).  Ethier is a lefty, so Toles wouldn't be platooned with Ethier anyway.  Gutierrez is a known LHP masher, but I think he's going to end up as Joc's caddy.

Toles may actually get a shot at everyday ABs out of the gate, and if he struggles to hit LHP, then maybe they consider giving Joc a chance against LHP while Gutierrez plays LF.  If Toles struggles to hit, period, then we could see Bellinger sooner than we think.

I think that Joc is going to be the player that gets a crack at everyday AB's out of the gate.  Roberts has already said as much.  A Toles/Gutierrez LF platoon is very likely.  I like Toles a lot in 14+ Team Leagues and NL Only leagues but I don't see him on 12-team mixed league radar unless he breaks out of the platoon.

15 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

I think that Joc is going to be the player that gets a crack at everyday AB's out of the gate.  Roberts has already said as much.  A Toles/Gutierrez LF platoon is very likely.  I like Toles a lot in 14+ Team Leagues and NL Only leagues but I don't see him on 12-team mixed league radar unless he breaks out of the platoon.

That's what it sounds like for sure, but there's other paths for Gutierrez to get in the lineup to mash lefties other than taking Toles spot... that was my only point.  I think Roberts' quote was something to the effect of that platoons would be determined by the "quality of at bats."  Meaning Joc may get a chance at full time, and so may Puig (those two he specifically said should play everyday), but if Joc's flailing against LHP, he's gonna get platooned.  

I'd feel better about Toles if they traded Either already (or Puig), but we'll see how it all plays out.  Toles offers a tool the rest of them don't have -- 40 SB speed.

Just now, JFS179 said:

That's what it sounds like for sure, but there's other paths for Gutierrez to get in the lineup to mash lefties other than taking Toles spot... that was my only point.  I think Roberts' quote was something to the effect of that platoons would be determined by the "quality of at bats."  Meaning Joc may get a chance at full time, and so may Puig (those two he specifically said should play everyday), but if Joc's flailing against LHP, he's gonna get platooned.  

I'd feel better about Toles if they traded Either already (or Puig), but we'll see how it all plays out.  Toles offers a tool the rest of them don't have -- 40 SB speed.

Yeah, even if Joc mashes lefties and Toles remains in a platoon, he should still see 400+ AB's.  Definitely a guy to monitor.

• 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Speaking on monitoring, any updates on how he will be used this season?  Or at least how he will be used to start out this season anyway?

All signs point to him still being on the strong side of a platoon in LF.  However, with Either and Thompson beginning the season on the DL, I could see him getting some AB's against lefties.  It doesn't appear that Joc is going to be involved in a straight platoon but I think it's safe to assume that when he needs routine off days they're going to be planned when lefties are on the mound.  That could potentially open up more  leftie AB's for Toles.

On 3/26/2017 at 7:51 PM, MJDrocks said:

All signs point to him still being on the strong side of a platoon in LF.  However, with Either and Thompson beginning the season on the DL, I could see him getting some AB's against lefties.  It doesn't appear that Joc is going to be involved in a straight platoon but I think it's safe to assume that when he needs routine off days they're going to be planned when lefties are on the mound.  That could potentially open up more  leftie AB's for Toles.

Thompson was sent to the minors today(Thursday).

On 3/26/2017 at 8:51 PM, MJDrocks said:

Franklin Gutierrez, .846 career OPS vs lefties, is the platoon partner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

really too bad. he was off to a pretty good start. went hard after mccutchen's liner in the corner trying to save urias's no-hitter, probably tried to do something he wouldn't normally have tried to do. going full speed after the ball and then trying to stop before he hit the wall, knee gave without even striking anything. people are saying he hit the wall but that's not how the injury happened, pretty sure it was when he planted to try to stop

at least this will calm down the bellinger thread

Archived